A/c pipes replacement | FerrariChat

A/c pipes replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by leslie_choo, Oct 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Hi all

Since I have changed to R134 refrigerant which is smaller molecules than R12 refrigerant. It does leak slowly every 40-60 days need top up . I am thinking of replacing the A/C pipes from the engine bay all the way to the dashboard . Has anyone done that ? How difficult to do this ?

My engine is out for piston ring replacement so I thought it’s probably a good time to do so .

What’s ur view ?

Thanks
    Leslie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Replace the drier also. And the heater hoses thru the console.

3. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    I have already replaced the drier and whatever I can see from outside including compressor . I am not sure how difficult is the A/C hose pipe from the engine bay all the way to dashboard . I cannot See it underneath the car too due to it’s all covered up.
    I am Wondering if anyone has done it ?

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Have just had this done, but the car is apart for restoration already.
    All of the new lines (Lined for the smaller 134A molecules, though we're running real R12), expansion valve, drier, fittings, AND a larger, more efficient condenser (roughly the same size as one for a Kenworth) was all about $600.
    Can't break down the labor cost because each block of time is also covering other work at that moment.
    However:
    • Remove all AC lines, fit dryer to measure to have new one made - pull all water lines & wash out tube cavity under car - wash, scrub & inspect all 4 tubes for spraying lizard skin - drill out rivets in RH rockers for access to vac / AC lines was one block of 8 hours
    • Mock up radiator / condenser - make alum mounts for condenser, weld to radiator - pull firewall & spray lizard skin on back side - install front water pipes to radiator & center tubes - cut / fit new small hoses to heater box was one block of 8 hours
    • Finish water line fitment, A/C lines and reinstall Fuel pumps and Accumulators was one block of 8 hours
    Evaporator/heater and its box have been rebuilt also, but are on a different invoice. Fitting some of this stuff, especially freshly-LizardSkinned tubes/panels through/around the chassis tubes and all of the masking/unmasking involved to shoot the roof and back window/package tray area, ate quite a bit of the time.

5. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thanks !!! , this is great info . There are hundreds of rivets on the panel underneath the car . If I remove the panel as per shown in picture circled in red by drilling out the rivets . I should be able to see all the A/C piping to have easy access to remove them correct ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I think if I remember: One of the A/C lines goes thru the fuel tank?

7. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also remember this, but not at all. it depends on the country version

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    pretty sure you just drill out the twenty or so rivets in the middle of the car. Tiny panel, 20 inches by 5 inches.

10. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I have my pass side fuel tank out right now. there are two connections for the air conditioning lines with O-rings.
    This is a US car. For fun you should remove and inspect the fuel tank to pump fittings to inspect for rust as
    the fittings are steel. Mine were 50% plugged and the internal tank filters were destroyed.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 Bobcat S-160

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.

12. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    There are internal filter screens inside the fuel tanks (think screen-wrapped perforated pipe, in simplest terms), prior to the fuel even getting to the fittings. One of mine was "OK" but is getting reworked. The other was just gone, and a new one is being fabricated.

13. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    I have removed my engine for belt change. I really want to change all the a/c hose as it leaks slowly probably due to age of the hose and also the R134 has smaller molecules . Now here is what I found

I took a pic from the fuel tank area . Very strange that my A/c hose from compressor goes into the fuel tank ( highlighted Green ) and from the other end of the fuel tank ( highlighted Red) outflow to the indash evaporator . How does this work ?? Why will it go thru the fuel tank ?? My mechanic is worried to remove them . Pls share your experience , thanks

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also once wondered about that - no euro version has this
    I think that this is only for cooling down the fuel temperature a little for the exhaust emission controls?

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe it would cool the refrigerant, The fuel in the tank should remain constant. Or it was just a convenience to run the lines. Curious why not on Euro models?

16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    R134 has a larger molecule so it takes less to fill the system and leaks slower.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

134 leaks like a sieve. Well known issue and required the industry to re engineer hoses to make it suitable. One industry supplier I use jokingly says its hard to keep in a steel bottle. Compressor rebuilds have become commonplace because of the stuff.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018

Fuel cooling. Has evaporator in tank. I'm guessing your mechanic is not a Ferrari mechanic.

I have changed A/C hoses and never considered removal of the panel. No need. Simple enough to just pull through.

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Correct is just the opposite of what I said R134a is smaller.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Cannot wait to see what terrible characteristics 1234YF has in store for us.

As of now it makes R12 look cheap.

21. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Yes you are right , we only have around 3 testarossa left in Singapore so not many mechanic knows this . Can I assume that I don’t need to touch the fuel tank , just remove the inflow and outflow Hose as per highlighted green and red ? And I believe the dashboard don’t need to fully remove too if I only change the hose up to the front evaporator and indash cooling evaporator ?

Thanks

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The Testarossa A/C was designed for R-12. If you can recover or replenish R12, that would be the best !

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Correct on the fuel tanks. It has been a while but as I recall both AC hose fittings under the dash are accessible without dash removal.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Absolutely.

I only use R12 in R12 cars. Many shops don't because they dont want to be bothered with buying the equipment required by law and they make more selling you on the very bad idea of conversion and then of course they get to sell you a recharge every season. There is good money to be made screwing up your A/C.

If you shop smart virgin R12 is less now than it was 10 years ago.

25. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Ebay has plenty of R12 to buy. Never an excuse not to use it.

willrace likes this.