A driver's first pole, and who cares? SPOILER | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A driver's first pole, and who cares? SPOILER

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Dubai Vol, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

If he stays out until after FM's and LH's first stop then it would be significant -- but I'm betting that Kimi is being crafty and could be leading after his first stop ;)

2. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    +1000

Glad to see BMW coming to pace with F and M. It would be better see a race with more tha two pony's. It's been boring the past 3 years watching the top 4 drivers just swap positions.

And for us living on the other side of the pond in the US, sorry to the rest of you if we can't get up at 3am to watch qualifying...just leave the spoilers out of the title.

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I agree i liked it better when the cars went out 1 at a time, with the previous winner getting to go last.

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Mario Thiessen said that the pole was unexpected so maybe they aren't as light as one would think. It's what Kimi said recently. We now have a third team that can take points away from him in the WDC battle.

p.s. the OP has apologized. Maybe he should PM a moderator to have the title changed so the arguing can stop.

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm glad for BMW, it's important to get more competition in F1 and we've seen that this year. Also BMW has been working for many years to get results like they have. It's not easy in a sport that bends over backwards for Ferrari. Hopefully Hamilton can keep the car off the walls and get a victory tomorrow... Oh and way to go BMW

6. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    No. You're completely wrong.

7. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    No kidding, if I didn't have the chance to watch the race or qualifying live this would be the last website I would visit.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Tried to fix the title so it is still recognizable without giving away too much.

Regarding the pole position:

Well, I was very happy for Kubica and BMW to have gotten the pole. They deserved it and hopefully they'll get a win or two this season.

Having said that, with the refueling rules as they are, the glamour of the pole position has been diminished: In the old days it meant something. Nowadays somebody gets the pole and everybody speculates that he must be on a light fuel load. I wish they'd abandon that rule, so getting pole position becomes decoupled from fuel loads and race strategy. But I guess that's asking too much if the head of the sport is preoccupied with living out his Nazi fantasies.

9. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    No offense to Andreas, but the thread title still gives away essentially who it was. It eliminates Kimi, Hamilton, Heidfeld, Massa, and Alonso, leaving Kubica and Heikki. I understand predicament of trying of keeping the topic of thread but without the spoiler. Just my 2 cents.
    BTW I'm with the group that is anti-spoilers, sometimes I instinctively go to FChat when I wake up and have to dive away from my computer to miss the spoilers.

10. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Back on topic, I'm happy for Bobby Kubica. He seems like a nice guy and is a great driver (maybe he should be in the Ferrari next year). Plus, its neat to say that a Pole is on Pole, how many times is that joke going to played tomorrow :rolleyes:

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I agree that the present qualifying system s..ks at least it leaves some mystery as to fuel loads and pit stop strategy. Let's hope that there are changes coming.

12. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I really don't like how the 11th best qualifier has an advantage over the 10th best. Number 11 is allowed to change his fuelload, while 12 cannot. They really need to fix the qualifying, its very boring as it is right now.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Argh. I know. Give me a different title and I post it.

14. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    That was awesome watching his time over shadow Hammy.
    I think he is a great driver and has a lot of "Poletential".

sorry

15. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I much prefer the old 'balls to the wall' quali system, but I cared that RK got pole. A nice accomplishment. Hamilton rates him highly.

16. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Good pole by Kubica, the qualifying rules are retarded. Keep your knock out style bs but get rid of the fuel rules for the third round. I want to see the lightest fastest car and driver at the front of the grid. If they can't keep up that kind of performance with fuel this leads to overtaking. Let em run as fast as possible and then let them do whatever they want to with the fuel.

17. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Again, that's not the point, and it's a sad argument. Even if you so happen to grace the forums main page without even opening the 'Racing and Tracking' section, you see what happened, because it was under the "last posted in" column area.

Maybe some of us have to access this webpage for things other than our own amusement? That just happened to me, and I didn't think twice, because I didn't think anyone would be so completely f-ing stupid as to post the LAST NAME OF WHO WON POLE in a damn thread title.

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Umm, I wanted to go to another section of Ferrari chat. I unfortunately went to the forums page and this thread was listed under the racing section.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well see. Myself I don't think they are close enough yet. Qualifying is one thing, and yes I am all for getting pole at nearly all costs ... but lets see if the car and the DRIVERS have the race long pace. Heidfield is NOT a fighter and prefers to let the race play out so I cannot see a win yet myself ... unless RK really should be getting all the credit that LH currently gets.

Pete

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry, the Internet does not control your breathing guys.

If qualifying was really that important you would not even have turned your PC on ... your fault! Try taking a break from FerrariChat, heck you might find that talking with mates that you can touch, etc. is not so bad after all :). Heck I enjoy chatting on this site, but we all (many?) do loose perspective and put it way too high in our priorities.
    Pete

21. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    What he did was AGAINST THE FORUM RULES, and it's been documented a thousand times how stupid and careless it is to do what he did. Dubai Vol is more respected on Fchat than I am, and if he thinks he should be posting topics in the Racing section about F1, then he obviously has been in this section before, and knows that it's just not something you do. Christ.

Addendum: isn't it worse to let an event determine what devices you use on given days between given hours? If you want to make this a pissing match, fine. I don't let a racing event determine my schedule and actions, but if it's your prerogative, then so be it. It's completely asinine to condone posting spoilers, which some people seem to be doing.

And F1 is a big deal to those of us that live and breathe it, and attend multiple grand prix's annually.

[EDIT] I don't need a ban, so if you want to knock me back, please PM me, you're not going to hurt my feelings.

22. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Jesus, are some of you five years old? Calm down. And if you can't stay off Fchat long enough to watch the qualifying or race, even when you record it! Then you have bigger issues. Oh wait but that's not the point is it....

23. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    Wow, this thread has gone 3 pages and no talk about Massa qualifying secong yet? You guys are slipping...

24. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I <3 Ferrari but a big congrats to Kubica. Well done.

And since no one addressed Massa I will. Good job getting ahead of Kimi, but he needs to go the race distance. Here's hoping he doesn't take out Kubica in turn 1.

25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Thank you!