A/C in the 360 needs recharge | FerrariChat

A/C in the 360 needs recharge

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Sep 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Ok I know it's hot as hell here in Florida. Today is 95 degrees. With the heat index it's 113. But it seems like the A/C can't keep me comfortable.
    I got some second hand info that there was an electronic component valve that has to be "released or opened" in the system in order to recharge it. Thinking there may be a need for the SD2 or Leonardo.

Is this true for my 2003 360? Is it only on the later cars? Or is it even installed on any 360? Or is it on the 430?

Thanks in advance, ken

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They are also notorious for leaking at the compressor. You should have theme check for leaks before the recharge.

3. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    I had my AC recharged in my 2001 spider no issues after fixing a leak. Just the same as any other cars AC

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks for the info. Car has 24K miles on it. Came from California/Nevada. So I assume it's not from lack of use that the seals may have dried out and are leaking.
    In any event I will check for a leak at the compressor. thanks.

Is there any info on the electronic relay/switch that prevents charging without the scanner hooked up and allowing the switch to open?

5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I've got a slow leak on my car that takes about 2 yrs to bleed down. With that being said, there is no electronic device you have to open or manipulate prior to recharging. Also, the HVAC system in the 360 is really not that great...infact, I'm more likely to park my car in the Tx summers rather than winter...

For example, according to the WSM, a correctly functioning HVAC system should be blowing an average temp of 46-55 F from the vents when the outside temp is 68-72 F. Where as my 2006 Chevy truck blows around 36-39 F when it's over 90 outside

KC360 FL likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The best you can hope for on most any system is a 40 degree delta. That is pretty much limited by physics, energy to convert liquid/gas. My system worked pretty well and I am pretty sure I did better than that BUT I live in Norther CA so I don't have quite the same situation you do. Humidity hurts you in that the air hold more heat (energy) in a given volume. Thinking about it: I would expect humidity to limit the temp drop ambient to vents. That is probably why Ferrari specified the smaller spread; so they didn't have problems in places with high humidity.

By the way, I am not an expert on these systems. I just know enough of the physics to be dangerous. There are others here that DO understand HVAC very well and can probably provide more insight.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    No electronic gizmo. No special valve. Go to Walmart, buy the $5 can of freon. (assuming you have the rest of the freon kit with the valve if not buy the $10-15 complete kit) Then take off the carpet behind the front carpet, on which the inflator is attached. Remove the black cap on the right hand side. You'll see it matches the diameter of the freon attachment. IF it don't fit.. wrong nipple. (protect your eyes and hands please)
    Start the car, attach the freon nipple and add some freon quirt by squirt until the pressure comes up and the aluminum hose cools nicely and the air-conditioning cools. Do it one year. then get it diagnosed if it recurs or filling it doesn't work. Too cheap not it.

KC360 FL likes this.
  8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Check that the shraeder valve on the charging port is tight. That's a very common place to have a freon leak.

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    There have been some very hot days here in Switzerland, around 35 degrees celcius/95 degrees fahrenheit, and my aircon worked very well, keeping us nice and cool. So at least from my perspective, it should be able to do the job. As others stated, maybe you need the AC topped up or some other check of the overall system :) Good luck!

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    As usual, thanks to all you folks.
    I will probably do the charge myself if it needs it. I have the equipment to do it. I have most of my experience in the classic R12 systems. 134A not so much. And since it's not a daily thing I do my knowledge is limited.
    I do remember from my class to be certified that the R12 is much better at cooling (changing from gas to liquid IIRC) than the 134A. But still I've had my other cars with 134A cool pretty well so I'm thinking it just may need a charge. Also will stick my vent thermometer in a vent and see what's what.

Thanks guys, Ken

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’d never do a recharge without finding and fixing the leak first.

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I bought one of these leak detector a few years ago. Cheap and effective. You can find them on eBay for about $30.00.
    Here's a video of it in action:

13. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I bought Skidkid's old 360 Spider and I took it on its first mini-road trip (about 130 miles round trip) yesterday in humid FL. It was about 90 F (100 with heat index) and the A/C had no trouble keeping the car cool (with the roof closed). I haven't checked the temperature drop with a thermometer in a vent but I won't be surprised if I am getting about a 40 degree drop.

KC360 FL likes this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The maintenance schedule calls for changing the receiver/dryer/filter and refrigerant every two years, which hardly anyone does. It really helps on Ferraris to let the vacuum pump used for a refill stay connected overnight and pull as much vacuum (and remove as much water) as possible before refilling. Any competent AC shop should be able to do this for you with a little prompting and maybe a little extra cash. They can also check for leaks. I would definitely not recommend doing this yourself unless you have a very good vacuum pump and really know what you are doing.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Can't agree more. Also, if you live close to an AutoZone, they have vacuum pumps in the Loan-a-tool program and unlike most of the things in there, it hardly gets rented since most people don't know it's there. IIRC, it's a deposit of $99.00 and when you bring it back, you get your money back.

16. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That was new to me. So, just get some of the Ferrari compressor oil, some cans of unadulterated R134A, some dye for later diagnosis and you can do the job by yourself and save a lot of bucks. Unless you have a a significant leak this should allow you to limp into the next summer season. At that time, you would need to do it all again, but this time breaking open the system and replacing the inline dryer.

I think that the recommendation for an overnight vacuum draw-down is a bit over the top. As I recall, the standard is about 30 minutes.

I did a top-up this summer and was able to get the temperature drop to about 38 F degrees with an ambient air of 85 F and a fan blowing air into the nose condenser.

R12 or R134A, the difference is in the thermodynamic properties. No mystery here.