A Career in the Armed forces instead of being an Engineer or lawyer? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A Career in the Armed forces instead of being an Engineer or lawyer?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you could get to pilot puff or spooky thatd be pretty fun.

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ok, its a little late do git this thread back up again, but i spoke with a Marine recruiter and, since they do not have an academy to draw from, they guarantee a seat in flight school prior to even going to PLC or OCS. I still have not gotten a call from an AF or ANG recuiter yet.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    "However, if you are interested in becoming a pilot, you
    may want to do some research. The chance of you becoming a pilot in any other service, without going to a service academy, is slim. The Marine
    Corps will guarantee you a seat in flight school prior to you going to
    Officer Candidate School and accepting your commission."

This is a quote from an email form a rectcruiter i've been correspondinf with. I've heard, in this thread, that recruiters will say what it takes to get you more interested.

4. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Tim,

Ignoring the military possibility for a second, I think your perception of "the real world" is a little distorted. Don't worry, that's normal. :)

In truth, the odds that you'll find yourself slogging away day-in-day-out at the same job for 25 years are pretty slim. The world is far more chaotic than that. My own "career", such as it is, has been a string of random events that I've been able to capitalize on (mixing a little luck with a little skill). Except for getting your first job, your educational history will have far less influence than you think. Connections and experience will drive your career.

I went to Johns Hopkins University for undergrad. I think at the time it was ranked number 8 overall by whoever ranks those things. All jobs and job offers I've ever received have been through connections. First, lucky ones, later through my reputation. Nobody cares where I went to school.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts at the wizened age of 33.

5. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    Wow!!! so many wonderful comments here. "Life is a mystery. You can plan, but one simple thing may change your life completely." I grew up expected to be an attorney, lawyer and related. All my life, I was told to study hard, get a professional job, and live happily ever after. Well, I couldn't picture that life back then. I joined the Navy, and that was the best decision I've ever done with my life. If I were to live my life again, this is the decision that I would be glad to keep. The Navy gave me my outlook on life, a sense of direction, and turned me to a man. It tought me the meaning of honesty, loyalty, and at the same time....an ass kicker. To keep this story short, I love my job now and working on a law degree at night so that I can get myself out of any traffic violation I may have :D in the future.

Every branch of services defense America. Regardless of your chosen one, you will be happy because this is what you want to do and it is your life line decision. Everyday in the service is a different day....with a bunch of different bull****s. But these are the kind of BS that makes it interesting, fun, and build your charactor a long the way. I salude everyone in the service.............that is all I can say.