...a real classic Maserati! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

...a real classic Maserati!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #127 wbaeumer, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The car was sold after the Paris Auto Show 1951 to its first owner Marcel Schwob d`Harincoult from Torino/I (he had his adress at the Auto Club d`Italia). He paid 2,600,000 Lira. He entered the car in the 1952 Tour de France (see photo). The car was auctioned in 1959 and came to its 2nd owner Walter Bordese, who kept it less than 2 hours when he sold it to Francesco Torres, both from Torino/I. Later in 1959 the car came to the US. Today the car resides in Japan.

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    #128 johnei, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
    I have seen that photo of the car in the TdF before. It was wrecked early in its life (possibly in that event?) and sent back to the factory to be completely rebuilt; the work cost almost as much as it did to build the car the first time. An initial owner of the car in the US was Bob Estes. It received an early 260 ci (4.3L) Shelby Ford V8 and running gear. The car was later involved in another accident and sat in an insurance yard in east Los Angeles.

Paul Merrigan found the car in the late 60s/ early 70s. He bought it from the insurance company, and after a few hours of body work and mechanical work, drove it off the lot. Over the subsequent 20+ years, he managed to unearth the original engine from a wrecking yard in LA before it was bulldozed for a new construction project. The transmission was located at a repair shop, a previous owner had sent it back to the factory to have it rebuilt in '57 and for some reason had never had it picked up. The car won its class at Pebble Beach in 1998 and I believe it went to Japan a few years later.

Here are some larger versions of those two photos that show the car when it was found.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2809246225_bed062680b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2809246235_d611be989d.jpg

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #129 wbaeumer, Aug 30, 2008
    This interesting color photo (retouched!) I found in an old Italian magazine. It shows #2144 that was painted in red and black which is confirmed by the Factory records. Later the car was re-numbered by the Factory to #2147.

Unfortunately this car doesn`t have its original matching-no.-engine anymore. The matching motor is owned by a friend of mine in Germany while #2144/#2147 is currently under resto in Italy (2nd photo). It was not a very wise decision of the dutch owner not to swap the original engine -that my friend offered!- to get his car matching.

Now its too late as engine #2147 is under work to be completly rebuild with internal-improvements the Italians never did.

Ciao!
    Walter!

5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Is it really a friend or still a custom?

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I must not describe a personal relationship here. He is a good friend - and a customer. But...why are you asking his?????????

Ciao!
    Walter

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #132 wbaeumer, Sep 12, 2008
  8. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Not a bad Rally. I'll take anyone of the three. Thanks for the photo.

David

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...drove them all that weekend! Pure fun!

Ciao!
    Walter

10. jbloch

jbloch Rookie

Oct 29, 2008
    My father was the first owner of this car . He took delivery of this car in 1957 in San francisco. The car was originally blue with ivory stripe. No synchros in first or 2nd gears. A difficult car to drive in San francisco given the hilly terrain. Nemori Barbieri was his mechanic. Nemori went on to work for Lamborghini . My father sold the car sometime in the 60's.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Great post. thank you for sharing that

12. dim

dim Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    #137 dim, Oct 30, 2008
  13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, thats #2124 after its recent resto. Unfortunately they made something wrong around the radiator-opening.

Ciao!
    Walter

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #139 wbaeumer, Oct 31, 2008
  15. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Hi Maseratisti,

Recently John de Boer has published on another forum that the car that Fornasari drove at the 1956 Mille Miglia with race no. 311 was in fact s/n 2150.
    What does this group think?

Could this be possible?

The interesting thing is that the car was a double bubble.

Regards.
    Cris.-

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Cris,
    Jon de Boer is WRONG!
    #2150 never had a Double-Bubble roof and never participated in the MM. I got many photos from the Fornasari-Family and they proved different. It was another car.

Ciao!
    Walter

17. Cris Bertschi

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    So, which car is Fornasari´s? 2123?

At the Mille Miglia Fornasari was with a double bubble car which was not 2121.
    Regards.
    Cris.-

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Cris,
    it was not #2123.

Ciao!
    Walter

19. Cris Bertschi

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Well, that answers which car it wasn´t, not which car was Fornasari´s, but that´s a start!
    Thanks!
    Regards.
    Cris.-

20. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    #145 masermad, Jan 18, 2009
    Photo of chassis 2020 according to my records, taken in about 1966, I have some more someplace. Then it had Borranis, was dark blue which looked a lot better than this red. This car looks different! Supposed imported to UK in 1960 by The Chequered Flag, London. In their advert it was yet different colours so maybe not same car. The grill had a large centre bar and spot light, indicators and sides stacked below headlights.
    Engine rebuilt with all sorts! I think maybe sleeved, new pistons, bearings, valves, from whatever was close, I think Peugeot!
    Tan interior, Nardi type wheel, nicely built as was the Aurelia we had. But Jaguars were quicker, cheaper and kept going!

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Very nice photos and thanks for sharing wth us! If you find more.....please post them here!

Do you still have the advert? If so, can you alsp post it? Many thanks.

Ciao!
    Walter

22. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Do you have some history about this car Walter?

Magnus

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    HI Magnus,
    yes almost the same history. I knew that the car was at some time in the UK but unfortunaltely I did not know the registration plate. I have got two names in the period in question but I do not know who the owner was at the time when these two pictures have been taken in 1966.

Ciao!
    Walter

24. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi,
    I will look for the advert and more photos,- they are mine by the way, on 35mm slides which are discoloured! copywrite JC eh?
    1966-7, Car was owned by Stan Darbyshire in Ollerton, Knutsford. Cheshire.
    He was a great enthusiast for oddball or comic motors as we called them, and had the engine rebuilt which probably saved the car, as at one time he would have broken it and offered me just the engine.
    Stuff like this was not worth much then. I think he wanted about £450 for it.
    I wanted a later A6G2000 with Frua body.
    An aquaintence had had the Turin Show car,2103, then it was red with black or blue interior, tinted glass, so low, what a car that was in 1962 to my eyes as a 15 year old! I'll try and find the photo. But that is another story, - not JK's car, it was the other one - TDB572 if I remember correctly. Interestingly in looking for that one and talking to it's owners in the 1960's I found XEV601 the ex Salvadori A6GCS at the rear of an Alfa dealer in Longton Stoke on Trent, fitted with a 2.4 Jaguar engine. A while later I mentioned it to Brian Classic who ended up with it.Yet another story!
    Back to Stan...........
    Around the rear of the barn was a 212 Ferrari s/no 0165EL, this had been the Motor Show car as a chassis I think, it had been bodied by Abbotts of Farnham on the instruction of Mike Hawthorn's father. It was not very attractive, a horror! I think now it is a Barchetta ala "Touring". Engineless ---- it was "offer around £300 as someone took the engine" another story.........
    The A6G -- That is about all I know of the car, it was in quite nice condition, looked better than it does now.
    I'd already searched the adverts in Motor Sport for any Maserati A6G's and remembered the Chequered Flag advert, but their
    single cam A6G was painted in different colours and I did wonder at the time if there had been two different cars!
    Some of the 1950's racers used to bring cars in to help pay their racing, this one could have been brought in by someone like Brian Naylor who had a garage near Manchester. I have just read in Motor Sport that David Piper used to import the same, mainly Lancias, Aprilias and Aurelias.
    Other history? Who knows, probably the rest is lost in time.
    regards, John C.

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    John,
    very helpul infos! Many thanks!

I have this about #2020:

#2020 Pininfarina
    Pinin Farina Coupe, single cam engine, 3-carbs

23. Febr. 1951, order of coachwork
    30. July 1951, coachwork delivery to Maserati
    1951/sep/08
    Delivered new to Guglielmo Dei, Roma, Italy

1951 Sold new to Tezzo Tomachesi, Roma, Italy
    196. Sold to Hambledon
    196. Sold to Colley
    19.. Sold to Simon Moore in the UK.
    At this time painted in blue with wire-wheels, reg. On plate 2081MK

1989/90 Sold to Joseph Alphabet, -Huntington Beach.CA, USA
    later sold to Dr. Mark Brinker –Houston.TX./USA
    May 2000 sold to John Bookout –Houston.TX./USA
    later sold to D.M., Riverside.CA./USA

can you fill up the gaps here?

You mentioned #2103, the FRUA-coupe. The aguaintence you mentioned who owned the car at that time was either H.C.Purslow or Raymond Sheppard (the later part-exchanged it with a Daimler).
    Would be great if you could dig out more photos from your boxes.

Ciao!
    Walter