Accident | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Accident

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by sklitz11, Oct 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very sad to always read the word "Ferrari" in the middle of complete lunacy such as this......

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the innocent victims of what appears to be total self centered lack of personal responsibility.......

It appears "Daddy took care of everything" in this case, for sure.........

2. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
  3. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76168&page=2

"205 mph"... how not to behave and a good sign that money and a wonderful car still does not give you common sense. I only pushed the limit in my Ferrari once and quickly commented how stupid it was. This guy did it on a daily basis and we have so called experts on Fchat admiring that behavior. Well the end result of one should, hopefully should put some fear into others. These so called educated others.

RocketBoy

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's all terribly sad and closer to home than I originally realized.

I was also surprised to hear that a third car was involved in the accident.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

5. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As a result of the Lane case, prosecutors in DuPage County will no longer be allowed to offer supervision to drivers caught going more than 25 mph over the speed limit. Starting January 1, the secretary of state's office will suspend the licenses of those drivers who receive supervision more than twice in a year.

Can you say CYA.

6. ducatimatrix998

Oct 26, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Here is the new Illinois law: As a result of the Lane case, prosecutors in DuPage County will no longer be allowed to offer supervision to drivers caught going more than 25 mph over the speed limit.

Starting January 1, the secretary of state's office will suspend the licenses of those drivers who receive supervision more than twice in a year.

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Too bad tragedy is what leads common sense to prevail.
    Supervision should be given INFREQUENTLY. Apparently, previously given out like .59 cent cheeseburgers.

8. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    It's the norm. In fact I've been in traffic court where the first thing the Judge asks is who wants to plead guilty and get court supervision. Then 7/8 of the audience raises their hands, and gets in a big line to pay the fines. Just a big tollbooth.

9. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
  10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  11. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Legal question here. Can I cut a portion of the copyrighted story and paste it here? If so, I'll paste the pertinent info.

12. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Reprinted from Chicagotribune.com, 10.26.2005

Crash-scene investigators have been unable to calculate the exact speed Matthew Lane, 27, was driving Oct. 10 when his Ferrari Berlinetta collided with two other vehicles on Fabyan Parkway. Lane, Nicole Westerhoff, 23, of North Aurora and her son Devin were killed in the crash.

But in a report on the incident released this week, an investigator wrote that based on witnesses' statements, an examination of the vehicles and the scene, "speed did play a role in this accident." Lane was driving at an "excessive speed" that caused him to lose control, the report states.

"It can be stated that the driver of the Ferrari lost physical control of the vehicle prior to impact and encroached the lane ... not legally accessible to him," wrote investigator Lt. Paul Dunklau of the county sheriff's office.

"The single action of the Ferrari started a chain of events that resulted in the unfortunate deaths of three individuals," he wrote.

Lane had been cited 42 times in DuPage County in the last nine years, including 24 tickets for speeding, but had a valid driver's license because most of his infractions resulted in court supervision, keeping the infractions off his permanent record. Westerhoff had no history of driving infractions.

A witness told police that just before the crash, the Ferrari passed him at high speed, "cutting [him] off" on Fabyan to catch up to another vehicle.

Another driver told police the Ferrari had been following him very closely at high speed, and that he kept speeding up to stay away from him, according to the report. When he approached the curved road, the man told police he slowed down, and that the Ferrari passed him. The Ferrari's driver then lost control of his vehicle, striking the other cars, the man said.

The Ferrari, which was traveling east on the curved roadway, apparently crashed into Westerhoff's Toyota Corolla first and then a Ford Explorer, both of which were traveling west, according to the report. The driver of the Explorer was not seriously injured.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,as much as I love High Performance Cars. Unfortunately,there's no way to "Weed Out" the Morons who aren't Mature enough to Drive them sensibly when on Public Roads. And,as long as the Secretary of States Office just gives out Drivers Licenses to anybody who know what a "Merge Sign" looks like. It's not going to change.

And,unfortunately,this Idiot had to be driving a Ferrari. And that makes other Ferrari Drivers look bad.

I hope that Joe Birkett follows through with his Promise to start cracking down on aggressive drivers,and those who have too many tickets.

Hey,just confiscate their Cars. I wouldn't mind picking up a few High Performance Cars,Cheap,at a State Auction.

14. ducatimatrix998

Oct 26, 2005
    Chicagoland
    The car is at my cousins husband's bodyshop...I saw yesterday...OMG! They had to move the car to the inside of the shop because sick treasure hunters were stealing items off the vehicle. From looking at the car...the driver didn't suffer long. It was a very horrific scene. They are now guesstimating he was going minimum 150+ MPH.