According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them | FerrariChat

According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tsachi458, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  2. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    So why you don't just buy a 458?

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
    The truth is I have 458 and I'm just in love with this car. I think Ferrari did not succeed with the 488. Let's hope they do better with the 488 replcecment

4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had both.
    488 is way better in everything but sound.
    I have no doubt about it.

5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I had a 458 which I loved, but truth be told, my new 488 is superior in every way. Oh yea, it also sounds great.

LVP488, Melvok, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    At this level, it is so subjective. I'm glad these guys published their opinion. It is fun to talk about and discuss. I agree with them on the looks. The 458 is a Jennifer Aniston and the 488 is more Hiedi Klum. Neither is ugly, but some prefer one over the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I doubt their acceleration and top speed claims are accurate.

Shadowfax, tekaefixe, shawdut and 2 others like this.
  8. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    They might be accurate, but they left out 60-200 to support there point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh wow! I have a camera and access to youtube. That means I’m an expert.

10. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I don't think they actually say that the 458 is better than the 488
    They do say it's a better buy and a better value (which will be obvious because it went through stages of depreciation already)
    I never had the 458 and bought the 488, and for me it was mainly looks because in my eyes the 488 is a much prettier car.
    But each one of us has their own opinion on that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok, stavura, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Oh C'mon get real - what a total load of crap. These 2 have lost the plot.

One things for certain I definitely won't be trading my 488 on a 458 least of all on these guys say so. What a joke!

MRJW, Viperjoe and SoCal to az like this.
  12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I could not agree more completely. Theses two video clowns should be embarrassed.

MANDALAY, Shadowfax and legendd like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah listening to the waffling makes you wonder if they even know what day it is. I think they both got bored watering their gardens...

Viperjoe likes this.
  14. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Brilliant video, all opinions are great to hear and it was a fun watch. I don't think they intend for their videos to be a scientific analysis breakdown.

Its just cool vids of guys driving and chatting about great cars.

Both cars are epic. My preference is an irrelevant noise in this echo chamber, but the vid was fun to watch...

VAF84, Melvok, v35 and 2 others like this.
  15. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Well, 458 guy has a 5711 Patek Philippe : his taste is sure ! :)

Seriously, 458 engine is amazing but 488 suspension, dampers and brakes are better (same as Speciale)

and the winner is ..... 458 speciale ! :) (the both of two worlds)

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The better car is the one that provides the greater thrills and excitement when DRIVING it.

QueueCumber, Melvok, MalcQV and 4 others like this.
  17. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Agreed 100 percent if I want the fastest car out there it’s not a Ferrari! 720s will smoke any Ferrari

Jamie traina and tekaefixe like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having bought both, I don’t find fault with their opinions.
    The sound is undeniably epic and a huge factor.

QueueCumber, Melvok and Jamie traina like this.
  19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    After getting over the fact that the two hosts look like a couple of dads barbecuing on a Sunday in Florida , I liked the video. As a Lamborghini guy and not knowing much between the two cars, I found it an informative video.

I liked the fact that they weren't going with the technical specs but just how both cars felt. For me, that's more important.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Caphill, Melvok and TheDiffuser like this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 is a far more enjoyable car to own than the 488. The 458 Italia was a really brilliant car in so many ways. I think in the coming years, you are going to be seeing a growing number of people selling off the 488 and either going back to the 458 or maybe waiting to see what comes next.

I'm working in building my own exhaust for the 488, but I'm not sure that's really going to resolve things enough to make me want to keep the 488 long term.

Ray

Caeruleus11 and v35 like this.
  21. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Never owned a 458 but drove one a while back. I'm sure either car is acceptable. Just bought a 488 and love it.

F430abdo likes this.
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The 458 was a masterpiece of a car when it launched - Ferrari making a seismic imprint on the supercar market. The 488 is not as big a leap over its predecessor. But....and here is the plain fact, the 488 is better in every way except the personal issue of looks, which even someone who has never driven either can decide for themselves, and possibly sound. I say possibly because that is not even a clear cut thing. The 458 probably sounds better to me but the 488 sounds really good too. And let’s not forget that the 458’s V8 motor is nothing compared to a GT3 RS or a Ferrari V12. The 488 is cutting edge as a package - fast, not the fastest, beautiful, not the most, superb handling, not the sharpest. But taken as a whole, there is nothing to beat it currently in the segment.

You can draw whatever conclusions you like about the subjective elements, but Ferrari did not make a worse car in the 488. No, they knocked it out of the park.

350MH83, Caeruleus11, stavura and 3 others like this.
  23. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    #23 458-Italia, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Well, V8 NA engine is amazing : 9000 rpm : not sure in a few years, 488 engine will stay in memories but I agree, handling is better for sure and brakes also !

But when you say "there is nothing to beat it currently in the segment" I don't agree :

I'm a Ferrari fan but McLaren 720S is better than 488 GTB : lighter, sharper, more powerfull, carbon frame, and less expensive (in Europe)

A stone thrown into the pond of Ferrari !

ps : I own a Speciale and waiting for Pista ( I hope it will be better than 720S !)

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you haven’t owned a 458 before, then I think you will embrace the 488 with the loving arms of a mother holding her newborn baby for the very first time.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Funny thing is many HAVE traded their 458 for a 488 and embraced 488 with loving arms....never to return.

Even funnier is how some are suggesting Ferrari makes their newer versions worse. Hilarious!!!!!!

And to continue the laughter further, suggesting 720 is a better car to drive. Now that one is an absolute sideslapper!