A general concours question | FerrariChat

A general concours question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by paulie_b, Nov 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I recently had my car judged at a local chapter of the FCA. They used the "Cavallino" judging guideline and specifications. Overall, looking at condition, originality, etc. My car is a Euro model with approved EPA?DOT paperwork.
    Here is my question: how should they have judged the car? As a U.S. or Euro? I was awarded a gold when I really should have earned a platinum. I was 1/2 point away from a platinum. I am not just saying that because the car is mine, but it is what it is.
    Here is the chief judges comment: "The rules get muddy when it comes to converted cars. EPA/DOT approved and concours correct are not the same. When a car is converted, by definition it has been modified from original. Putting in side marker lights requires modifying the original body. The same goes for everything that was modified in the conversion. Modifying equals deduction."
    "Lines from air pump - approved after EPA and DOT Euro conversion"
    "Marker lights - approved after EPA and DOT Euro conversion"

I realize that in order for the car to be U.S. legal some of these modifications need to be made. But should they need to be penalized at the concours?
    I am trying to appeal their decision and have not gotten a response yet. Let's see.

Do you think that I am pushing the issue too much?

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sounds like you got your balls busted at a local FCA event. When we did FCA PA/NJ we would NEVER ding a guy for a conversion from Euro to US, unless it was botched. If the car looked right, then it was ok.

These are not national events. There are FCA guidelines for how to judge, not "cavallino" guidelines, at least when we judged cars at the PA/NJ, and plenty of those cars were converted to US spec.

You're not gonna win the argument, but you probably should be ok getting gold, and knowing in your heart that a judge who was a little less of an ****** would have given you platinum.

D

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    DM, thanks for the response.
    A couple of additional comments from the judge:
    "The judges also took exception to something about the side marker lights."
    "You lost a full point for the Tubi and a full point under the hood for the conversion modifications.
    "A 96.5 score is a message that the judges did not feel the car was a Platinum car. If they felt it was a Platinum car they would have found a way to give it the half point. Conversely, they could have found more deductions if they needed more. Their message was you had a nice car but it wasn't top tier.
    You got a Gold award with a converted car, that's no small feat. Congratulations and I hope the see you next year."

Guys, any other thoughts out there?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

well, they're right about the TUBI, and a full point under the hood is ok as well.

I had a run in with a concours judge over the side markers on my US spec Dino. He said, they're alfa markers. I said, nope, they are Dino AND alfa side markers, and then showed him the pictures a couple different books I always carried when doing the concours thing.

Didn't matter, dinged me a point at the New Hope concours, my car ended up 3rd in the Italian class, behind a daytona (deserved 1st) and a hot rodded 308 that belonged to one of the judges.

sometimes there's no winning.

The next year? finished 1st in the Italian class with no modifications and different judges.

You're lucky the judge actually took the time to explain it, I guess. Not much you can do about it except hope for different judges net year.

D

paulie_b likes this.
  5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am not sure why an FCA judge would say it is judging pursuant to “Cavallino” rules when both FCA and Cavallino use the IACPFA rules (my info is a few years old). All I can say about regional FCA judging is that the competency will range from superb to “trying their best.” Remember to drive the pants off your car!!

TTR, Jakuzzi, Rifledriver and 3 others like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Below is a link to the FCA section regarding concours judging guidelines as well as the Cavallino Classic judging guidelines. Both are the same - the internationally recognized standards set forth by the IAC/PFA. While concours competition is a passion of mine, I personally can’t comment with any authority as I am not a judge, but your issues regarding the regulatory items are clearly addressed in sections 8 and 10. In the future I would be prepared to point these out at the beginning of judging and also have photos of other cars to show the consistency. Also important to keep in mind is that these are international guidelines not just for US concours. The judges are dedicated and passionate. They do it out of the love for the preservation of Ferrari’s. That said, they aren’t perfect and can’t know everything. The owner/presenter has a responsibility to address any details and issues regarding their car, and support those issues with documentation. As for your mods, such as your Tubi exhaust, etc., those are very valid deductions. If concours competition and originality are a high priority to you then I would reverse these mods. If not, don’t sweat it and enjoy your car as is. I hope this helps.

https://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/index.cfm/ID/218/IAC/PFA

https://www.cavallinoclassic.com/single-post/2018/09/25/The-Power-of-97

Jakuzzi and paulie_b like this.
  7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Yes, I knew the Tubi would be a deduction but IMO the others were B.S.

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Thank you for your response. I will read the links that you sent.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

As I read it, unless there is something unusual about your conversations, you should not have received deductions. Normally, the first thing done when judges introduce themselves is they will ask you if there is anything unique or special about your car, at which time you should proactively address these issues and produce your documentation. As I stated earlier, bring photos of other cars that have had the same work done. I’m sure you can find some online and others on this forum can likely share photos of their cars.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
  12. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Believe me, there is nothing unusual about my conversion.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm not an expert in awards and judging, but here's an alternate viewpoint: a Euro model should have no US/DOT conversion mods - especially under the hood.

The fact that either a federal or a state agency required the air pump to be added to the Euro, for example, is inconsequential. They are not original to the car (and most Euros don't have this equipment added.) They ARE original on an "American" car. So: as your car is a European model, they are judging it accordingly.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #14 Rossocorsa1, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Actually, this is an excellent and very valid point. It is “muddy” because these alterations were required, and the judging guidelines make provisions for them, but, they are not original. I can understand why the judges struggled a bit.

paulie_b likes this.
  15. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    As an FCA judge and entrant for many decades, absolutely you are pushing the issue way, way too much!

paulie_b likes this.
  16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I appreciate your comment. However, based on some of the "judging guidelines" I feel that the judges were wrong. Case closed.

17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Certain mods have to be done in order for approval from the EPA/DOT.

18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Agreed, but that doesn't mean the car is as-delivered by Ferrari.

For example, I'd expect a North American 308 to pass Concours with smog controls, as this is how it was intended. But an imported Euro 308 would not originally have such equipment (mine doesn't). Therefore, expect a point deduction on it.

You would face a similar situation by trying to import a Euro car to California. In Florida, this car would be completely original. But in California, that added required emissions equipment makes the car non-original.

Concourse, as I understand it, is somewhat about factory authenticity... Not what was done to make a grey-market car registerable.

19. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    personally, I don't think that the 2 judges actually know the "guidelines". if there is a next time, I will bring a copy of the information.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #20 Rifledriver, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

Rules are not muddy at all, he just didn't know them. I am on the panel that makes the rules, it is very simple. You show it in full EU trim or you show it in fully converted trim. We do not care if smog equipment works, only that it look functional. I would suggest however since no 2 are alike that you have documentation of what DOT and EPA mods were made.

I judged the F40 class at the Ferrari 70th anniversary in Maranello. I was faced with a bunch of European F40's with equipment variations not available in the US so I was not familiar with them all. In every case the owner was happy to explain them to me and in most cases had supporting documentation. Fortunately in every case in question the owner spoke excellent English.

Texas Forever and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

Additionally we have a standard for deductions. We need to be able when asked to explain in detail why a deduction was made and EXACTLY what is correct.

I would strongly suggest you contact Chris Current at the FCA and tell him of the trouble you had and if at all possible the names of the individuals involved.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Not muddy at all. Just a lack of understanding of our goals. Ferrari's are meant to be driven. We have no desire to punish those that have a European model who want to be able to legally operate it on American roads. We would not deduct for the installation of seat belts in a 250 either.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I disagree 100%. I am a Master Judge and a board member of the IAC/PFA. When a car is judged wrong there is no way for the judge to be corrected and the problem to be solved unless it is brought up and reported to us.

Texas Forever and paulie_b like this.
  24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Brian - thanks for contributing to this. So, please clarify, from what you’ve read, should he have been deducted for the alterations to his car?

25. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Great suggestion. I may do that.