A dream day in the desert with GTO 64 #5575GT | FerrariChat

A dream day in the desert with GTO 64 #5575GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Nembo1777, Nov 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1 Nembo1777, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Ferrari 250GTO 5575GT: after a two year and nine month delay due to the Covid US travel ban for Europeans a major project has finally become reality: three major articles for Octane magazine in the Arizona desert.

I always preferred the design of the 64 version so to be entrusted with 5575GT, the very last GTO for an afternoon of testing and photography was completely surreal. It was a *****cat to drive and as all its drivers in period and collectors ever since have said it flatters you by being so easy to exploit: an unforgettable afternoon!
    The two other articles are mentioned in the Maserati section: 450S #4504 and one off 450S Costin Zagato: let's keep them separate in their respective sections.

Many thanks to the kind owner who wishes to remain anonymous. It was a huge honor to be allowed to test these three absolute icons!:) My gratitude to Nick Lish and his assistant Tony for excellent photography, the ace team managing and handling the cars and all the very efficient and friendly staff at the top notch Apex Motor Club race track starting with track manager Matt and car to car pilot Jeremiah. Two career and passion topping days! Photos copyright Nick Lish for Octane Magazine UK.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

peterp, Ryan S., franmort and 29 others like this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Fantastic, Marc! When will the Octane article be published?

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Steven, it will be in several months, this is not a series of articles to be botched, I want to do them right, in depth:) FYI I never begin writing researching until AFTER the photoshoot and test drive are in the bag because if it gets cancelled then you have worked for nothing as there will be no article.

Tomorrow I leave the Arizona sun, palm trees and endless blue skies for foggy rainy old Europe (argh!) and next week I start:)

There is another one I would like to thank without whom these articles would not have happened: he will let me know if I can mention him:)

Ryan S., pdxjim488, miurasv and 2 others like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You da man. I wish I fit in these old bangers, but I don't.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Makes sense, Marc. I'm sure you will enjoy researching the car thoroughly and the article will be all the better that you experienced and drove it.

Looking forward to it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Every time I got out of the GTO I shamelessly asked someone to pull me out, needed the help as it was tight to get out of:)

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I remember this one attending the FCA Annual Meet in 1983 at Kohler/Road America. Carle Conway then. I gather it went through the hands of Chris Cord well before that too.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The person I mentioned earlier who was instrumental in making these three test drives happen is Dyke Ridgley thanks to his continuous help. His technical expertise is mind boggling and very eye opening so grazie Signore:)!

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Marc-
    You are now officially my hero!
    The '64 version is indeed special, and has always been my favorite.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks IRA, I am just another humble enthusiast and yes the GTO 64 is the epitome of classic GT's I think. Pierre Bardinon once told me just that, of course he owned 5573GT.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  12. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #12 3500 GT, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actually two days and I learned from prior experience to drive the -relatively- slower car on day one. The other way round would create an anticlimax.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Fantastic period photo at Monthlery, thanks for posting.
    She will be a focus of the article actually as I have three driver interviews coming up about her.

readplays likes this.
  15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    With Dyke Ridgley helping you, the technical side of your articles really couldn't be better!

16. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Spettacolo!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

FYI my article on 250GTO series 2 5575GT is now out today in the UK on the cover of Octane magazine issue #241 "July 2023".

It is also the 20th Anniversary commemorative issue which is a nice hallmark:).

The article is eleven pages which I am very happy with even though I delivered a much longer text (and future book chapter) but there is only so much a magazine can print.
    Nick Lish did a fantastic job for the photography.

I did this trip and the three test drive articles at a loss just because you only live once since the magazine could not have paid for my travel expenses. I sold a Ghibli Spyder a month before the November Arizona trip so that helped make an unforgettable trip and three test drives happen:).

I found out several things about 5575GT in the course of research which had not been discovered before, even in Doug Nye's masterpiece book which was most interesting, will mention in a later post.

The driver interviews including Jean Guichet, 95, oldest Le mans winner still with us, were fabulous and the tale of intense, talented lady racer la Marquise Annie Soisbault de Montaigu is as colorful as it gets!:) The author of her biography, Frederic Reydellet was most helpful.

Please keep the comments here about the article NOT about the magazine's delivery problems, that belongs in the magazine thread elsewhere, not here, thank you.

Below the two covers, subscriber and newsstand: enjoy it!:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone, UroTrash, FF4X4 and 10 others like this.
  18. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Looking forward to reading my copy.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  20. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Marc: You always do a wonderful job. I was a pleasure working with you. We all appreciate your respect for the cars and how you tell their stories.

Nembo1777, ivo73, stevenwk and 4 others like this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you very much Dyke, your engineering expertise was a huge help.

ivo73 likes this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Looking forward to being totally shocked to receive my copy.:rolleyes:

23. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    I'd like to have that issue also, but Octane has ceased deliveries in the US.
    It's not as if my subscription expired.
    Have heard nothing from the Brits.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Been looking forward very much to reading your Octane article on Ferrari 250 GTO #5575 GT, @Nembo1777 and it did not disappoint.

It's a great write up of the technical and bodily differences between the '62 S1 and '64 S2 250 GTOs and the particular history of the last ever 250 GTO, chassis #5575 GT. Very nice interview with Jean Guichet, one of its pilots and oldest living Le Mans winner and interesting details of the ownership by Annie Soisbault. To round the article off there are Marc Sonnery's driving impressions.

A very enjoyable and informative read. Thank you, Marc.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #25 Nembo1777, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Thank you Steve, much appreciated.

I always preferred the design of the 64 and they have received far too little coverage compared to the 62-63 cars in books and articles apart of Doug Nye's fabulous book in which Dyke Ridgley had a major role.

One thing that did not make it in the short version of my text used in the magazine is something that emerged during my research.

It was always believed that Nicole Roure (Annie Soisbault's usual co driver during those years) did the Chamrousse hillclimb August 30 1964 in 5575GT and people have long looked for photos but they proved as elusive as Yeti sightings.

I had several conversations with Maurice Louche the photographer who has a treasure trove of Tour de France, general racing and hillclimb photos. He looked and looked and looked in his archives but there were no shots of a GTO 64 in Chamrousse that weekend. Eventually he worked out that Roure had been driving a 250SWB. I have a low res version but can't post it. The car is plain seems red or dark colored with Italian plates apparently. So that is one tiny little thing corrected in 5575GT's history.