A Poll to decide if a warranty is worth it | FerrariChat

A Poll to decide if a warranty is worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by up4speed, Nov 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is an extended warranty worth it?

1. I have a warranty, and the total repairs covered were MORE than the cost of the warranty

21 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. I have a warranty, and the total repairs covered were LESS than the cost of the warranty

29 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. I don't have the warranty, happy I didn't waste my money

63 vote(s)
    55.3%
  4. I don't have the warranty, wish I had gotten it because I spent more on repairs than the warranty

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 up4speed, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    In a separate thread there were many differing opinions on whether an extended warranty is worth it or not, so I decided to start a poll to see if it can be cleared up a little.
    I would like to know if you have the warranty or not, and the outcome of whether it was a good investment/decision for you or not.
    When calculating please take deductible (if any) and non covered items into account.
    Also, feel free to elaborate on total repair costs as well as total cost of warranty (include required inspections, etc).
    I'm also not interested in the situation where you say that you didn't need the warranty but still glad you got it for the security. I'm looking at it from a strictly numbers point of view. (If you didn't use the warranty, then it falls into the category of having it, but total repairs were LESS than the cost of warranty)

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you want purely objective data- ie cost of the warranty exceeded repairs needed- remove the last two questions. Only have the first two.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also wanted to include the people who were burned by not purchasing the extended warranty, because they had repairs.
    I don't think it affects the results because 2 of the selections are for people that have purchased the warranty and the other 2 are for people who didn't. It's like 2 polls in one!
    Everyone should fall into one of those categories.
    Please vote with your situation ;)

timjen88 likes this.
  4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On second look, I see what you are saying. I guess I could also take out the "I have a warranty" part. It can be totally simplified by asking total repairs vs total cost...…
    It's too late to update. I guess it's ok because we can always just combine the results and it will still be accurate. If someone doesn't have the warranty, but wished that they did, then it falls into the category where the repairs cost more than the warranty. If they say that they were thankful to not have the warranty, then it falls into the other category.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- I was thinking you were trying to do - I spent X on warranty, repairs cost me Y.

Would be just a straight numbers analysis.

Delete the thread and restart or just leave it. All good.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #6 up4speed, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going for, but I tried to make it a little fun in the process, and screwed it up, lol
    I'll leave it for now because I think it will still be accurate and obvious what the proper choice would be for people that are on the fence. I hate that edit timer that seems to give you 3 minutes to change your mind! I wish it was at least 12hrs.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Look at it this way...

Ferrari offers the warranty because

1) they like losing money

or

2) they are doing us all a favor

or

3) warranties make them money

IloveGT, ZaifaDDS, Sav35 and 8 others like this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Another flaw with this poll is that you can only vote for one car. I voted using my current situation, but I also owned a 360 for 6 years without a warranty and my total repair cost (of what would have been covered) was only $150. So in theory, I should have 2 votes for not having the warranty and happy I didn’t waste my money.

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#9 Cigarzman, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Another flaw might be , I had the warranty ,didn’t really use it , but I slept well. Or maybe when I went to sell my car it sold faster and for more with the warranty. Shrugging .... Who knows ?

LVP488, Caeruleus11 and up4speed like this.
  10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't interested in the people that wanted it just for "security", because I was looking at it from a numbers prospective.
    However, you have a good point about the car's resale. It may fetch a few more dollars with the warranty, or at least sell easier all else kept equal.
    However, I wanted to look at cost during ownership.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Somebody contacted me and told me that the poll is closed! Why is it closed? Did it have a time limit that I didn't notice?
    Darn.....can it be extended?

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Disregard. Seems to be working again

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Right now there is a 15% chance the warranty makes sense.

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Indeed. It is about what I would have guessed. Hopefully I get a lot more feedback. The more we have, the more accurate the results.

I would also like to hear what the issues were with the cars that benefited from the warranty so I know the problems that can potentially cost us big bucks. Also if it was close monetarily, or did they dodge a huge bullet?

Sav35 and SoCal to az like this.
  15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Smart response as always except some of your P&R posts. :)

16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I got the extended warranty because I don't want my wife to use the repair bill as any excuse about my car expenses. Me smart boy.

up4speed likes this.
  17. But this is how all warranties (i.e. insurance policies) work.

Berkshire Hathaway didn't get to over 300B market cap by offering free goods.

up4speed and LVP488 like this.
  18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I do not drive enough to make the warranty worth it for me.

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Warranties are like any other insurance or any form of gambling: The house always wins and you ain't the house!

Viperjoe, iloveferrari and up4speed like this.
  20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Chris , in that case my 9900 2 year warranty was only used ~ 1000 in return. Best , Kirk.

up4speed likes this.
  21. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    As someone who spent nearly 20 years as the director of sales and finance operations for a large dealer group, I can wholeheartedly recommend that you do not purchase an extended warranty.

You have to look at cost of goods sold. There are costs for overhead; secretaries, people to process the claims, rent a building, etc. The company needs to make a profit, so I need to add that on there, also need someone to sell the warranty. As much as 50-80% of the price of the warranty—depending on the warranty company—goes to commissions back to the dealer. So the warranty company or franchise has to pay a commission, and that’s in the cost. If you add all of that up, now you have the price of the warranty. It’s what charged you for it.

Really, all you’re getting coverage for is the actual statistical probability of the breakdown, but you’re paying for overhead profit and marketing in addition to that. Were you to save the money and you have an average Ferrari that breaks down an average number of times, you’re going to come out way ahead financially. If it breaks down more than average, then you won’t. But if it breaks down more than on average, then the warranty company goes broke. In other words, they know they’re not going to have to pay out all the money they take in on warranties.

Never buy extended warranties. There will be several posts after mine with folks telling you how they saved thousands in repair costs by getting the extended warranty. Some will be telling the truth, some will be full of crap. But the bottom line is that if the warranty company didn't come out ahead way more than you do, then they would be broke. It's a bad investment.

Also, If you buy a warranty from a company, and they go bankrupt, you don’t have a warranty anymore. Ferrari isn't likely underwriting the factory extended warranties, most likely they are underwritten by Fidelity or someone similar.

skyscorcher, Sav35, daflk and 7 others like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good post.

I was going to add that it would be beneficial to know the avg repair costs for a given model over time, but really we dont need it. Just look at what Ferrari charges for a year of coverage, factor in a profit margin and you would then have your very rough guideline for avg repair costs. Then you can decide.

up4speed likes this.
  23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is one of the biggest benefits.

It's way easiest to sell a used exotic with a warranty and you can use it as a bargaining chip for a higher price. I guarantee that warranty has better residual value that carbon fiber when you go to sell it.

So lets say you pay $4K/year for a warranty. $4K arguably covers a lot of repairs (assuming they aren't catastrophic.) Will you get your money's worth in repairs? Likely not, but you'll get some of it back come resale, ease of resale, and you'll sleep easy.

I don't have health insurance because I want to use it.
    I don't have home owners insurance because I want to use it.
    I don't buy a car warranty because I want to use it.

AMN, Shack, SAFE4NOW and 2 others like this.
  24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #24 noone1, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    This is potentially shortsighted. Warranties are similar to insurance. The cost is based on statistical models, like you say. There is no telling just how profitable the warranty underwriting business is though. Saying to never buy extended warranties because the companies who sell them are solvent/profitable tells nothing about the profitability of the policy.

Believe it or not, most insurance premiums get paid out in claims. Insurance companies make money by investing premiums and hoping they have good underwriting policies and statistical models.

If you'd like to see companies who lose money writing insurance policies, look no further than AIG, quite possibly the worst underwriters in recent history.

Here's a simple example: Lend me $1B and I'll buy you $1B worth of stuff over the next 12 months. You get your money's worth... yet somehow I profit. How? Well, I invested your $1B in short-term, low risk assets and slowly paid you out over the course of a year. I keep the interest, you get your principal.

So should you buy an extended warranty? Depends on how risk averse you are, just like any investment or insurance policy you may take on.

up4speed likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    4) it helps sell cars that people might not buy otherwise.

SAFE4NOW, up4speed and tifoso2728 like this.