A few more asking prices from the "golden years" | Page 6 | FerrariChat

A few more asking prices from the "golden years"

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bannishg, Sep 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    And now we're all too late for sure....

It's a damn shame they removed that body and re-fitted a correct body, that Scag body was gorgeous, IMO much more so than the original from 1949/50. Plus it was still a legitimate body. I understand the owner of 0486M's logic for removing the Monteverde body to install an appropriate one, but definitely would've kept 0012 a Scag.

Did you get this one from Jackson Brooks back in the day, or someone else?

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #127 miurasv, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That one's one of my favorites! Dec 63. Imagine buying a current year model Ferrari under 10 grand, and it's an SWB too!

4. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #129 bannishg, May 3, 2013
    This one is among by favorites, it is from R&T 8/62. Sadly no pic but at least a price. Besides the huge one I posted for #0478 earlier, this is the only other priced 375+ I have a scan of, and though part of its drive-train is Detroit, it is still quite a buy around the same price as a well-equipped Corvette. I'm sure some of you who were around to see the ad when it was fresh will tell me how overpriced it is, though ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Brandon could have it repainted in those colors for a change...

6. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #131 bannishg, May 3, 2013
    The ad at the very top was listed in the "fgn and sports car" section, and nowhere near the "parts" or "rebuildable" section. It's possible that they were selling only a body, but if this was a complete car that was drivable, could anybody point to a better Ferrari buy in the history of mankind? Free doesn't count!

Sweet deal on the "Zagago" BTW.

I hear a lot of belly-aching about all the "value" threads in this category as of late, but aside from teasing members with prospects that could have been by rubbing these ads in their faces, what's the harm?

7. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The ad for the pace car may have been a complete rip-off for the era offered btw, because according to the registry the Pace Car at Le Mans was a 250GT PF Coupe. There were really really nice ones WITH original motors available for around $3500. Even if it were a Berlinetta still not that great a buy for the time.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's great to see these adverts from times gone by, but, hindsight really is a wonderful thing. If you had the means to buy one then at those prices, and didn't, you wouldn't buy one today given the same circumstances and limited information available regarding the cars then. That's why I take my hat off and salute people who actually did buy Ferraris then, who were passionate enough to buy them, having recognised them for their outstanding beauty and automotive prowess. Those people are the nucleus, responsible for the perpetuation of the Ferrari market today.

9. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    And you didn't even have to own a software company! There were teachers, small business owners, doctors and dentists, lawyers, accountants ;) ,etc. who were among the people trading these cars in the 60s.

Or in the case of this old man, an airline pilot (yeah it's not a Ferrari but the story is relevant and I'm sure most of us appreciate this car anyway):

1960 BMW 507L: Looking good - Autoweek

Would you hold on to a classic for that long, especially when the market is hyper? I believe this man did it for all the same reasons you mentioned in your comment, so hats off to him.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's not rare to find people passionate about Ferrari today, but I must say that it is very rare to see someone so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the brand and its history in its entirety, and all the cars contained therein, especially the early models, in a man of your young years, so hats off to you, young man.

11. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #136 bannishg, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    Thanks very much Steve, I appreciate those kind words

I suppose it can get frustrating when your peers, even most of your friends only want to talk about their STi's, Corvettes and 350z's (and don't get me wrong they're all nice cars), it gets old fast. I usually threw in the towel when I started hearing about 24-inch chrome rims on a 350z, ah high school... I always admired older cars on the other hand and loved to read about accounts of ownership and the evolution of the sports car. Ferraris would come a little later.

Well that was high school, and many of those friends can now afford the cars, and some have indeed realized their teenage dream. I envied them for having dream cars that were financially realistic, but my envy was short-lived, as they were quick to flip 'em. Having realized that the hot-blooded urge to go drift racing had since cooled down some time during college, and without such basics as trunk space and (except for the Sti) seats for more than two people, there was just no reason to have such a car as their sole means of transport. Disapproving fiancees would then effectively squelch what remained of their former dream. They'll be in a position to grab others some day, but they may end up looking at them as expensive antiques rather than merely used sports cars (sound familiar?)

But that was never my bag. I'm just not into the over-sized rim thing, or the other flashy fixins' that I thought would be fading out by now. The overwhelming majority of cars, even many of the pricy sports cars made today do not even come close when it comes to the character, uniqueness, history and beauty of classic Ferraris (and the other marques too!). Nothing compares to an old V-12 Enzo car! I only wish someone would be so kind as to send a few million dollars my way, enough for a Lusso and a 275-4... C'mon you guys could use some younger blood at club meets! ;)

Greg

12. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    +1

13. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #142 bannishg, May 9, 2013
    Especially those who were crazy enough to make a major purchase from someone on the other side of the pond, in the 50s, well before the internet and even before fast international mail correspondence!

Keep in mind that $1 US was around 0.355 to 0.36 PDS throughout most of the 50s. Anything at 355 PDS or less was under $1,000. It seemed as if Bugattis, Supercharged Alfas, K and S Mercedes, SS-100 Jags etc. were growing on trees over there! You could open a Motorsport and find 4 SS-100's, 2 Grand Prix Bugattis, 3 Supercharged Mercedes and 3 1750 Zagatos all on the same page in 1955! Now you'd be lucky to see an owner who is willing to consign it to auction, let alone advertise it privately. Even cars with non-original or even incorrect engines sold for around the same price as an original one.

Could you ever imagine somebody today thinking that fitting a diesel engine in a 36/220 S Mercedes would be a good idea? Attached are three excellent examples from 1955, note the original owner of the Mercedes 38/250 SS:

14. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #143 bannishg, May 16, 2013
    Check it out, got some really cool ones. I like the Siata and the Fiat 8V's. If you skip inflation you have these cars priced around the same as what you paid for your 16 year-old's car.

Does anybody here know what the hell a "Papermate Ferrari" is? Was that a nickname for a specific car or is it some sort of code/lingo? I'm at a loss.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ^^^Interesting the ad for the 2+2 Superfast 500.

16. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just found out: the "Papermate Ferrari" ad represented #0732tr

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #147 Ed Niles, Jul 1, 2013
  18. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Beautiful pics, were these taken around the time the ad was circulating?
    On a side note when did phone companies start the new paradigm of 7 to 10 digit numbers, and drop the system where they had either a word or either 2 letters followed by 5 digits? (If you look at ads from the early 60s and older you'll see phone numbers like: "BELL 7-6543".) Recently I was also made aware that zip codes didn't come along until the mid 60s either!
    That system just looks so foreign to me......

19. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    BTW in my post from 6/29, the advertisement for the 1957 Tdf coupe with the chevy engine fitted for $6500, in Ferrari Club of America dated May 1975, is 0629gt, (the ad says 0628 in error).