A fun daily driver (on the cheap side)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A fun daily driver (on the cheap side)?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by GG, Nov 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I replaced my daily driver e60 M5 with a Speed3 last year and the Speed3 is much more fun to drive, is just as fast in a daily driver setting and cost a fraction to operate.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I might have missed it but what are your age requirements. You live in Canada and should have a plethora of choices for mid-1990s JDM cars: Skylines, WRX, EVO, Stagea, Pulsar GTI-R, FD RX-7, Aristo, Soarer, Fairlady Z, etc......all for pretty cheap if I recall. If it were me that's about all I would consider!

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    you can get a new body one for in the low 20s!

4. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    Maserati spyders are in the mid 20s believe it or not. Maintenance wise, probably a no-go.

I daily drive a G35 coupe and love it. It's a heavy car, but 4 seats, 300hp, way more luxurious than the 350z.....I couldn't ask for more.

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    BMW Z3 Roadster or Coupe...

or Z4 for that matter.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Okay I'm slightly confused by this statement. The Crossfire handles well too, it may not be a p-car but it'll out class the s2000. Don't be confused by the Chrysler logo, it's all MB

7. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not true. I've driven a couple versions of the Bullitt Mustang, a few Cobras and a Roush on various courses-they acquit themselves quite well(and the latest GT with the Track Pack is a very competent handler). But, hey, ignorance is bliss.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    MKI or MKII MR2 and use the money you saved for Vegas!

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    E36 M3

I wouldnt even consider anything else if you are a dash stroker looking for a performance car at $20k

I tend to like crap interiors...C5, Viper, F355 all cars Ive owned and loved and all have garbage interiors.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    before you get flamed for saying the 355 has a crap interior, I'll agree with you :(

although it has provided nice supplemental income to 285Ferrari :)

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #36 Wade, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Same here, maybe the OP has never driven one, especially the SRT6 which is worlds apart from the other models.

I had a girl chasing me down Washingtone Ave. in a late model honda who nearly lost it a quarter the way through the first turn. She over-steered at least once by the time I lost her through the final curve. I was about a quarter mile down road when she merged onto Columbia Blvd.

330+ HP and I'm betting nearly 1 lateral G.

Wikicars on the Chrysler Crossfire SRT6
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My friend has a great maserati spyder with a 6 speed for sale! I loved mine!

13. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    #38 ztunelover, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    1g lateral forces huh? Bring it to the local time attack event. I would be interested. The standard crossfire has a very awkward suspension setup. The srt-6 from what I have seen is less awkward. But I would be surprised if it breaks 0.9gs.

And forget those silly hondas with their big bad VTEC YO. Only the s2000 and NSX are the only ones to ever get my respect. Even then the s2k needs at least 5500rpm to get going and is utterly useless below that... or at least the AP1 is.

P.S. I love that ramp. Oh I wish we had ones as awesome as those here.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #39 Wade, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The stock Continentals were dangerous so I upgraded to the Toyo Proxes T1R (F: 225/40-18, R: 275/30-19), huge difference!!!

My wife won't buy me a G-Tech for Christmas (says I might get killed testing it) so I'll have to make my own http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcN6r1uHP4

P.S.S Been there? Yes, it's an awesome ramp ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    If she ever asks thats a fuel mileage meter. The g stands for gallons. :D

Ya those Toyos are quite good rubber, but I am still certain with bfg kdws my s14 can hold your car off in the twisties. Straights no I would lose... badly.

But let me know the results.

No I have never been there but it looks awesome? how much elevation change on the turns? or is it only in the straights?

16. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Just saw the new Kia Forte Coupe this morning. What a stunning vehicle. $23k CDN... gonna give it a look.

17. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cameron, I test drove one a week ago( I think it was called a SX with the bigger engine and stick)...slick little car for the money...ended up getting a 2010 WRX instead....feel like i am 19 again!!!!

Beev

18. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    What made you pick the WRX over the Forte? I only saw one this morning briefly, but I thought it was a striking vehicle. On that note, I bet it's boring as nails to drive.

I had a WRX when I was 19 (or 20?) and it was a fun fun fun car. Brutal on the highway, however.

19. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    The Kia Forte coupe is great from the visual standpoint, doubt you will like its bad interior or incessant understeer, which I unfortunately forgot for one turn that I can't cure using the throttle. :(

20. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    0-60 in a shade over 5 sec...love the turbo...easily and inexpensively chipped to more hp than the STI model...ride quality is now a compromise between sport and comfort...just spent 8 hours in her and I can still walk...new for 2010 uupscale leather racing seats (WRX embroidered) with red baseball stitching looks kinda cool ( Forte offers nice leather with contrasting stiching too)...nice low seating position in the WRX....way too high in the Forte....perception of my clients if i drove to see them in a Kia (business bad these days or what?....haha) versus driving a driving enthusiast vehicle and my clients all know about my mid life crisis car crazy driving thing.

Beev

21. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Enjoy in good health sir :)

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander