A horrible mistreated Countach LP400S | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A horrible mistreated Countach LP400S

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Eric W, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I could be wrong, but something appears to be missing out back.

Donor car maybe?

Art S.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would really like to know were this car is..Does anybody know?

3. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Though not economically feasible to restore it's the kind of project someone would take on for the love of it. Say, a father/son team or something like that.

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Over $100k to fix that car, looks like it was wacked hard also.

No engine, trans, makes a good home for critters.

The guy sitting in it is probably remembering the good old days when it ran.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am going to be sick after seeing this. i would buy it and fix it. dont care how long it would take. 250GTO'S were laying around like this 20 years ago. i dont think the engine and trans are there. i also would love to know where the car is. this is a great car to put a replica drivetrain in and track and enjoy. its a real lambo, but is it feasable to put another lambo drivetrain iin it? most likely it will need the steering, suspension, brakes, wiring ,paint, interior work, and all lines of every kind replaced. it would be the " ANTI KIT CAR " lambo!!!!! all lambo , except the engine / trans. on my budget anyway. really cool post though. i cant wait to read the responses to this. and yes i agree its too far gone, but look at all the threads of folks with lesser cars and bikes that have spent$$$$$ simply " BECAUSE" i really like the old countach, especially sans wing.

6. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They should turn the owner(s) in to C.P.S.-
    Countach Protective Services!

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Michael as hard as this is to fathom, turn and run. I understand it is an
    emotional thing. I saw several months ago the barnyard Ferrari 12 cyl.
    At first you think how easy it is to get into a classic 12 cyl Ferrari. You
    become excited at the prospect of fixing a bucket of rust and turning it into a jewel. Then you start to think how much the buckets of rare parts will cost. The paint, leather, mechanicals/(engine/tranny rebuild), electricals, carpet, carb rebuild, instrument rebuild, gas tank flush, and on and on. Just wait until you locate that rare original part. Someone will smile when they ask you for $600.00. Of course that will just be one check of many to get there. Add it all up and think. That car should be parted out.

That is unfortunate. Again the best mid-year sidedraft carb can be purchased with minimal owners,
    no wrecks, low miles and records for the 70 range. I understand you are considering a non-stock drivetrain. You will still spend more than 70K. The owner will probably want at least 15/25 for
    the car. The parts will bring that much or more. There is no way to come out ahead. Even if he gives you the car for free. The post is really for anyone who may consider attempting to turn this bucket of bolts into a driver. Just 2 Lira's of advice.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Ralph, thanks for the kind words, i am sure i could have been flamed to death. you are 100% correct, its just a keyboard-emotional response to seeing something treated so poorly. thanks for the reality check!!! michael

9. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Michael I had the same thoughts on the Barnyard Ferrari. I think it was
    the 330 America? What was it 30,000K for a rare 12 cyl 1960's Ferrari ?
    Everything looked like it was there. But start adding it up !!! Guess
    what ?? Those rare parts cost $$$$$$. And the unknown ??? Don't look.

You are 100% correct. It is an emotional thing. There are a few 350GT's
    forsale that need to be restored at this time. Why are people running for
    the life boats ? Everything looked to be there. There are at least three
    Lamborghini 350GT's that appear to have most everything present. Strange
    that all three owners could not finish the project ? The finish line did not
    look that far away.

Also a 400 GT 2 + 2 on ebay.

10. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Poor thing deserved better than this...It looks like a Lamborghini "Zombie"!!!!It is destined to rot in exotic car oblivion..........

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    [Is that what happens when you miss the 30,000 mi belt change? No wonder everyone is so nervous.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    No belts on Lamborghinis. They have chains.

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #38 Chelle, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    where is it?? I want it... quick - someone buy my Lambo so I have room for a new project.... this car is not so far gone that I can't rescue it...
    Notice the posts sticking up in the front? this was one of those ones that had a front wing... like the first cannonball movie countach.. it actually wassn't a wing for downforce, it was a bumper... that's how one importer got around the problem of front bumper height laws :)

my Urraco was being sold as a parts car because the owner felt it wasn't economically feasible to restore.. Kim and I did all our own work and it was just a couple months playtime to have it all back together.. no reason this can't be done... certainly if someone had to pay someone else to do everything it would be cheaper to just buy a nice one... but please please tell me where it is... I need a new project.. okay, well, I do have two cars half apart right now... but I still need another project...
    here's what mine looked like before and after.. we only spent a couple thousand in parts and supplies... and did everything ourselves..
    Come on, If two girls can do it...*grin*

Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #39 Chelle, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    just amazing!! :D I can't even switch a lightbulb in my car :confused:

LOL

Waldo
    ForzaRossa.nl

16. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Unfortunately, I have no clue where this car resides. :(
    I found these images on a website last year and I can't remember what site it was. Atleast I saved the images.

I really hate seeing this car in such disrepair, it's painful!!! Even though it may not be feasible or economical to restore the car I still kind of hope some will do it.

I also agree that some people spend way too much $$$ build Lambo replicas, 60K...70K...probally even as much as 100K for a car that you'll never get that money back out of.

Atleast, if someone is willing or able to dump 100K+ into this car they'll have a car that will still retain some value. Then atleast the person can still say that "I built it and it's REAL!!!"

17. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    After searching the internet for a few days, I finally found the site were I got the images. LP112.com

I guess that the car had been forsale on eBay at one time, I have no clue how much was being asked or if it even sold. The car was or is located in Burleston, TX and the cars chassis# is 1121340. This information is from 9/10/2002.

18. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx for the info Eric : )

Wonder if a Muircialago engine/trans would fit in there..

Incidentally If somone wants a project the porsche you see a little of in some of my pics is a RUF 930 Turbo that had an engine fire.. comes with a complete parts car with good interior.. the fire melted the rear wing and blistered paint on the rear fenders.. then to add insult to injury when the fire dept showed up the fire was out but they felt the need to stick a hose in the window and essentially fill it up with water "just to be safe"
    still... restoration is usually not about money but about the love of the particular car.. and as neat as this car is with Countach sized P345 rear tires... it's just not something I want to break nails on...
    a little money and some time and effort is all it takes : )
    One of the guys on the Lambo list has been slowly restoring a Countach that was almost as rough for a couple years....least he has a hobby
    Chelle

19. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Chelle-

How much would you be willing to put into a project like that? Including the base project car?

Nick

20. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Wow. More cars with stories can be seen at www.carsinbarns.com

It definately needs help, but looks like it will be less work than a Countach kit car made out of a Fiero.

I KNOW!!! LET'S MAKE A TRACK CAR OUT OF IT!!!!!!OHHH YEAHHH

21. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Nick,
    Honestly I don't know - the chassis may be decent..
    I don't see what someone here saw thinking it had been wrecked.. my guess is the guy bought it and had some engine or trans issue, got an estimate on repairs and decided he could do it himself..or thought he could get another engine cheap ten years ago and pulled it, realized he couldn't and sold off a few pieces.. front and rear wing, the engine pieces etc.. car sits in a barn unlocked - kids playing in it - rodents, whatever... leather shinks due to exposure etc..

If the chassis is solid and uncut/unbent then I could see me putting less than 20k in in (above and beyond purchase price) and having it nice and on the road.. but keep in mind - I would do everything myself.. no labor costs involved.. just time.. Painting the urraco Kim and I spent less than $1000 on paint and body supplies. A little flirting at the paint store and I even got trade prices for those materials.. which was a couple hundred dollars saved..
    Electrical? Kim has a degree in electrical engineering, though for this one and from what I've seen of the stock wiring on a countach I'd just re-wire it all new

This car I could see getting the missing body parts for less than $500 (I have a rear wing in my attic that I got on ebay for $250) spend 2-3k for replacement interior pieces, $1000 for paint, unless I pay someone else to paint it this time.. Then just need to find a replacement engine/trans.. they aren't impossible to find. There were only around 500 Urraco's made yet I just bought (on ebay again) a complete Urraco engine and trans for $2111.00

I'd expect if I really look I could find a Countach engine and trans for 12k-16k..
    So for someone doing all their own work and watching ebay and making calls I could see driving it in a few months (longer if you work a real job) for 20k over what you pay for it.. which better be well under 20k even if the chassis is perfect, which it probably has issues too. It's going to take a lot of know how to do this and some savings could be had doing some upgrades... for instance why spend $3000+ to get the calipers/rotors/master cyl redone when for about $2000 you could use a 6 piston Wilwood system.. all new parts, that work better.. if you know what to order and can install yourself.

If you pay someone else to track down the pieces and do all the work the 100k someone else said earlier is probably not too far off..

Chelle

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amen on that rewiring! This vintage Countach also has a black box engine management component that has driven some folks to the brink of sanity!

It's in the trunk, with corroded wiring connections! They wire stereos these days with better components than this car had. You sure about that drivetrain, Chelle? I guess I have seen a few wrecks that could be donors!

23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Do you mean Miles Revell aka Darrell Creswell? I when I saw the photos, it reminded me of this guy that used to run around with a car like this in west Ft. Worth, TX. If so, man I've some stories about that guy. LOL!

24. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Are you kidding about those costs Chelle?!?! I might want an apprenticeship with you.......

25. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle