AC Delete in 360 | FerrariChat

AC Delete in 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by dang2407, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Has anyone removed the complete AC system from their 360? Can this be done without removing the engine? I'm looking at shedding some weight...

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think the AC compressor is in the front trunk. So it is possible to get most of the weight out without removing the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    If you remove the smog system please show pictures. I would love to remove the pipe on top of the manifold that connects to some big braided hoses.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

4. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    IF you remove the items, it will be a substantial weight saving. Easily 25 pounds.
    You can gain access to most of the items via the service hatch behind the seats. Then you have the AC-radiator in the front of the car.

Only ”tell sign” would be the buttons on the HVAC panel. Don’t think it’s possible to buy one with AC delete...

5. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    250 lbs is substantial....................
    25 lbs is minimal...............

Removing the A/C is not going to make you any faster & lower your lap times. It's just going to make your drive to & from the track uncomfortable. Plus the reduced windshield defrost efficiency, since the A/C system removes the moisture in the cabin to speed up the defog process.

On the track I just push the A/C OFF button to shut off the compressor.

6. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I’m confused by all 360 weight shedding threads. If you wanted a faster car, wouldn’t it be easier to just get a modern one?

7. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    You'll obviously kill the value of your car as well.. I'd think you'd be better off spending that lost money on f430 upgrade for a bit quicker lap times.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I went on a diet at the beginning of the year and lost 30lbs. Beats disassembling my 360 and a lot healthier for it. My way of looking at it and I still get to enjoy my A/C.

9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I find your comments mildly amusing...

You actually mean that lowering the weight doesn’t affect acceleration and improves handling??? That would mean a 360 CS won’t be as fast as a std Modena around the track... Jeez! Guess there’s a first time for everything.

And the defrost comment??? Get real! Do you drive your Ferrari a lot during winter time at freezing temp?

Yes - removing the AC will most certanly hit resale value, no doubt about that.
    And Yes - it’s a lot more comfortable having AC in the car for those hot summer days (and nights, for that matter).
    And No - I wouldn’t remove it from my car.

Funny how some seem to react to this thread... No problem (in fact; some of us are very pro), with removing heavy electrical seats, changing to CF, changing wheel lugs to TI, etc, etc. But removing the AC - flames...

But to each his own I say...

dang2407 likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    To answer the question and not the semantics surrounding it..

If one was so inclined.. Yes you can do it without removing the engine.
    - You'd have to first get all the refrigerant out.
    - You'd have to open the hatch behind the seats and undo the serpentine belt. The go in the front trunk and unbolt the lines from the evaporator assembly.
    - Then lift the car up, from beneath undo the AC lines from the compressor.
    - Then, remove the lines gently. Then from beneath and behind the seats unbolt the compressor in the engine bay.
    - Then if you want to remove the evaporator coil in the HVAC box, you'll *probably* have to remove the evaporator box.
    - You'd also have to remove the AC evaporator coil in the drivers side front of the car. Lines as well removed from the bottom and driver wheel well.
    - Gots to leave the fan for heat control.
    - Electrical controls for climate are integrated so the knob panel would have to remain. You could possibly remove the HVAC control module. But electrically its all intertwined unfortunately.

Why on earth someone would want to do this is beyond me though. Easier to convert the engine to CS spec and get another 15 or 20 HP IMHO or get rid of entire interior.

11. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    No need to remove the engine. Your big ticket items (in terms of weight) are the compressor and condenser which are simple to remove. The lines between the engine and the front of the car are easy to get out (as is the filter in the front trunk). If you wanted to remove the evaporator then the dash will have to come out.

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Just fill up to 2/3 every time, instead of full, same effect.... 25# about 4 gallons of gas.

13. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    This should amuse you even more...............

458 & 488 Challenge RACE cars have A/C

go figure

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I had a 1998 Mazda Miata (Mx-5) with no AC. It was fine most of the time as it's a convertible, so summers were not too bad in that sense. My 2001 Lotus Elise also has no AC, yet I gotta say, as the top is not as simple to operate as it was on the Mazda, it gets to the point in summer where it can be a bit of a bother.

I really don't think I'd ever want another car with no AC, the convenience is simply so much better than being blasted either by hot air, getting roasted in the sun, or constantly having the windows open for a breeze. I lived through it with the Mazda as it was just an impulse buy toy, and I can live with it on the Lotus as it's so light and fun to kick around, but I won't be keeping the Lotus for much longer as I prefer to drive my Modena much more.

My opinion is, don't remove it...

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    You missed the all important CS rear grill that most of us have modified our cars with ;)

I was thinking the same thing.
    Instead of answering the question that the Op posted everyone wants to give their personal opinion on the value of removing the AC, lol.
    People are so concerned about resale value, geez, I've also 'personalized' my car to my taste. Who gives a damn about the next owner!

dang2407 and Mickster like this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I think people bashing the OP for wanting to remove his AC is a bit unfair. Its his car and he can do whatever he wants to it. Depends on what he wants to use the car for, if its only track days or he lives in a colder climate it might not matter at all.

I shed around 250kg's out of a 360 Modena without resorting to removing AC, Electric Windows or Central Locking. You really notice that and i kept the car totally happy and drivable as a road car. The weight reduction has also dramatically improved ride quality.

I would point out that if you remove AC you can then fit the Novitec Rotrex Twin Superchargers which use the aircon pully so its a win win! The weight saved from the AC its replaced with the superchargers ;) Further to that the 360 N-GT front cabon bonnet has a NACA duct for diverting cool air into the air system so you can always fit one of them. And ofcourse the other really lightweight option is a cooler box incorporated into the race seat.

As for silly remarks about buying a faster car. Its not actually all about going faster (sigh). If you want a silly fast car buy a tund 1200hp twin turbo'd monster like a Nissan GT-R for relatively little money. Its about how it handles and the feeling of a go cart you get with a super lightweight agile and well setup, well balanced car.

dang2407 and Mickster like this.
  17. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Thanks for all the replies.

The reasons I want to remove the AC are:
    1) I live in a part of the world that doesn't really require it, other than maybe 2 days a year and I can suffer opening the window instead.
    2) Weight-saving. Any single weight saving is not significant on its own. But add them all together and you have something that cause your car to perform a lot better, in ALL areas. And you dont need to take it to a race-track to feel the difference.
    3) The car purchase of my 360 was inexpensive beacause it needed attention in some areas. This means firstly, I can drive it without worrying about value and secondly I can make a project out of it,
    4) The AC doesnt work currently and due to all the above points, it seems like a good idea to remove it.

One other point, if you can unbolt the parts, keep them, and re-fit them when it come time to sell, will that really de-value the car?

A point about buying a newer car to go faster... it's not about the speed, but about the interaction of the driver and the car. Unfortunately, modern cars leave me cold due to the fact they do everything too well and have a 'playstation' involvement with the driver, i.e. no feel, everything assisted. So I'll be sticking with 360 thanks ;):cool:

18. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    That's because in long-ish races, driver performnce suffers if they are in an uncomfortable environment and losing fluid by the bucket. Some race series, e.g. WEC, actually put a limit on max cabin temperature and will black flag a car if it exceeds this.