A/C stopped working suddenly | FerrariChat

A/C stopped working suddenly

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    On my '08 599 my AC suddenly quit working. My mechanic determined that the compressor was shutting off right after the system started, likely high pressure switch. There were no leaks (checked) and still happening after recharge so replaced the dryer and the switch, evacuated and recharged the system. It blows cold when on full "Lo" but not as cold as it used to. It is just barely cold if it is on a temp setting. The fan appears to vary as expected but not cold.

Since the fan varies I assume it is not the temp sensor but maybe it is something in the control panel. Has anyone else seen this type of issue? Any suggestions on how best to chase this further before going back to the mechanic?

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All I can tell you is I had a compressor seize up, snap the belt and I lost my power steering. Will you replace the compressor?

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It isn't leaking but maybe it's efficiency is down. Next steps will be to take some specific temp measurements. Mechanic checked the pressures but I will see if there is any unexpected temp drops across any parts of the system. Then go from there. If it takes new compressor, or a rebuild, so be it. I will update as I progress.

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’ve had this kind of problem with other cars I’ve owned (non-Ferrari), where it turned out to be the heater control valve getting sticky. The AC was doing it’s part to cool the air, but because the heater matrix was still being fed warm coolant, the air was being heated whilst being cooled. It was just as if the AC wasn’t working quite as well as it should.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I was thinking about your suggestion and you may well be onto something. Before, as it would come near cabin temp I could hear what sounded like a stepper motor hunting (small movements back and forth). Now that you mention it, I don't hear that sound any more. I guess I need to open it up and take a look.