AC Is Quirky As Always | FerrariChat

AC Is Quirky As Always

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have a 1987 328GTS that I have owned for 32 years. During all those years my AC has always been quirky. It would work for a while, then quit and only blow warm air. Then it would begin working again the next day or so. But always after a while while driving and cycling a number of times, it would quit.
    I have been reading up on problems others have had on Ferrari Chat so I have made some tests. I know how AC units work from a thermodynamic standpoint but I do not have thorough knowledge of the electricals controlling it. Here is what I know so far.

1. System is fully charged.
    2. There is continuity at the pressure switch on the receiver/dryer.
    3. Two fuses in dash fuse box are good.
    4. There are 12+ volts at fuse #5 with no key in ignition. Fuse #5 is the 7th from the left in second group of fuses.
    5. There are 12+ volts at 7th fuse from left in first group of fuses with ignition on.
    6. There is 12+ volts at receiver dryer with both temperature switch and blower switches on and clutch not engaging. This is for both connections. When clutch engages, there is 10.4 volts to ground at receiver/dryer at both wires.
    7. AC blower always works.
    8. Condenser blower always works when system is operating correctly. It comes on when needed. It system is not working properly it does not come on.
    9. When system is not working properly, the compressor clutch is not engaging.

Yesterday I removed the electronics in the passenger footwell and tested all the relays with a spare battery, leads, and ohm meter. The four relays checked out OK. Upon putting everything back I tested the system by turning on the ignition and turning on the AC controls. Engine was not started so I can hear clutch engagement. With temperature control at off position, turning on the blower did not engage the clutch. Leaving the blower on, as soon as I moved the temperature control, clutch engaged. Turning the blower on and off would engage and disengage the clutch properly. So would turning the temperature control switch on and off with the blower switch on.

Today I decided to recheck things. I turned the ignition on, left the temperature control in off position (fully CCW) and turned on the blower. No clutch engagement occurred as expected until I moved the temperature control from the off position. Then the clutch engaged. But when I tried to do this a second time, the clutch would not engage. There is no voltage at the compressor but there is voltage at the receiver/dryer switch as well as continuity. With it not working, items 4 and 5 checked out OK. Occasionally when testing in this manner, there would be a several second delay before I would hear the clutch engage. On other occasions, there would be a slight delay before I would hear the clutch disengage when turning either the temperature control or blower switch off.

An hour went by so I tried the test again. It is now working but I am sure it will go on the fritz again like it always has. What tests should I make to ferret out the problem? Does the occasional delay in clutch engagement/disengagement imply a relay is bad? All electrical components except receiver/dryer switch are original.

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    First thing, what comes to my mind is ice on and inside the expansion valve.
    Did you ever try it with the front compartment cover removed, so that you can look how the expansion valve and surrounds look when the system quits?
    If it's covered in ice, chances are good, that its internally clogged with ice as well.
    After melting the system will work again.
    Just a thought, but easy to diagnose.

Best from Germany
    Martin

3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    What you have written sounds reasonable, and I have thought of that but the failure occurs when I turn it on and off with the engine NOT running. Therefore it could not be freezing. I never started the engine during the tests I mentioned in my post where I checked voltages.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Have you examined/checked/refreshed the ground connection wire at the AC compressor clutch? If you have +12V at all of the terminals on the high/low switch(es) relative to ground, but the AC clutch doesn't engage, the trouble has to be somewhere in the wiring path from the high/low switch -to- V white connector -to- fuse panel PCB trace -to- Y white connector -to- engine bay connectors -to- AC clutch winding -to- ground = so wouldn't hurt to unplug/inspect/replug the V and Y white connectors too (the wire color of interest in both connectors is VM = green-brown). And same thing there -- if the VM wire terminal in the Y white connector is +12V relative to ground (you should be able to touch the VM wire terminal with your voltmeter when the Y connector is plugged in), but the AC clutch doesn't engage = wiring trouble is downstream from there.

Do you have a copy of the 328 wiring diagram book?

Milkshaker0007 and mike996 like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At best you have a voltage loss to the hi/low switches. Do you have a wiring diagram? If not that is step one. It should be a very simple process of following that circuit from the hi/low switches to the compressor. It is a very simple system.

Well Steve just said essentially the same.

6. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    When the clutch does not engage there is 0.0 volts from the lead to the compressor to the engine block. When it does engage, there is 12+ volts from there to block. So it would seem to me the clutch is grounded properly. By the way, what does PCB trace mean?

Another comment I have is that when the clutch engages, the fan relay for the condenser clicks. When the clutch does not engage, there is no audible click at that same relay. It is not getting activated. So it would seem that the problem is up front.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    PCB trace = the conductive copper paths on the fuse-relay panel printed circuit board.

Agree, but, if you get +12V at the high/low switch, the AC compressor clutch should engage (regardless of what other problems might be occurring).

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Sounds like the switch is flakey. Try turning it on until it doesn't work then while NOT turning it off rotate the switch back and forth to see if it comes on. Or better, connect your VO meter to the output from the switch and verify that every time you turn it you get 12V. Could be the temp sensor thinking that it's already cool enough.

mike996 likes this.
  9. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Steve, when you say high/low switch, which switch is that? Is it the blower speed switch or the temperature switch just left of it?

10. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Saabquy, I have done that. Without running the engine and with only the ignition in the run position, rotating the switch (temperature switch) back and forth without going fully CCW to off position does not get the clutch to re-engage once the problem occurs. There have been times when testing it with engine off, there is a several second delay before the relay in the fuse box clicks and clutch engages. And sometimes it won't activate at all.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You have had this car for 32 years and it sounds like this has been an issue all along. I had this exact issue on a brand new one and it was simply a case of one of the spade connectors slipped out of the plastic plug and made intermittent contact. It was in the harness somewhere between the hi/low switch and the compressor. Have a look at the diagram and find all the plugs between those 2 components. I suspect you'll find one in the right footwell.

For what it is worth that was a common issue with those harnesses.

Hi/low switch is the one on the drier. It cuts off current if the pressure gets too high or too low.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As Brian said, the high/low pressure switch is mounted on top of the dryer under the front bonnet. In your #6 where you wrote: "There is 12+ volts at receiver dryer", I took that to mean that you do have +12V there even when the AC clutch does not engage -- if not the case, please clarify.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Rifledriver, you are correct. It has been an issue ever since I bought the car. Once back in the early 90's my wife and I were driving it to a Ferrari Club meet at Rockingham Speedway in NC. AC was working fine but then went on the fritz and would not cool anymore. We opened the windows and drove on. A large insect hit passenger outside mirror and landed on the side of my wife's face. She slapped it off but also slapped off a very good earring. She was not happy. To lighten the mood I remarked that maybe it will become stylish for women to only wear one earring. She failed to see the humor.

A few days ago I opened up the footwell and pulled the 4 relays out. Prongs looked fine. I also removed the plug in connectors. They looked fine also but all was sprayed with contact cleaner and plugged back in.

A little while ago, I was checking it out again. I could not get the clutch to fail to engage. Testing was done with ignition in run position and engine off. The only difference between today and yesterday is that today it is not humid. It had rained on and off for a few days prior to today. Usually, it only takes 3-5 on and offs for the clutch to not engage. I must have turned it on and off via both controls a dozen or more times.

I think I have located the connector in the engine compartment. The line to the clutch passed under the intake. A white connector is near the oil cooler. I'll get that apart today and have a look.

14. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Steve, I measure 12+ volts at both spades on the receiver/dryer high/low switch when the clutch is NOT engaging. I measure both by sliding the connector off a wee bit so I can get my VOM probe on the bared spades. Other VOM probe goes to a nut on the radiator. When engaging the voltage is 10.4 volts at each spade.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With that symptom, I can only restate that this indicates a break in the wiring path from the high/low pressure switch -to- V white connector -to- fuse panel PCB trace -to- Y white connector -to- engine bay connectors -to- AC clutch winding -to- ground. Make the same measurement (when it's not working) at the VM (green-brown) wire in the Y white connector:

If you get same +12V result there = problem is downstream from there.

If you get 0V there = problem is between high-low pressure switch and the Y connector VM terminal.

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    does the 328 ac work like the tr just ok or does it perform better ?

17. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    There are three white connectors on my fuse panel. One is on the left end. The other two are on the right end. On the right end, where there are two white connectors, the bottom wire of the left connector is brown with green rings on it. Is this the correct wire? At the moment I cannot get the clutch not to engage - it's working properly but I am sure it'll fail to come on again. When that happens I'll measure the voltage. With it working properly, voltage there is 12+ volts with engine running. It slightly less than 12 volts without engine running and also with clutch engaged.

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #18 Steve Magnusson, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    I maybe shouldn't have said "white" (as I'm not 100% sure of the connector housing colors), but you should have 8 longish single-row, multi-pin connectors (4 horizontal and 4 vertical) or, at least, places for 8 of them -- this jpeg shows the location of the Y connector position (it should have a VM wire on/very near the left end):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    PS Ignore the note in the jpeg - that was from discussing some other previous 328 issue.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Wow...if there's a chance that a 328 AC could be "better" than the tr's, the tr AC must be truly abysmal!

The best I could say of my 328 AC when I bought the car was, "poor." Admittedly, that was with R134 (previous owner). It could manage to make the cockpit "a little less hot." ;) I drove the car 2700 mile in 2 1/2 days from Vegas to Chester, MD two days after purchasing it and I was sweating the whole trip.

It actually works reasonably well now, after a lot of DIY research and learning how to service it myself. Dealer/shop attempts were laughable results-wise. I'd call its performance now as "fair." It managed to keep me reasonably comfortable last year on a drive from Chester MD to San Antonio, TX.

20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    outside temp last summer 95 inside was putting out 60 degrees so it was just cool i dont expect much from the ac from 80/s to early 90s cars

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    From about 1970 onward, any US car with properly functioning factory air could freeze you out of the vehicle. I never could understand why many cars from other parts of the world that were sold in the US were marginal AC-wise at least until the 90's.

I have managed to get my 328's AC (using propane-based refrigerant) to produce output in the low 40's with temps outside in the low 90's. The problem is that the evaporator does not have the capacity to move enough air volume. My wife's 03 MB S500 cannot get the output temps anywhere near that low in the same conditions - typically in the upper 50's BUT it can move so much air that it can hold temps in the car to the high 60's if you want to do that.

Adding to the mix, we all have various "comfort levels" as far as AC is concerned. I like the cabin temps below 75F; other folks are comfortable with them in the '80's. So an AC system that seems OK to one person, might be inadequate for someone else.

craiggo and blkdiablo33 like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Traditionally European cars did not have as good A/C because their climate did not require it. American cars of the 70's are still a standard no one else at any other time have matched.

Also power windows. A number of years ago I had a senior mechanic under me at a Ferrari dealer. He once said quite correctly that he could go to a junk yard with a jumper battery and find an old Cadillac and the windows would work better than any Ferrari ever made.

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What I find so odd about the windows is that there were countless better, proven, non-patented ways to accomplish the task. Why Ferrari did this Rube Goldberg cable thing with slow motors is just mystifying.

It's like the engineer had never even bothered looking inside an American door panel.

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It seems, that the Italians were never really interested in these neglibilities. Look at wipers, heating, headlights and such things.
    Though Fiat sold a lot of cars to the northern European countries, heating was less than adequate till the 80s.
    They even started early, building cars in a new factory in Poland, where winters can get seriously cold. But they didn't care.

But why Ferrari didn't make a better A/C is beyond me. Italy -especially the south- is one of the warmer european countries.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I also have an '87 328 and an A/C system my dad and I rebuilt two years ago using r12. We agree 100% that this is not a air temperature problem but air flow problem. I jury-rigged some PVC pipe to blow the air directly on me from the round vents on the dash and this made a HUGE difference! Of course this was only a test and I couldn't leave them in there but it convinced me it's airflow/air direction.