A dire problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A dire problem

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dom, Mar 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The private school that my daughter attends is a catholic school. Today was confessions. My daughter told the priest about the ferrari vs lambo issue in my household. The priest said that he thought it was not a sin. My daughter replied "My dad said it was a sin"

Real life with kids- you just can't make this stuff up. When she told us, we were on the floor laughing our heads off.

P.S.- DGS- My daughter (and son) do kart regularly.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That sucks, I really feel for you. Lucky for me my 4 year old Graddaughter only thinks about Ferrari's. Her favorite Ferrari is "the red one". She even told me to get rid of the Jaguar and get another red Ferrari.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #28 toggie, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    The children need to study their history in more detail.

Specifically, this lesson from Professor Napolis:
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOpGUeCZiI
    (From his thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224522)

The car making the pass around 1:29 minutes into that youtube video is simply spectacular.

Sit with the children and explain what the Targa Flora race is to them.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_Florio

Then read them bedtime stories about the Scuderia Ferrari:
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuderia_Ferrari

For example, this nugget:

"The Ferrari team has achieved unparalleled success in Formula One. Ferrari cars and Ferrari drivers have also won the Mille Miglia 8 times, the Targa Florio 7 times, and the 24 hours of Le Mans 9 times. In F1, the Italian team has the unique distinction of owning nearly all significant records (as of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix), including:
    - Most constructor championships: 16
    - Most driver championships: 15
    - Most Grand Prix starts (all-time):777
    - Most wins (all-time): 209[1]
    - Most wins (season): 15 (tied with McLaren)
    - Most podiums (all-time): 622
    - Most podiums (season): 29
    - Most one-two finishes (all-time):79
    - Most pole positions (all-time): 203
    - Most points (all-time): 4,925.27
    - Most points (season): 262
    - Most fastest laps (all-time): 218
    - Highest winning percentage: ~26% (for teams with at least 10 wins)
    In 2004, Ferrari also surpassed Ford as the most successful F1 engine manufacturer, with 182 wins (to Ford's 176 wins). Due to the availability of the Cosworth V8 to private teams, a total of 6,639 Ford-powered cars were entered between 1967 and 2004, compared to 1,979 starts for Ferrari and Petronas-badged engines during the same period."

Those kids will be full-fledged tifosi in no time. :)

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    This is a common misconception by 8-10 year olds. Thankfully by 18 they usually realize classy and cool > flashy and trendy.

5. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Don't teach them too much history, they will turn into Maserati enthusiasts. :)

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Your daughter sounds like she's warming up to be the class cut-up. ;)

Show her the Shell commercial with all the F1 Ferraris, and/or get her a poster of Ferrari's F1 cars, and challenge her to find the history of Lambo in F1. (Knowing how to google is becoming an essential skill.)

7. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Tell her about the Lamborghini history. Tractors, how cool is that?

Mind you, while Ferrari was dominating F1 and sportcar races, they did win something:

"Lamborghini tractors were considered to be among the very best, in the beginning Ferruccio even organised tractor-pulling contests between his machines and those belonging to nearby farmers, just to show that his tractor was the most powerfull one."

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Consider yourself very lucky.

At least they won't come and hassle you out of the keys to your Ferrari when they are 16.

9. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Every day, I'm giving my son the keys to the Ferrari, saying he can take it for a drive.
    Then when he actually gets old enough to start the engine, I will say: "c'mon I have been offering you to drive it for many years, you had your chance".

BTW, had a good laugh about "the sin".

10. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    List them on Craigs List. There is a section for under achiever uneducated little ingrates. My boarder collie katie loves my Ferrari. I have a bumper sticker that states " My boarder collie is smarter than your honor student. So put them on the open market, you won't get much but at least you will be shed of them.

Howard
    tr0768

11. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I'm kind of bullish on Lambo's. They're neat cars and the guy who started building them did it because of the way Enzo treated him when he was trying to buy a Ferrari. I like Ferraris too, and own one. In fact there's a lot of cars on the road that I really like.