A few 355 sterio pics. WARNING modified, purists dont look. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A few 355 sterio pics. WARNING modified, purists dont look.

Discussion in '348/355' started by chaa, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    It does appear that you are right. I would love to plan out a system on a 355. It could be done so clean and stealth.

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Now that the dust has setteld and the bar room phsycologist,theoretical ice installers and indeed my self have calmed down, i woul like to say,You know all said and done, i find it strange that being this is the 355 forum, but yet no one has come forward to comfirm that on the 95 models the standard speakers in the doors are in the position as shown, all i have done with them is upgrade them. They never were hidden like they were on latter models. I mean when i first saw the standard ones in the door, i even asked my self why were they not further along the door and sitting flush, but there not and any one with a 95 model will know even if they wont say on public forum for some reason.
    Which brings me to why i think there is so many negatives, could it be the top tweeters? Yes i can and have hidden them and in the past the install on this car i have, that just involves positoning the x overs behind the dash, simple, but anyone who is familier with the Alpine X over will know it is a nice pice of kit to be displayed, even though maybe the pics dont do it justce. Also if you look on your own 355 you will see that i have put them in the position where there are original cut outs. in the 355. At no time do your feet catch them what so ever, and lets face it, if they did would i not have just moved them to behind the dash? And yes i can very easy have put the dash mounted tweeters behind the original grill like i did when i first did the install, after all have you ever seen the standard tweeter instal on the 355, they are realy puney, infact they are about 12mm across and are of very low quality, where as the tweeters used on the dash are in fact double the mesurment and three times the quality.Also remember that tweeters are disectional so are suposed to fire at the listener for max effect, the standard system does not. The lower the notes like mids and subs can be placed enywere else. Thats why all tweeters are at the top of the system.
    Now this brings me to the upper tweeters, you know for maximum sterio effect you need what is called stereo imageing (exscuse the spelling), so you have no choice but to put them in the top corners of the header rail for max effect, like cars have bee doing for decades. I had two choices here i could have cut the header and sit them flush therefore dammaging the car or mount them by the method provided. So even if i did spend an hour hideing the x overs or dash tweeters, i would have had to made a choice about the upper tweeters, and made the choice weather to have 100% sterio effect or not.
    Now i come to the base box, after much reserch i found the JL sub which i forget the name/number of the unit, but this is designed to work in the smallest of air space and was very expensive becourse of it. It has been mentioned that there are speakers that have a slimmer profile.....true, but the problem with that is you lose base.And in the case of the doors and as i have already coverd the standard ones in the doors protrude exactly the same measurement as the aftermarket ones i used. As far as the sub is conserned i have to challenge you respectfully to find a better lowprofile/sounding sub than the ones i have used to work in the air space given in the 355. aAnd please let me know becourse i WILL use it. I am confident you will not find one becourse the key to a good sub is the coil. The one i use is a twin coil and after talking to many hi fi shops that was recomended sub for the air space i had.
    As far as the Amps go i realy respectfuly dont see the problem, they are low profile units that fit nicely on the rear wall and dont foul the seats and do get air flow becourse remember the air low goes down the back of the seats when the hood is down and even with the hoods up there is no and i repeat no problems with heat what so ever. If there was would i not just move them to the boot? The reason i did not put them in the boot was becourse,well i wanted to keep what little boot i had and the amps are not even seen. I mean you dont know there there, all the wire is properly channeled and coverd ect. So i think the problem may be becourse i have not hidden the tweeters and x overs. Yes the remote unit is self contained, if i dont use it i take it of, it velcroed on. If the wire was in the way....i would remove it, but it does not.
    I have said before that i have had PMs and emails from people who want ice in there 355s and 348s, dam some even have got dash top tweeters in there cars!!! I think maybe it may be a good idea to have a seperate site for ferrari drivers who want to exchange ideas on ice, where they can compare and show pics of instals with out discrimiation from them that like there ferraris standard.I think we have enugh theory, i think we may want more practical, There are alot of interested people out there, i mean look at the viewing numbers of this thread, even if there is only a third of the viewers who are interested thats still alot. Please exscuse my spelling and please dont look to deeply into it becourse i am well balanced and have indeed been correctly potty trained as a chld ( Fraud i think LOL!)
    So there are my reasons for what i did, please fire away.

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Of course you have reasons why you did the things you did. I think we are just trying to point out some things that you could do a little different to enhance the appearance that's all. If the crossovers were put in the trunk (front) it would do alot to clean up the look of the install. They do look nice when they are displayed but they are not meant to be installed out in the open like that but rather displayed in the trunk along with the amps. Your amps do well behiund the seats but just think if you could reclaim that space for something else (might not be your intent). I have never seen four tweeters installed (would be interested in hearing that)

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Very respectfuly Enzo, i have seen many ice instals with x overs in the cokpit of a car where they make up part of the feature of the car,not all ice instalations start and end in the trunk. Also it would be very interesting to find out what other 355 owners do with the 2 1/2 inches that they have behind there seats, thats if they know its even there. Its not like the 360 where there is ample room behind the seats.Like i said i say this respectfuly.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes fair point, but stereo controls on those luxury cars are installed neatly and flush ... not a great big ugly box velcroed to the steering wheel looking as out of place as a wing on a people mover ;)

I wonder if this box could be relocated to one of the spokes of the wheel?

Anyway not my car, but it seems such a shame to IMO compromise an otherwise okay installation with the way to visible LARGE control box. A good conversation starting piece I guess :)

Pete's humble opinion

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree that it detracts from the ride, if that is what you are saying of course;)

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #32 tbakowsky, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chaa here is a pic of a 95 with the door open that I had at the shop not to long ago. As you can clearly see the speaker IS COVERED. The pic you posted was of a car with a modified stereo system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. BrianDrought

BrianDrought Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Milton Keynes
    My 95 Spider does NOT have covered speakers. They are exactly the same as the ones in Chaas picture.

Not sure about the exposed crossovers, looks too messy imho.

Bri

(ex ice installer and now proud 355 owner)

9. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    the thing that stands out the most
    is that
    everything you installed seems to be PROTRUDING OUT
    like there's a little mole farm growing inside your car
    looks awful really