A problem, a solution, a game. | FerrariChat

A problem, a solution, a game.

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been a while since I have seen this. These are 308 plug extensions. The engine was overheated enough that the plastic started to melt. It makes me think of the days when Waikiki was full of rental 308's and this was fairly common. Some of the renters would keep driving until the car stopped, no matter what the gauges and warning lights were indicating. I remember five or six cars that got so hot that all the plastic liquified and then hardened around the spark plug. The volume of plastic was enough that it completely covered the hex on the spark plug. This made getting the spark plug out a problem.

On the first car that I encountered like this, I sharpened a long screwdriver and slowly chipped away the plastic until I could get a socket on the plug. It was a tedious process and I knew it wouldn't work on the front bank of cylinders, but it gave me time to think. I did come up with a quick and easy solution. I remember having a sore arm from patting myself on the back.....;>)

Is anyone up for a brain teaser, guessing game?? Guess the solution and I will send you the book pictured below. I am thinning out my book collection. Earliest post wins. The solution will be stored in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on the back stoop of Funk and Wagnalls. The winner will be my solution, not your solution, or even a better solution. Anyone outside of the 50 US states will pay postage. Decision of the judge will be final. Any complaints may be submitted in writing and will be given all the consideration that I think they deserve....;>)

Aloha
    Larry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Melt it with a propane torch.

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Or heat the spark plug socket with a torch.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Just turn the extender. If it melted around the hex it would act like a socket.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Drill a wood screw into the melted plastic, then pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

6. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Heat up the socket so it melts into the plastic, then unscrew.
    Rats, spicedriver beat me to it...

7. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    spicedriver: very good and very quick! PM me your address and I will send you the book.

JimEakin: also very good! I am getting rid of a bunch of books. PM your address and I will send you something.

Hannibal308: all of the plastic liquified and pooled in the bottom of the sparkplug well. The only thing left of the extender was the central conductor.....;>)

I heated a sparkplug socket to a dull red and dropped it down the sparkplug well. It was able to grip the hex and unscrew the plug along with the plastic that was molded around it.

Aloha
    Larry

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Are you going to the "Lunch Bunch" tomorrow in Waikiki ? I could meet you there.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi spicedriver

No, I will not attend. TT is back in town. I might be able to get him to deliver it. He is pretty regular at attending when he is in town. You would also be welcome to stop by and pick it up. I do have to go and look at a car tomorrow. The schedule is unknown right now.

1149 South Beretania (next to PetCo)
    533-4785

Aloha
    Larry

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi,

Your shop looks to be on my way home from Wikiwiki, so will try to stop by after the lunch bunch 1-2. Will call first. Thanks.