According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them | Page 5 | FerrariChat

According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tsachi458, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    #101 QueueCumber, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    This is exactly the problem I've had with newer cars I've driven. I test drove the 488 and Huracan back to back and they felt oddly similar. I test drove the 720S, and except for straight line launch acceleration, again very similar feeling to me. I keep saying it because to me it seems to be more true every year that as these cars approach the limits of acceleration they all start to feel like the same boring car due to the technologies employed. What's the point of switching or trading up when they all feel the same to me? I'd be buying the car because it excites me to have it, not because it excites me to drive it.

I guess this is just the natural progression towards automated cars with electric motors, which is inevitable I suppose if the species is to survive the perpetual population expansion...

TheDiffuser, tekaefixe and Shamile like this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Similar, really? A V10 n/a 4wd car and a V8 t/t rwd car, from different manufacturers with very different software strategies, different chassis development priorities and powertrain ECU programming and they feel the same? I don’t think so. Not even a 458 and 488 feel the same and they have the same number of cylinders from the same manufacturer. If you’re putting real energy through the chassis like on a track or even a fast road then there are very clear differences between 430, 458 and 488. So a Huracan must be even greater separation, a fact backed up by every test and video I have seen. I had a McLaren too, and that also feels very different to the Ferraris. As for Lusso and 812 v 488, those never feel the same at any point.

I get the point about older cars giving a different feeling behind the wheel and newer ones not necessarily invalidating older (outdated is not the same as invalidated), but to say they all drive the same, I just can’t see where you’re coming from unless you’re talking about 6 or 7/10ths driving. But even then..

3. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had both.
    610-4 and now 488 (in the middle the Performante).
    I have to say that they are really different. H always feels on train tracks. You can really push it to the limits and it will always be easy to control and will not create you any trouble unless you switch electronic controls off (and you don't on open streets).
    488 is different. It goes fast and very well but it is more nervous and if you push it to the limits it will advise you that you are risking.
    Performante was another planet. ;)

4. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Which is exactly opposite of what the second video said about the 488. I'm beginning to think that most car "impressions" aren't terribly reliable or consistent.

F430abdo and LVP488 like this.
  5. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    The problem that "pushing hard" is personal ;)
    I've friends thinking to push their car hard on open road and they are using it at 50%.
    If you push a 488 hard, trust me, it is much nervous compared to a H (even cause H is 4WD).
    I've done all the Lamborghini track experience and some Ferrari's. I know what I'm saying :D

6. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hu
    Spot on And too make matters worse is when people label such reviews and opinions having not owned either of the cars. I have owned a 458 and I currently own a 488 spider. I can tell you that the car is a marvel of engineering and is in no way a mistake. It’s just not the natural aspirated beast at 9000 rpm my italia was but it is in every way still a beast. People just don’t seem to compare apples to apples in this case or see these cars both for what they are, intitelt different experiences.

7. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Sounds like your trying to emulate opera at a rock and roll concert;-) brother 488 won’t wver sound like 458, just straight up spade calling a spade. I owned my 458 and I adored that car recently I purchased the 488 spider and it’s epic but it’s not gonna ever hit that note. I knew that getting into the change and therefore already accepted it. But every other aspect of the car is better. IMO

RayJohns likes this.
  8. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I wonder why everyone is so critical of the sound these cars put out? I know that’s part of the experience but for gods sake they are cars not violins. Their meant to drive not sit and listen to. I get it, sound is important to some people but to call a design a mistake when it has superior numbers in every measurable category for performance but the sound doesn’t meet some personal bar is ridiculous.

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Specially because for the sound, a V8 is no match for a V12 - that's why I do not care for a hard trying NA vs a turbocharged V8.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 488 is growing on me for sure, but the exhaust note is really temperamental - at some RPM's (typically up above 4500 or so), the 488 can actually sound quite nice. I guess learning how to pin the RPM's while driving helps a lot. With the 458, it sounded beautiful from start to finish, at any RPM. With the 488, some areas are better than others.

I have all the parts needed to build a new exhaust, so I'll be starting on that project pretty soon here.

Most of the other things I didn't like about the 488 have broken in and seem okay now. Handling is improving and I'm about to lower the car 20 mm all around. I think that will help a lot. Also, the interior smell has started to fade away, which is a plus. I still think the 458 is a nicer overall car, but the 488 is nice from a different standpoint.

Still going to test drive an 812 this week :)

Ray

F430abdo and tekaefixe like this.
  11. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Deactivate the baffle and the 488 is sonorous at low RPMs.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Agreed, yes I toy with my rpm ranges w
    THATS EXACLTY WHAT I DID AND SHE OPENED RIGHT UP FOR ME. ONCE I FIRE THE CAR UP ITS GLORIOUS. MY NEIGHBORS MAY HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION,BUT HELL ITS A FERRARI THEY WILL GET OVER IT LOL. YES IT COST ME 170 BUCKS TO HAVE DEALERSHIP OPEN TEH EXHAUST BAFFLES WELL WORTH IT.

13. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I’ve driven and owned all three 430,458,then my 488 spider. ALL FELT DIFFERENT TOO DRIVE IN EVERY WAY.