A question that I have been afraid to ask about oil viscosity and flow rate. | FerrariChat

A question that I have been afraid to ask about oil viscosity and flow rate.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Tifoso1, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Please forgive me for asking.

With today's multi-weight oil, the lower the temperature the greater the flow rate as it is less viscous. Then why do we still follow the rule of making sure the engine/oil being warm when doing an oil change? One reason I have always heard is that warm oil flows better, does this statement not contradict the physical property of the multi-weight oil? Another reason I can think of is the possibility of wanting to agitate the possible micro-particles that are too small to be trapped by the filter from the sediment in the oil pan by starting the engine, thus remove them effectively when draining out the oil. Can someone please educate me on this or point me to the direction of understanding this better. Thank you.

2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    “ the lower the temperature the greater the flow rate as it is less viscous.”

You sure about that?

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I am listening, please educate me on this.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    The OP's point is that, at low temperature, modern multi-weight oils still flow pretty well (i.e., a multi-weight oil is less viscous at low temperature than a straight-weight oil with the same hot rating)..

This -- you want to get as much of the super-fine debris suspended up into the oil itself (and even a multi-weight oil is much less viscous when warm).

5. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I’m no oil expert. The wikipedia article on oil, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil , says in part “The viscosity of a multi-grade oil still varies logarithmically with temperature, but the slope representing the change is lessened.”. I believe “varies” here really means “...decreases with increasing....”. The confusion probably arises from the thought that the two numbers in, say, 20W-50, represent absolute viscosities independent of temperature when in fact they refer to tests for viscosity taken at different temperatures.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as long as the oil is still warm the single particles in the oil are ntio setting to the grouns and when you then chage the oil all the debris also comes out. when you change the oil in cold condition the debris may stay inside

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    As the others have said, get all the "trash" suspended in the oil by driving the car, and then drain the oil before the "trash" settles back into the bottom of the oil pan.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Thank you all for answering my question, much appreciated.

Jakuzzi likes this.