A few more asking prices from the "golden years" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A few more asking prices from the "golden years"

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bannishg, Sep 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #26 bannishg, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It could be the same car, but that is perhaps my favorite ad. Who ever thought that the $700 Alfa would some day be worth over $2M??

Some More Ferraris:
    (The Dino in the April '69 ad was advertised by Foreign Car City)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    You made me a happy camper..:)

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Well, you have gone and done it! Now I know how old I am. I know (or knew) at least 70% of the people in the ads who were selling the cars. It is really depressing when you know almost all of the cars listed in the old ads.

4. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I can recall when I went to Auto engineering--Lexington, MA. This was 1973. They had a Daytona Spyder with 1800 miles.

Asking price was $29,900. and they said they would take $29,000.

It was the fastest thing I had ever been in. I still remember the salesman's name there---John Omen.

BUT, I do not think that I would have kept it all these years. When I got some more money, I jumped into my first venture---a 1975 Maserati Merak. If that were not bad enough, in 1980 I bought my second Italian car---a new Ferrari 308 GT4.

I should have looked into cars a few years older rather than new cars

Bad ideas !!!

Ken Goldman

5. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg

From the stories I have heard, everybody seemed to have that mindset. In 1974, a client of, I believe Joe Marchetti (sp?) had traded in his 250LM plus $5,000 for a dealer's demo 365 GTC/4 coupe. At the time he traded it in, he also had ads out offering it for $20,000. Imagine how he must feel today. There are millions of other stories just like it.

6. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Really fun to read those. Thanks for posting them!

While the prices are indicative of the time, I'm curious as to how fast they sold.

Were these cars snapped up as soon as the ads were published or is it possible many sat for months before a willing buyer was found?

7. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Many of the vintage racers from the 50s thru mid 60s often sat unwanted for many months in the late 60s and early 70s. Many of the ads I posted spanned several issues, but I always made sure to post the latest publication for each ad. Vintage Ferrari racing really began to take off around 1973-74, and in the Summer of '73, when these cars were still quite cheap, they were lapped up fast. By 74, the desirable racers were advertised much less frequently, perhaps because they were going to collectors for the first time. During the summer of '73, a GTO sold for $15,000, and a SWB Berlinetta went for $6,750. That time next year, they were approximately twice that. Around this time advertisers, to a large degree, also began to use the words that all vintage ad readers hate: "price on application".

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    The gap in value between the GTO and the SWB has slightly increased...

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This thread hurts. It's now almost impossible to own a SWB or Daytona comp..I wish i was born 15 years earlier.

10. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Love that "unfortunately rhd" note on the 275 GTB Competizione and then a 4 digit asking price. In 1977.

These are great reads but also very depressing. Depressing how speculators have made the market for just about any vintage Ferrari almost completely inaccessible for the average enthusiastic Joe. And you almost never get to see them being driven on a street.

I wish i was born 15 years earlier.

Then you would be 15 years older now. No one wants to be 45 when he can be 30. ;)

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    But at least i would have had a chance at buying a SWB or Daytona Comp.

12. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #41 bannishg, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Especially 'cause in 77, a regular 275GTB cost around 15k. I don't think it was an actual Competizione, but a street model tuned for racing.

Oh, and:

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I know that this is very much a taboo subject here but this the exact reason why you see the rebodies and recreations. It is a form of vintage Ferrari that is much more accessible and, more importantly, useable. I don't know how I would ever reach for the keys of a SWB Comp on my way out for the day. If, however, I owned the TR recreation that Continental is selling then the odds of actually driving the car go up significantly.

It is nice to see one of these cars in museums or at car shows but it is something else entirely to see one on the road in normal traffic and especially awesome to have one fly by on the highway or back roads. I fear that those opportunities are just about lost because the relative values of these cars.

By the way, I always love the old value threads. Thanks for posting them. It's interesting to see the boom and post boom prices and to see what are so heavily affected. Interesting too to see the Boxer prices are so relatively steady. I think for 10 years now I keep thinking that I need to grab a Boxer before they just get going and I get priced out but when I see that post boom price in the $60's that's not so far off of where they are now.

14. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #43 bannishg, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Boxers were a tremendous value back in 2001-02. I have an ad from 2001 for an '83 BBi, "a nice driver", for $50,000. Also I know of a '79 512 BB being offered at $45,000 in 2000. I'd say they are now double - triple those figures, but have a long way to go before they reach the 1989-90 prices of $300k+, if they ever do.

Plus, rebodies and replicas are a fact of life, once all the really exalted ones become untouchable. In late 1978- early 79, right around the time the 250GTO & TR reached six-figure prices, is when you began to see the 280Z GTO's and the 250GTE TR's. They were preceded by the Daytona Spyder Conversions, which began as early as late 1976, when a coupe was selling for $20k and an original spyder was selling for $40k.

15. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    o my god wish i could go back with only 20k in my pocket ,jajajajajaajajajjaajajajaja

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You guys are forgetting time value of money and what actual incomes were in these timeframes...

17. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Agreed. By the mid seventies these were very expensive cars.

George