A "New"? 355 Start Problem? | FerrariChat

A "New"? 355 Start Problem?

Discussion in '348/355' started by vracer, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yesterday I was out for a drive with a NorCal Ferrari group, and my car would not start after a planned stop. We got in the car, and there was no electricity. No starter, no fuel pump, no warning lights, no nothin'. It's not really relevant here, but I have immobilized the immobilizer. (The car is a '96.)

It seemed as if the battery was disconnected, but I would swear that it wasn't. Practically the first thing I did after buying the car a few years ago was change the battery, and I can tighten a bolt with the best of them. (Most of you know that you have to jack up the car and remove a wheel to get to the battery compartment.) I intend to do that, but can anyone tell me where to check the other end of the ground wire where it connects to the chassis?

Can anyone here think of another reason that may have caused a complete electrical failure? We had been driving for quite a while above 6K rpm, so the engine compartment was pretty warm. It is possible that some part expanded/contracted to lose connection.

There are still questions, and I don't want it to happen again, but there was a happy ending. The car was parked on a hill in a large, empty parking lot, so why not bump it before calling a tow truck? Tried it once, nothing. Still no electricity. There is more hill, so we tried it one more time, and we drove home with a car full of happy electrons as if there had been no problem.

Did anyone here ever have a similar problem? Thoughts/ideas?

2. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Problème d'alternateur...

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Loose battery cutoff

4. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I had a defective fuse block (mine is a 96 also). Had it tested and resoldered.

5. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    No idea, (sorry) , but you say you immobilised the immobilizer.
    How did you do that?
    The system with the black and red fobs is a disaster waiting to happen, and I would love to hear how you worked around that!

6. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your ideas.
    d'alternateur - Je vais demander à mon mécanicien.
    Battery Cutoff - I had forgotten that I have one. It appears to be solidly in the 'On' position, but certainly, it could have been slightly corroded.
    Fuse block - Which one? Where was the break?
    Immobilizer - There is a LOT of info if you do a search. I used an adapter from a Florida company, Specialized ECU Repair. It allowed me to do a 45 minute fix, but it cost $875. (You can still use the fob to lock/unlock the doors, or you can just use the key.)

Has anyone else had any experience like this?

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    My starter windings had failed on mine last year. The car (1998 F1) would, at times, start with no issue at all. Then, without warning, turning the key yielded no starter response at all. I did have the warning lights on the dash. Obviously I also had power to disable the immobilizer.

If yours really has zero electrical response, I would think it would most likely be in the battery, or the battery connections / cut off switch.

The fuse box failure is something I can not speak to as it hasn't happened to me.....yet.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did someone on here just say they had a wire problem under the steering column. A 10 wire plug or something was intermittent because partially unplugged.

Beetle likes this.
  9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    that was me and yes that plug causes problems if you raise or lower the column. Its black and white its the main ignition switch loom. Id be checking that for sure. You may need to remove the column surround to get to it properly.

10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Ground wire is in front of the washer bottle. You need to remove that section of carpet to access the earth attachment bolt

Qavion likes this.
  11. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks, Beetle. That will be my first check before trying to access & work in that dinky battery compartment. The car starts & runs fine now, but without finding the reason it failed..........

12. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Beetle, thank you. I'll certainly try that before I try to dig into the dinky battery compartment. It's starting and running perfectly now, but who wants to drive a car that has stranded you once without knowing the cause.

Beetle and Ga68_ like this.
  13. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Passenger side footwell fuse block, have it tested. After removal, smell the back of it...mine smelled like burning. It's an inexpensive fix.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Battery came loose and shifted was the problem.