ACTION MOVIES: Does any any ANY of this stuff really happen? | FerrariChat

ACTION MOVIES: Does any any ANY of this stuff really happen?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F1Ace, Jul 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Y'know, I gotta ask since I don't live in the States....does any of this "action movie" stuff ever happen for real? I mean...if there was ONE action movie you'd say "OK, they're making this up or exaggerating reality a bunch", but when they just keep coming and coming ya start to wonder...after 100 action movies with buildings blowing up, cars exploding, machine gun fights with police, and boat chases across the harbour....have ANY of these things ever happened in real life ONCE!?!?!

I mean, how far from reality have they gotten?

OR

Is TRUTH stranger than FICTION once again?

What's it like in your town?

Wes

2. shiznut123

shiznut123 Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    The North Hollywood bank shootout was the only shootout here that I remember to be so instense it could be in a movie. They had body-armor all over and had serious firepower. They even shot at the helicopters!

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I remember that and with the AK's as firepower. That is always on these home video shows or what not.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yesterday we had a 3 Hour low speed chase with a hijacked 18 wheeler being driven by a hostage with a gun in her side, driving on it's rims after having the tires shot out by the police. It was being followed by a caravan of squad cars that rivaled the final chase scene in the Blues Brothers, and a couple of Armored Personnel Carriers full of SWAT. All broadcast live via TV helicopters. Finally ended when the radiator and gas tank were shot out. It was pretty movie like.

Also no one was hurt, which caused me to lose a bet as we watched the events unfold.

5. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    All the time ... my buddy was just sent into space to blow up an asteroid and he told me about it after getting back, but you know it's all classified so the general public doesn't really know. And like two weeks ago I was accused of a crime i didn't commit and had to escape by jumping off a building, grabbing a telephone wire on the way down and swinging onto a moving train. Fortunately I was able to prove that it was some other guy - a mass murderer and government spy who turned out to be the guily one. I was shot five times however, towards the end of the saga, but the bullets missed all the important stuff so I should be fine. All in a day's work for being an american. lol.

The only action movie thing i ever saw was ... wait ... I've never seen anything that resembles an action movie. ahahahahaha

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Pretty far. Hollywood will get you killed.

Powder charge explosions are dry and occur at a velocity rate close to five miles per second, not the slow motion flames where the actor has time to jump out of the way just in time. Hollyweird likes to doctor up explosions with barrels of gasoline, so thats why, when the hero or villian tosses a grenade into a building, a big ball of flames come shooting out of the windows and doors for the big explosive effect that only look good for movie production.

Newton's third law is: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"

'The actor kicks down the door, the bad guy is in his sights, the actor points his .25 cal pistol at the bad guy and fires, the bad guy is blown over the couch and through the sliding glass door.' Ummm.. No. Again, Hollywierd likes to defy Newtons law by portraying firearms doing something that is not physically possible. If the bad guy is going to be blown back, then so must the good guy be blown back. That is Newtons law.

7. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Ever Live in South America?

You'll see some crazy $H!T down there!

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The imfamous Bank of America shootings happened about 5 miles from my old office (the two heavily armoured guys with the AK47's).
    One of my employees lived on the street they were walking down. One of them went into her yard as we were watching it on TV. She was on the phone with her husband who was in the house at the time!

I later found out that my father was in the supermarket across the street.

It was nuts!

9. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    True story,

Criminals stowed away on a “money plane” (used to transport large sums of $$ to remote locations) flying from Sao Paulo Brazil to Porto Alegre (BR).

They Incapacitated the crew, Jacked the plane, landed it in a farmers field in Cascavel, not far from where I was living. Once on the ground they had vans waiting to unload the cargo and they split with millions of dollars!! MILLIONS!! Authorities had no clue who did it and I have no idea if they ever caught em.

10. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    It happens EVERY DAY. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, since they're liars.

For instance, on the way to work today, 3 black cars pulled up behind me. I knew it was on immediatly and sped up to 170 in my SUV. We were bumping and grinding and smashing eachother into the guard rails, when I happened upon a beautiful sight. A large tanker truck carrying tons of gas. I sped off ahead of my assailants and threw my credit cards ninja-star-style at the wheels. The tanker fell on its side and slid across the pavement as the three cars ran into it, exploding everywhere.

When I got to work, a bunch of people I dont know thanked me and a little girl gave me a hug. Then I went inside, and some supermodel who must have been visiting took me in the coat closet for a good natured shag. This was followed by a promotion and much high fiving in the board room.

Just another day at the office.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Is this a confession!?

12. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    That shootout was insane...the cops felt outgunned so they had to run to a local gunshop to get some AR-15s and ammo. The gun shop owner passed 'em out and I guess they just sorted it out later. They DID make a TV movie about it. IIRC, the ending to the movie "Heat" was partially inspired by that shootout.

Most of the stuff in movies is just b.s., which is a shame, because there are some true stories that are pretty amazing that don't/won't get told.

13. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Wouldn't it be cool if "Dirty Harry" was a real cop in your own home town? And he would, like, kill everyone? And then he'd, like, get a new partner, and kill some more bad guys? That would be, like, cool!! I'd like to see a movie about something like that. You know, like a documentary about him.

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    OK, how many times have we heard this:

from the TV show 'One Adam-12':

'Look out Jim, she's gonna blow', and Officer Jim Reed (or Officer Pete Malloy) gets the lady out of the crashed car in the nick of time before it blows up.

Same with the show 'Emergency' with Gage and DeSoto........

The only 'true' movie I ever saw was 'Gumball Rally', with.... ME in it. (LOL)

15. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Harry Calahan was also fighting a corrupt system of law enforcement officers.

Serpico

16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Yeah, what you said.

I bet few have a clue how hard it is to point a handgun at something and actually hit it, from even 25 feet away. It's not that easy unless you practice it a lot.
    But to see folks point a Gloc 9mm at something 90 feet away and hit it is pretty hilarious to me.

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Commando is the pinnicle of realistic action films.

"But you promised!"

"I LIED!"

"Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I got that impression when I watched it. It looked very realistic in the disorderlyness of it all.

I think car chases, hostage takings, and gun fights are gonna happen, so that leaves us with exploding buildings....anyone ever seen or heard of that happening in your area?

I know that one guy blew up his townhouse because of a divorce as per my other thread, but how about some others?

Wes

19. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    The North Hollywood shootout is the other way around, they were inspired by the (kick ass) movie Heat. It took place two or three years after the movie came out.

Some movie stuff has happened I suppose. They exaggerate the explosions and people's ability to shoot pistols (exceptionally hard, especially when running down the hallway of a mansion being destroyed by a huge robot). Those two standout the most as above-reality.

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    LOL But it only happens here in America! Why, just the other day I saw a guy on horseback chase a man on a motorcycle into a hotel lobby. Get this--they both rode up to the roof in separate elevators! The dude on the motorcycle got away by jumping to ANOTHER roof top where, luckily, they had a swimming pool to soften the landing. Boy, I'll bet those party guests were surprised!

21. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Pfft, thats like a weekly occurance where I work.

You should ask me about the cyborg ninja attack of '94.

22. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    FWIW, I think the 'Clair' thread in the Canada section is about to blow up pretty good.

Get yer popcorn.

Neil

23. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Then a few days later one of the Florida Keys was blown up by a nuke! Crazy!!

24. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Some guy a few years ago stole a tank and was trying to evade the cops with it. I dont remember where it happened but I remember hearing about it in the news.
    In the movie "Collateral", Tom Cruise mentions a taxi driver that supposedly went crazy and killed a bunch of people, but the cops thought it wasnt a taxi driver just someone posing as one. That actually happened years ago.
    Anyone remember the DC snipers? That would be good movie material.

25. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Sandy Eggo, Kalifeloney.

Some dude high on something, stole a tank from the National Guard and took it around town smashing things. When he tried to crash a freeway barrier, the tank became stuck, where, the "Serve and Protect" guys hopped on the tank, opened the hatch and shot him.

If they guy wasn't high on something and actually had an agenda to accomplish with a tank..... who knows!