...a real classic Maserati! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

...a real classic Maserati!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    #151 masermad, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,
    Just typed you a long answer which wouldn't post! Now lost!
    short answer: 2020, gaps pre 1966 then Stan Derbyshire in Knutsford Cheshire, until about 1967, then I assume Simon Moore.
    Ask John deBoer where he got Hambledon from as I didn't supply that.
    Next A6G:-
    The A6G was from RSD Shepperd, 9 Battledown Close. Cheltenham.(had a spare clutch). I think he owned it circa 1960.
    maybe he sold it to my guy or into the trade, and from there it came to my guy.
    Purslow would be one of two motorcycle racing brothers from Shropshire, I remember they had a Pegaso GT once.
    Motor traders, they probably bought it from or sold it to, my local motorcycle shop owner, Derek Denphy, also another motor trader.
    This would be 1961/2 where I saw it outside his shop, age 15, and as John deBoer said " ruining me forever!"
    A few years later a friend and myself tried to trace it, but by 1967/8 I think it had gone to North America.
    Derek swopped it for a 3500 quite soon 1962 I think.
    In 1966/7 I saw it advertised several times and spoke to the advertisers, although each time the car had been sold before the adverts appeared. I missed it each time, not my destiny eh!
    Last address I had was: Alan Clark 42 Fairdene Rd. Coulsdon. Surrey. But never any answer, I think he sold abroad as it was never advertised in UK again.
    I remember I was told what hard work it was to drive, heavy steering and clutch, crash box etc. ....all the things I was looking forward too.
    there is a lot more to this story but that is the short bit that gives the info.
    regards,
    John.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    John,
    thanks for the very valuable infos about both cars. If you dig out more photos of -both?- cars, would be great to seee them here.

Ciao!
    Walter

3. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi Walter,
    I have some more of 2020 which are on slides so I'll have to get them copied, developed then scan them, it may take me a while as there are not so many photographic shops around here now, everyone is into digital!
    I was thinking about the other A6G, and I think those Purslow motorcycle guys probably dealt with m/cycles or raced in Spain so maybe they bought the A6G in Spain and brought it into UK. Certainly the Pegaso GT they had came from Spain, and I think I recall them having other exotic cars for sale around the early 1960's.
    I will try and find out what happened to the owners of both cars when I knew them, but it is a long time ago!
    Too late for me to get an A6G 2000, I should have tried harder when they were cheaper, now I just have an old Indy amongst a few other Italiana.
    Regards,
    John.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    John,
    many thanks again.

As of the "other A6G" - if you mean #2103, then the car was not in Spain -as far as we know! But it was registered in Brindisi/Italy and Purslow purchased the Frua from Arthur Oppenshaw. Perhaps this chap had premisses in Spain?

Ciao!
    Walter

5. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi,
    I thought from memory it had been raced in Spain, I will have to search my notes but after 40 years, many cars, many house moves plus one divorce, I may have misplaced notes! haha!
    Do you know at what year,and who owned the car, ie when did Oppenshaw own it, what year Purslow?
    I never had that name Oppenshaw, and don't know who he was.
    I didn't know if Purslow was the owner before my aquaintence or if he bought it from my guy.
    As I said Derek Denphy owned it 1961 into 1962 I would guess.
    If he'd bought it after Sheppard in Cheltenham, I thought Purslow was before Sheppard.
    I therefore assumed Purslow may have imported it, as I knew he raced abroad, and these guys who did car and motorcycle racing often imported cars to help pay their racing.
    I remember sports and F1 racer Brian Naylor bringing a 250Gt Berlinetta into UK amongst other cars.
    I think he also bought Maserati engines from SMoss who must have got them from the factory, no doubt getting around some exchange rate restrictions.
    One person who I believe used to live in North Shropshire and may have known the Purslows in the 1960's is Ken Painter.
    I believe he used to live near Newport Shrops (not SWales).
    I don't know him but I believe he once advertised for, or went looking for an A6G Zagato and ended up with two!
    I think he is stilll around but with pre-War Maserati.
    Only too glad to help piece bits of history together for current owners, it's an interesting post and site.
    Only sorry I don't know more, I have asked a pal about the Allemano A6G which we both contacted way back when.
    My pal bought some spare Borranis.
    It was a car that should have gone to Argentina but was impounded and spent years in customs in Italy, bought by a Mr Weston, and imported to UK.
    I contacted him and he said he was taking it to New York if it did not sell it. This may have happened as his advert in Motor Sport gave the wrong contact number and I had to ask the Motor Sport office for the correct details. I never went to see the car as at the tiime I did not like the Allemano coachwork.
    regards,
    John

6. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    #156 masermad, Jan 28, 2009
  7. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    #157 masermad, Jan 28, 2009
  8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I think this car is #056. Thanks for posting the photos!

Ciao!
    Walter

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #159 wbaeumer, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    Not sure if this is #2020 but it might be possible. The A6GCS-advert is confusing. A "class winner" in the MM`s looked different. Its clearly a longnose-version. This modification came on very few cars (2 I assume) but those are known as DNF`s in the MM.

Strange - but interesting. Thanks for posting!

Ciao!
    Walter

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #160 GIOTTO, Feb 7, 2009
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Interesring shot! But I don`t know the VIN.

Anybody?

Ciao!
    Walter

12. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    Excuse me, regarding the A6G-2000 that is the topic of this thread;

Which Weber carbs were used for the engine?

Regards

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    36DCO3, 38DCO3 and 40DCO3. Depends on the coachwork-version.

Ciao!
    Walter

14. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    I saw #2188 in Sweden in 1990 at an auktion.It was black then.

Kind regards!
    Magnus

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Its worth to note that the ZF-gearbox of #2188 is currently in an A6G-2000 Coupe Zagato! The Zagato-gearbox (made by Maserati inhouse!) was sold 2 years ago to Germany. So, where is the "rest" of the car today???

Ciao!
    Walter

16. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Ask Nick Harley he sold all the nice cars in Sweden abroad.

Kind regards!
    Magnus

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Do you have photos of #2188???

Ciao!
    Walter

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #168 wbaeumer, Feb 9, 2009
  19. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Nice photos thanks for charing with us. The rims was not so good looking.
    Magnus

20. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    #170 Serenissma, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    No photos Walter sorry. The car was on sale at the same auktion as 150S design by Frua and built by Fantuzzi.But #2188 was a late incomming car so no photo in the auktioncatalog.I think it was own by Hans Thulin but i'm not sure.

Kind regards!
    Magnus

21. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    #171 johnei, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  23. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Is this the A6G thread? I would have put it in the Sebring thread if I could find the right one.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Why not open a Sebring-thread then?

Ciao!
    Walter

25. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle