A full repainting prosess in images | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A full repainting prosess in images

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gimme Fuel, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

yeah i know. The first (and only so far) car i've repainted is my mclaren gtr model and i didn't really know what i was doing so i went wrong twice and so had to re-strip it twice etc...but now i know not what to do. We learn from our mistakes.

2 questions,

Did you use any kind of clearcoat? Or is the paint naturally glossy?

also, does anyone know a good thing to strip paint off a plastic part....such as a wing...i heard brake fluid ca be good but you guys might know better.

Cheers

Chris

2. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Hi Chris.
    Yes, brake fluid works just fine to remove paint - it will also remove your wing, it eats "buuuuurp" all the paint AND plastic - I've just got a mail from a dude in England who told me this - I've not tried brake fluid myself but he said that you need to fill a container or metall box (NOT plastic) with brake fluid and place the car in for a niiiice long bath - overnight.

Ok, your quiz.
    I sometimes use clearfinish paint to get the extra shine - it also protect the paint from damages, if you accidentaly bump the car into something hard it very easily become damage in the paint, and that suckz big time.

I dont know if you're ever been painting before - so maybe you know this, when you paint - keep a distance from the car (1 feet or 1.5) DONT stand still
    and paint a spot - A L W A Y S move your arm in smooth movements
    and spray for ca 0,5 sec and stop, another 0,5 sec and stop - release the tap every 0,5 sec so the paint will have time to hit the car (this is not playstation) LOL
    If you dont move your arm, all of the paint will hit the same spot and it will start to "float" - then you have screwed up, toss it.
    If you're painting with a Metallic paint, then just put on a thin layer first and go and play Playstation for the next hour.
    To my knowledge there are 2 different Metallic paints:
    You have the "light" Metallic - which are very nice to work with.
    And you have VERY Metallic, which are almost like water and hell
    to work with.
    I'll post a pic here soon to show you the first car I did, VERY Metallic.
    This Metallic paint is very thin and will "float" easly.
    Another VERY important thing you also must do when you're painting is to place the car on spikes/nails so the car hangs in the air, Why? because the paint will also hit the table you're painting on and it will stick together with the car - and thats pretty anojing.

So remembner this when you're painting...."psssssssst" - - - -"psssssssss"
    NOT "pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst" then you
    are banded to screw up - in my opinion.
    I hope this helps you a bit further in the painting process, any quiz please let me know, and I'll try to help you as good as I can.

Ohh....that plastic thing yes....I dont think you can remove the paint from plastic, it has the same color straight throug...just use some fine sandpaper and rub it a little before you use the primer (the primer job is to make a grip for the paint)

Wow..better stop now, before I can bublish this reply as a book. LOL
    Good luck, and please post pix if you can.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

3. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
  4. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Here you can see those Metallic colors I was talking about.
    VERY Metallic
    LIGHT Metallic
    and just regular color...
    Those 2 other pix is what I'm doing right now - a MB 300 SL '54, just for testing out a new color, white.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    WOW. thanks so much for that, i now see why my mclaren model doesn't look so good.... :(

I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers

Chris

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LOL!! That is awesome - Great result!!

Now go find the real deal that those bastages repainted red in order to sell it & restore it back to its original glory!!

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Those fargin iceholes!

8. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348