A morning drive... | FerrariChat

A morning drive...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    The weather finally cooperating, went on a nice drive yesterday with my local club down PCH. Loved what the Ritz Carlton guy said in the last 10 seconds of the video...

MaseratiMike, Jeka, Allen S. and 2 others like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Our lead car was a beautiful F12 tdf
    I had the aural pleasure of a wonderful 488 as my pace car.

Jeka likes this.
  3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    What a ride! beautiful scenery along the water! I like it :cool:

paulchua likes this.
  4. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
    Curious; how do you stay together with cars of such divergent speed/handling potentials, or do you? LOL

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #5 paulchua, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Excellent question. I had this exact thought when I first joined four years ago. The beauty of owning a car around the 90s era is you can drive it at 10/10ths the majority of the time. Even at this level, extreme caution is warranted since these are public roads (albeit rural lower-populated areas.). The cars I drive with are the exact inverse; they can only run 10/10ths occasionally because anything faster would be obscenely dangerous outside the racetrack. That's how I am not stumbling 10 minutes later at our destination point.

On the track it's a whole different story, I find myself getting lapped, and I always let everybody pass -- which is not only expected but not anything to be ashamed of. On the track, I'm racing against myself - my goal is to beat Clarkson's (Mondial is a 'dog') 1:57 NSX MK II time at Laguna Seca. I am entirely confident I can do it in a much older car, and at least in my mind score another urban myth dead.

Nevermind performance, would I even be accepted into the Ferrari brotherhood? Before I got my car, hearsay says I would be ridiculed at for owning merely a 'Mondial' especially in an organization where members own even La Ferrari. From my local club to Ferrari Club of America, the welcome embrace has been complete and unequivocal.

I tell you the writers of these 'articles' are speaking out of the wrong hole and maybe projecting their adolescent Fast and Furious ribbings they may have received?

Perhaps if one were 18 and brought 'only' a Honda/Integra RS instead of a Supra MK IV TT to their local 'Hot Import Nights' gathering, one got 'heat.'

:)

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Truly well said! Paul!

I'm driving in mixed company as well when we have time. We even do group holidays and hit the road for a week together staying at all kind of places and simply having Italian car fun, because this is what us brings together. Heck, most of these guys started in a Mondial. We should not forget that at the time it was more expensive then the 3x8 since it was more luxury equipped and these guys know it.

How we stay together.. we simply look after each other (beside the porto phones) and yes I'm usually driving last in the herd! Not that I am not fast enough, but this way I can look at all this nice behinds! :):) There is nothing more nice then to see a swirl of Ferrari's in front of you since you see daily traffic all the time so what's the point in driving first.

If just the writers would sit next to us ;-)

MaseratiMike and paulchua like this.
  7. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    As the saying goes: just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

Please don't encourage the hot-heads that are leading the drive, by sticking to their tail. These drives have netted plenty of speeding tickets, how about we stop before there's a body count to go with it?

I've done these drives in the past and have been perfectly content to "putt putt" up the road well behind the pack, often in company of another beautiful vintage. Have never been more than a few minutes behind at the finish line. Slow down and enjoy the view!

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, one thing that also cool about my club is we have different driving styles. Totally up to you if you want something more 'spirited' or more importantly; not.

Never any pressure for anyone to go at a pace out of their comfort zone. Notice the 612 Scaglietti which yielded to me even though they can dust me if they so choose. I myself have also yielded for much faster cars behind me, just common courtesy on all our parts.

Cheers

9. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi Paul ,

I like the metallic sound when you shift gears , maneuvering through the shift gate Paul. That’s what I don’t like w/ the brand new Ferrari’s they’re no longer offered w/ a manual gearbox . The shift gate for me is one that appeals ever since I saw my first Ferrari in the flesh back in the day .

Best regard ,

Luigi

paulchua likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Paul
    That car sounds great. I bet it feels good too.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You know it!!!