A Special Gullwing | FerrariChat

A Special Gullwing

Discussion in 'Other German' started by swift53, Jan 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    BJK, INTMD8 and tritone like this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Saw the real thing yesterday :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm lead to believe that this guy in Australia has the highest number of Gull Wings in the world Lindsay Fox

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Angelo, lovely car, but it original only once. and the one in the painting
    is probably the only one with this patina.

I really think cars ought to be driven, as when bought new.
    This collection must be great, and the setting, fantastic. Lucky guy.

Regards, Alberto

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The chrome bars on the side grates of the painting are a little bit crooked. You have roadster taillights on a gullwing. Other than that it is a true representation

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Were the Paul O'Shea raced 300SL roadsters totally bogus--all alloy, any other changes from stock? If not why did they totally disappear/ A restoration shop in NorCal restored an alloy 300SSL where nothing matched the other but I can't remember if that was a gullwing or roadster. Anybody have the SN? Didn't they have to record the SNs to race? I have my own SN story. i bought a gullwing in Calgary but the seller gave me the title to his father's gullwing. When i get to the border customs notices the discrepanccy but that was in the days before computers so they let me go--I imagine gullwingers are still trying to sort it out 60 years later...

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mr. Wyss, thank you for your approval on the "painting" being a true representation. Very kind and generous...
    This, considering the post you comment on, is not even the finished painting. Ahh...clairvoyant.

You are at odds about the taillights, as my daughter did a commission of a car presented to her,
    'as is', in a photograph. Therefore it is a 'painting' not a 'photograph'. Your knowledge on 300's is amazing.

"You have roadster taillights on a gullwing"?
    This is a post about a painting commissioned by the owner. If you do not approve, complain to the owner, or is it your anorak side?

She has or had no bearing about the taillights being from a Roadster or from a Rambler or any other car.

You say that "The side grates are a "little bit crooked". Really? Is this your car? Did you commission the painting?

I didn't think so. Therefore I fail to see your points / critique. Just making a comment about yours.

Commission a painting from my daughter, then, you are free to make odd remarks.
    Please be fair.

Regards, Alberto

PS. Just saw your P4 painting, the "PROVA" is crooked and the exhaust pipes are too small :)

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I meant the chrome rim on the side grates. Yes that word PROVA is hard to paint! Overall the biggest challenge is diminishing perspective. If you get that right it all works out. I hope I can see a P3/4 at Pebble to measure those tailpipes! About the 300SL tailamps--I think some 300SL gullwing owners changed them over, wanting to update their cars. I owned two gullwings, both '54s, even though most historians say they were '55 through '57 models/ i am amazed they survived because back when i owned them they were hard to keep running because of the FI. I thought about converting to carbs but maybe the slant of the engine would have impeded their proper functioning. .

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you for your most kind and direct reply.

Regards, Alberto