A Ferrari in Montana- Is this wise? | FerrariChat

A Ferrari in Montana- Is this wise?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BigSky355, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My first post, would like to say hello to everyone. This is by far one of the most consistent and informative sites I have come across. I have always been a huge Ferrari fan since I was a kid and I am finally at a point where I can think about owning one. Came close to getting one last year but that deal fell through. Now I'm back on the "horse" looking for that special 355.

Anyway, my question to the forum is the following. I currently live in California east of San Francisco but I have just accepted a job in Montana- big change! Is it wise owning a Ferrari in a smaller community like this? If anything happens to the car I would have to ship it out for service etc. The closest place would probably be Salt Lake or Colorado. I had the opportunity to talk to Dave Helms a few months ago (fantastic guy, seems very sincere and passionate about what he does). He says that he has a number of clients out in smaller communties that truck out there cars for services, so it can be done. So I guess I am looking for different opinions from current and future owners. The car would be driven religiously on weekends weather permitting- I am kind of a low key guy and would probably not drive the car to work during the week.

If anyone has any leads, I am looking for a 355 with the following:
    -Red/tan
    -6 speed
    -Berlinetta or gts
    -1997 to 1999
    -lower miles/ clean of course

Thanks again,
    CS

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Did you know that Montana is 4th in the US of registered Ferrari owners?

I read that in Road and Track a couple of years ago.

Many are vintage.

you will be fine.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You have GOT to be kidding. I would have put it closer to 4th from last.

Gary

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, but how many F-cars actually reside there? Here's Paul Moyer detailing his 275 with Montana plates ;)

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    CS, welcome to FerrariChat... You'll find a lot of great information here... One question, though:

Why not...? Why not drive it everyday...? To quote someone else on this board, a driven Ferrari is a happy Ferrari... :)

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Wealthy people registering it to their vacation home address.
    4th from last is much closer to reality.

7. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. You can ship your car to California for service if you want & are willing to pay for it.

My advise: Make your move to Montana - you will certainly have enough to do along with adjusting to your new surroundings. Once you get settled in, then you can decide.

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Because insecure people judge you and resent you if you drive a Ferrari even though their SUV/Mercedes/Harley might cost more.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um; that's what middle fingers are for, aren't they...? i mean, they seemingly serve no other purpose... :)

10. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    dry spell? ;)

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    OMG, dude, that's woefully inappropriate...! But i still laughed my ass off after i figured out what you meant... :)

Ian Nersesian likes this.
  12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    POST OF THE MONTH! :D

13. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    What's green and smells like miss piggy??

Kermit's finger.

Thank you

Good Night.

I am here all week

Try the veil!

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Don't you mean 'veal'...? i doubt anyone wants to eat a length of cloth, worn by women, over their faces... :)

15. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Ugh!!!

You win..

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Youre going to be living where a ferrari can really be used, why wouldnt you own onw in Montana

17. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow,
    Talk about going off on a tangent. You guys are out of control- damn funny but out of control.

NNO, maybe after I got settled a bit into the community would I think about "daily driving" the car. For me the car is more of a personal toy- just my style I guess.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Have known a few Ferrari owners in Montana over the years and was always been jealous of the great roads they have to drive. Dave is a long way away but it's hard to find someone better to take care of your car.

Take it

19. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Sounds like service is more of an issue than the climate. You might consider a little more research on what it is going to additionally cost for you to maintain given the expenses with transporting to/from the nearest ferrari facility @ 3 times a year, 4 times a year, or even worse case scenarios...just in case.

As for what other insecure people think about you driving a ferrari, I think you will find a greater population who admire and think it's super cool that you drive such a beautiful piece of machinery. For the insecure people who are jealous, envious, etc., I find that they will always find something to be envious of ... if not your car, then your watch, where you live (even a Gucci handbag in my case!). You just can't win with people who think that way.

Good luck finding your new car!

20. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the advice guys. I can not wait to hear that engine screaming as I drive down the montana highways ( traveling at a "reasonable and prudent" speed of course).

21. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    There are more "Ferrari Roads" in Montana than any other state in the union bar-none.......and a lack of highway patrol just keep an eye out for critters and your gas gauge getting premium can be a problem sometimes.

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I live in Montana and have two Ferrari's. I also have a very capable mechanic only a block from my home.
    There actually are quite a few Ferrari's in Montana, and rumor has it Mr. Wang keeps a few on his island in the Flathead.
    If you do buy a car and come to montana let me know and I will hook you up with the only local mechanic that has actually seen both 8's and 12's and knows how to work on them.

23. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the offer. That is very helpful. Should be moving out in the next 3 months or so and hopefully purchasing a car as soon as I find the right one.

CS

24. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Go for it! With that much open space, how much fun can you stand? If Dave Helms says so, believe it--he is a totally stand-up dude and one hell of a mechanic/technician besides. PS: Montana used to be speed-limit free in daylight hours-R and P I think they called it-is this still true???

25. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Go for it. Ferrari 355 V8s aren't that difficult to work on that you would necessarily need a Ferrari mechanic to work on it - a good mechanic is important though, bc it'll need its fair share of maintenance.
    My $0.02