A rather interesting 250 PF Coupe. | FerrariChat

A rather interesting 250 PF Coupe.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Thinking back to the late 70s or early 80s, I had become good friends with Stan Nowak. While he was at Grand Prix SSR on L.I, N.Y, he called me down to look at a (pale) yellow 250 PF coupe. The most unique thing about it was that the trunk lid was fiberglass and according to Stan, as such from the factory. Also of note was that the car once belonged to Susanna Agnelli, sister of Gianni. I can't recall much about the car - engine type (inside or outside plug), or what brakes it had. I passed on purchasing it as I had no room at the time.
    Do any of you know about this car? I'd be curious to know what happened to it - I heard that it was sold just after my visit.
    Bob Zambelli

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Bob:

Although I am unable to locate your specific Ferrari, I can attest to the fact that some number of 58/59 Ferrari 250 Pininfarina "Notchback" Coupes were delivered from the factory with a fiberglass trunk lid, and I believe that some even had a fiberglass engine hood. I owned 1041 GT in 1976, a 1958 build '59 250 PF Notchback and it, too, had a fiberglass trunk lid. I believe that most of the cars that might have a fiberglass trunklid would have been the "Series 1," 128 D (inside plug), drum brakes and lever shock cars, although I can not be sure.

Best wishes

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

You are correct, although I have never seen a fiberglass hood. That would be interesting to see.
    I wonder why the fiberglass was dicontinued in the 60s?

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Suzanna Agnelli reputedly owned 0983GT and yes, that car was with GP SSR around 1977 and then sold to Texas. Last heard of it in 1989, when it was auctioned in Orion Monaco Auction.

GRP trunk lid was a standard item on early PF Coupes, some cars had steel lids though. GRP parts may have turned to be more difficult to finish than first thought. IMO the fact that Ferrari later used GRP in non-visible body parts supports this theory.

Best wishes, Kare

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Fiat Dino/Glassman/Kare - You fellows are amazing. I'm totally impressed by the responses.
    Yes, 0983 was probably the car I looked at although I thought it was later than 1977. Oh well, the memory cogs slip at times!

Thanks again for the information and check out my next post, "Gold California"
    Bob Z

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I would very much like to know more of 1041GT!!! I have a note saying that the engine was offered for sale years ago, but have nothing else on this car, except the info from Pininfarina records (7.aug.58: grigio scuro 13420/beige 3218, destined to Seltepassi)

I don't actually know whether Ferrari deleted the GRP boot lid or if they just quit making a note of the lid material in their records. Remarks appear in the beginnig of production: among 40 first cars there are 8 cars noted with remark "met" (=metallo) and 23 cars noted with "pl" (=plastico). 9 cars among the first 40 have no remark at all.

1041/1043/1045 are the last ones; all noted to have GRP lids.

Best wishes, Kare

7. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David

Kare:

You have a PM

Best wishes