A sad day for me and my 575M | FerrariChat

A sad day for me and my 575M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Elsi, Jan 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #1 Elsi, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had my 575M in the shop for fixing a problem with the clutch (throw-out bearing). Today my tech (official Ferrari dealer) called me. I thought he would tell me I can come to take the car home. Instead he told me that he had totaled the car (see pics).

He was on a test drive to verify that all works fine. When he accelerated on the high way drive-up in 4th gear he crossed the white line and lost the car (it was wet and cold but not icy).

I know this tech quite well for about 10 years and he always delivered excellent work. He nearly cried when he had to tell me on the phone that he totaled my car. I will meet him this evening and discuss what car they will offer me and what I will have to pay up (they have a black 575 HGTC, a 599 or also a 430).

I take this as a chance for a new car (even though I guess I will have to pay some money for an “upgrade”).

Markus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jamie traina likes this.
  2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Oh my, sorry for your loss, but at least it sounds like no one was hurt in the accident.

I've had a few loose moments when my 550's tires were still stone cold. Nothing life threatening but it does get your attention.

Good luck on your replacement negotiations.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Devastating, but you have a great attitude about it!

VAF84, Oengus, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    +1. Best of luck.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Best of Luck.

Glad no one was hurt.

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :eek: Oh, what an awful phone call to get :(

But your attitude is commendable. I'm glad no one got hurt, and kudos
    at least to your tech for being honest - he could have blamed it on the car,
    but chose to be honest.

Good luck in your replacement quest

Oh, and I love the irony of the Prius passing your poor Ferrari on the highway :p:p

Jedi

daytona355 and brianweekes like this.
  7. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Wow, Markus, what a phone call to get... How awful for this to happen to what is obviously a well-cared for car.

But, as you said, a chance for a new car, and I'll bet you'll get 'special consideration' on the price of the car...

Mike

daytona355 likes this.
  8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sorry to hear that. Im sure you had lots of wonderful memories with the Maranello and i hope the next one will be even better.

9. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks to all for the kind words! That really helps!

I am back from meeting the tech. He explained once again how it happened: He was entering the high way with about 80 km/h (50 mph) in 4th gear. He was far away from fully pressing the right pedal and actually was accelerating rather smooth. When he crossed the lane it happened and he lost the car. He is very experienced with an age of 56 and working for more than 10 years for this Ferrari dealer.

When the police came they treated him as if he was 20 and driving a Ferrari for the first time. He first had to explain to them that he is very used to drive such cars.

Now I will take some time and think about my next Ferrari. It is still winter here so I do not have to hurry. The tech showed my all their cars. I do not like the sales guys very much of this dealer and always talk to this tech. He is very experienced and open to tell about the weaknesses of the different cars. I really appreciate his honesty.

Thank you all so much for your expressions of sympathy

Markus

rampante550 and daytona355 like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- I am really sorry to hear about the accident. I know how attached you were to your car. Hopefully the chance to move up to the HGTC will cost you nothing. I think they should offer you that car in direct exchange as recompense.

Glad nobody was hurt, but sorry it had to happen.

Schumi and daytona355 like this.
  11. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thank you, Terry

Markus

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My condolances to you Markus. Very sad to see an accident like that.

I wonder what happened.. Did the torque from the engine make the wheels spin out of control? I guess the ASR was off? I had an almost similar experience one time with a Maserati 3200 GT. It was wet and I changed lane in a slight turn with a little bit of throttle. The anti-spin had no chance of avoiding the wheel spin and the car broke loose for a 360 degree spin-out that in one mysterious way ended well as I managed to straighten the car and drove luckily further down the highway.. I guess I had become so used to the ASR working that I trusted the car too much. But when the rear end of a car suddenly looses its tracktion, things happen in the matter of on tenth of a second. It is just unbelievingly little time from great joy to disaster. So now I always "hold back" 20% and it works great.

I bet you will get that HGTC for a decent price as a compensation, and paid by your insurance company. What are the colors and spec of that car? Please let us know how your "mood" is developing. Whatever happens, I wish you the very best!!

Erik

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You have my sincerest sympathies. I'm still grieving over my 330 2+2, totaled nearly five years ago.

14. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Markus; Have you considered buying back the car & "Parting it out"?.....seems there is alot of potential there.....Mark

15. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    wow, I'm so sorry. Best of luck.

16. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Spooky! If you recall the photos, the car at the front of all those crashed Ferraris in Japan a few weeks ago......was a Prius
    PAUL

brianweekes likes this.
  17. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Ouch that hurts!

I hope it all works out. good luck

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, that's the call any of us dread when our cars are in for service! Sorry to hear about it. I do like your attitude though. Nothing you can do about it but try to put a positive spin on it. Good luck with the search for a new car!!

19. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Very sad to see such a beauty in that shape. As others have stated :good to see no one was hurt" It might be exciting to go on the hunt for a new model though.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, I am very impressed with your attitude. I hope you're able to find a replacement quickly.

21. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wow - reminds me of that F40 that was wrecked during a service. It must be the mechanic's version of a doctor telling the family that they've lost the patient. Hard call to make.

Good luck with your next car!

Erik

22. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    So very sorry....

Glad nobody was hurt.

I hope it all works out in your favor.... get that HGTC!

Bill

23. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Ouch! That really hurts!

No. The tech told me that the car will go back to Maranello when it is totalled.

When I woke up this morning my first thoughts were about my Fcar. Since my tech was very experienced and cautious, the situation is not too hard for me. I think the same thing could have happen to me as well. It would be a completely different story if he were negligent or if somebody else would have crashed into my Ferrari inadvertently.

The tech assured he was driving in normal mode with ASR fully engaged.

I am currently thinking about the following options for the replacement:
    - HGTC: I always wanted a HGTC but bought an “ordinary” 575M. Mine was black/tan and the HGTC of the dealer is black/black. Since I do not like black interiors too much I am not sure if this is the right car for me. I bought my 575 without the wife and she never liked the car. So we will do this evaluation together (that’s my learning of the purchase of this car).
    - 599: The dealer has a really nice 599 (black/cuoio, 2009, 9000 km). This is a very modern car with more power and less weight and also less service costs. But I had to pay quite an amount of money.
    - 430: I once drove a 430 together with my wife on the passenger seat and we both were very impressed about the car. The wife loved the sound and the feeling in the car as well as I did.

I am waiting for the offer from the dealer/insurance and will then decide together with my wife which is the best solution. The good thing is that I know have a good reason to test drive all these cars:)

Thanks again for all the kind words

Markus

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The Prius in the second picture is clearly at fault.

Markus, I applaud your unwaveringly cool attitude in the face of such terrible news. I'm glad your mechanic is okay - though he'll likely be haunted by this for some time. Did you just buy this car in 2009?

Please let us know how each test drive goes - and good call on including your wife in the decision this time. :)

25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You could put in your tan interior into the new HGTC...