ACL repair | FerrariChat

ACL repair

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by blackbolt22, Sep 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm going in Nov 1 for reconstructive surgery. How long should I expect to be off my feet? I'm thinking 7-10 days.

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    It depends, surgeons have different rehabilitation protocols and many are very strict with "their" protocol.

Here is some general information.

If it is a straight forward ACL reconstruction without meniscal repair you can weight bear immediately after surgery, with crutches. More than likely you will be donned with a long leg brace following surgery and may use a continuous passive motion (CPM) machine to increase range of motion. If you have a meniscus repaired, not a debridedment, weight bearing is not advised for a period of time, up to six weeks depending on age, type, location of meniscal repair, etc.. Without meniscal repair weight bearing usually starts with toe touch weight bearing and progresses as tolerated.

Generally, the two areas of rehabilitation focus immediately after ACL surgery is to decrease swelling and increase range of motion. Muscle strength will come back with time but is delayed if swelling persists as swelling inhibits muscle contraction. The last muscle to normalize strength is the vastus medialis oblique (VMO).

ACL surgery techniques have progressed significantly in the last 20 years. Most individuals are doing very well at 6-8 weeks post-op.

Listen to your MD and treating physical therapist and follow their instructions as there are activities you should not perform which may lead you back for a revision.

By the way were is the donor ACL coming from? Allograft, hamstring or patellar tendon?

Good luck.

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Thanks for your reply. Dr. will use allograft or hamstring for reconstruction. I told him to decide first-which will be most successful and second- fastest recovery.

I injured it playing tennis. I am an expert player and started at age 13. Your advice sounds basically teh same as the surgeon. I saw 2 surgeons and went with the second one mainly bc he seemed more aggressive in rehabilitation.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted here.

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My surgery to repair a torn ACL was delayed until Dec 20th. I'm doing quite well with normal activities. PT is tedious and I'm not doing my homework as often as I should. My ROM is -4 to 136 now but I have lost so much muscle mass. You can actually see the difference. The PT measured a 2" difference bt legs! I was shocked when I saw for myself in the mirror.

How long before others here have returned to activities like tennis or skiing? I am 7 weeks out now. I assume 6-8 months. I am dedicating myself to my therapy from now on. I hope to play tennis on clay courts in a few more months. Competitive tennis on hard courts is over. No running, just standing there to hit some balls.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Although not quite the same, I ruptured my distal bicep tendon rolling Jiu Jitsu. I'm pretty muscular, 17-18" bicep/ arm, and my repaired arm looked "like a pencil" (doc's words).

ROM was horrible until about month 5 of PT. By the end of PT (6 months) I had full ROM and cleared for full activity.

Just do what they tell you - including your homework. Before you know it, you'll be back on the court...

Good luck!

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    full range of motion is paramount... nothing less than 100% is acceptable...it is the first goal

the strength part will come when everything else is ready

been there, done it a few times, rehab is only as good as what one puts into it, made rehab the primary focus and was able to rehab ahead of the curve...

mantra for rehab... "if you're not cryin', you're not tryin' "

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm not sure that I agree that rehab should make one cry. However, taking it seriously and putting the hours in are certainly essential.

Also, to the OP's comment that his competitive tennis days on hard courts are over, I think you should know that many elite athletes recover fully from injuries such as this. There may be longer term consequences such as osteo-arthritis, but if you're deriving your livelihood from sports, then it may be a worthwhile risk.

I've had both done (ACL and tib plat frac). While I no longer run for exercise and I'm no longer a competitive athlete, the restrictions aren't terribly onerous. Pain, if any, is the only limiting factor according to my surgeon(s), but the longer-term issues have yet to manifest, if they ever will. I also take joint supplements (Cosimine, Chondroitin and Fish Oil), but the benefits aren't established. However, as my surgeon(s) say, "it may not help, but it won't hurt."

Good luck on your recovery. 6 months +/- and you'll be as good as new (barring any complications).

CW

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    +1 - I agree. For me, I can lift weights, do jiu jitsu, whatever as in the past. The big thing for me is that I'm 43 and tendon injuries increase with age. I was prepping for a highly competitive jiu jitsu competition when I got hurt...I now recognize that's probably not in my future, so I'll stick to learning the art (and staying healthy).

9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Thanks for the well wishes. I only play tournaments for fun. Rarely is cash presented for winning, placing at one of my tournaments. I do worry about the arthritis.

10. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Are you having a cadaver graft, hamstring tendon or patellar tendon used for your replacement?

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I used a cadaver (allograft) bc of faster recovery time and my age. I'm almost 50. I would have used my own tissue if I were 20 years or more younger. I have no cartilage behind my surgically repaired knee due to 35 years on the tennis court and racing motocross so a patellar tendon graft was out.

My leg strength is increasing weekly and I am seeing some muscle growth. Today makes 9 weeks from surgery. I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow for a follow up. Hopefully I can start jogging soon.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    At the time of my ACL (12/96), the patellar tendon graft was far more commonly used (although a cadaver graft was possible at that time). My surgeon opted for the patellar tendon, due to the fact that "sterilizing" the tissue does diminish its strength. That may have changed. Today, however, the procedure itself is far less invasive and that alone ought to accelerate your recovery time.

CW

13. roro

roro Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ro
    I got ACL surgery on Dec. 15, 2011. First 2-3 weeks suck!!

I was off of crutches around 3 weeks but with a limp and I was wearing braces.

As of today which is a little over two months, got most of my mobility and flexibility back ... now starting building the muscles back up. You definitely lose muscle tone being immobile for so long.

Glad I got it done though!

Good luck!!

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I played tennis today for the first time since surgery on Dec 20. No pain or problems. I didn't run a lot and played on clay but my knee is doing ok.

15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Good to hear your are recovering well.

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Thanks. I have played twice now and am using a brace , still taking it easy for a long time to come. I haven't had a 'gotcha' or 'uh-oh' moment.