AC Hose Question | FerrariChat

AC Hose Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My Mondial 3.2 was converted to R143a and works very well. But each couple of years, I do need to top up the refridgerant. There are no leaks (it has been UV dye tested) and the loss must be from the old long non barrier hoses that I understand the R134 permeates through. It is not uncommon for some minor losses on converted systems.

The gold standard outcome would be to replace the hoses with modern barrier hoses, but that has always looked like a tedious job, need to get custom hoses made as I am unaware of any bolt in options out there. I may do all that eventually, but its not on my priority list of projects.

Is there some sort of ac sealer that would coat the inside of the hoses and reduce the permeability? I know there are many ac sealants, but they are designed for leaks at fittings, or very small ones in the evp or condensor etc, to my knowledge they would not have any effect on the hose permeabily. But with all the modern chemistry, maybe someone is aware of an additive to the system that would address the hose permeability?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A/C hoses are not expensive to have made. My A/C shop even does it while I wait.In some models it can be a big job getting them in and out though.

I have never been a fan of additives in an A/C system. The more thing's that can coat an evaporator or a condenser internally the less heat exchange you'll have.

afterburner and moysiuan like this.