ABC of dyno testing for dummies | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ABC of dyno testing for dummies

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ze_shark, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    How do they get away with that? Wouldnt buyers complain?

Heck, a $20,000 Miata comes up 5-6 hp short of manufacturer's claims and theres nearly a class action lawsuit!

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Yep, they are the third I mentioned below. Do you live nearby ?
    Had good experience with them ?

3. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    I am from Villars-sur-Glâne (Fribourg) !

Ask for Jean-François Weber, he's the one who dynoed my car and I had a very good experience with him.

From what I understood, MecaComponent is a company created by a group of friends in order to share their passion for Porsche and engine tuning and is operated more as a hobby.

Most of the peoples working there have a "real" job during the day and work for MecaComponent during their free time.

Regards,

David

PS : Here's a picture of my car on the dyno

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ze_shark - whatever became of your efforts?

doody.

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Pitifully shelved, I must admit.

First, the whole thing was revolving around my project to put Tubi straight pipes on, and that is not going to happen since I don't like the sound (thanks to cwwhk's kind contribution). So when I put Tubi's on, these will be cans, post 2002 vintage.

The 'when' part depends on the resolution of that silly warranty issue which was debated in another thread. Things may be different in the US, but here, unless/until I get a statement from Ferrari/a dealer stating that my warranty remains valid, I am not taking the risk. This in spite of the urge to have the little shark sounding like it ought to.

Finally, an independent dealer more or less convinced me that the whole idea is a loose-loose since the number is merely a subject for endless interpretation and discussions. So I concluded that if the car feels and sounds good, the operation will be a success.

6. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I do not agree with that dealer at all.

If done properly, even very small power changes can be observed and quanitifed.

I can see the reduction in power output of my car when I run 110 fuel in it over 93 (and the power is at a level that does not require the extra octane).

7. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart