Actual 612 value | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Actual 612 value

Discussion in '612/599' started by Makuono, Apr 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Yes, I also think 10-20 below.

I wanted to buy the bianco Fuji pearl car, as it's quite special, but I think it was priced too high.

Who knows, in a few years it may all seem like a bargain!

Richard
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please forgive typos

2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Randy, I have to laugh to myself about your comments. I have a red 612 and a grey CL55! I too bought the 612 because it had depreciated so much. So now I swap out the 612 and the CL55 as my daily drivers. Both are great cars for very different reasons and a lot of fun. Although your wife thinks the 612 is understated, I have to say that my 612 gets a comment every time that I park it in the public. Not so for the CL55.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ron - Funny how that works my other cars are - 2 red Porsches, 1 anthracite Porsche and 1 pewter CL55. My wife doesn't care so much for red but she drives one of the red cars. I got the 612 to alternate with the CL. I really enjoy the 612 but am pretty picky when and where I drive it depending on traffic and parking at my destination.

I almost got a red '07 612 red with tan interior (1,000 miles), lots of options but it just didn't happen. I really liked the car but it had a salvage title - flood damage but the owner wanted too much for a salvage title car IMO. Your car isn't from New Jersey is it? That's where the red 07 612 I looked at was from.

4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    No mine is an 07 612 red with tan and diamond stitch red interior from Florida. It was a "high" mileage car with 14,000 miles on it when I got it. So I got a very good deal.

Sounds like we have MB, Porsches and Ferraris in common, as well as colors! However, just for a change up my wife just got a bright blue Macan GTS. So we have a very colorful garage.

By the way, did you ever see the 2005 Road and Track article on the 612, CL600, DB9 and Bentley GT? 2005 Aston Martin DB9 vs. Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1, M-B CL600 - Comparison Tests

For all intents and purposes we have the first 2. I am thinking about the Aston Martin as the next conquest.

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #80 MoeD, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    I had 928's as well, including the last iteration as the 928 GTS- which is everything the car should have been from the beginning

I can't tell you how much I've missed that car.

When 928 production ended- I flipped over to the 456, which I've since kept (because believe me I knew I'd regret selling it someday as I still regret selling my 928 GTS) and then went on to the 612 and then my current OTO (which I can't justify trading for that FF roofline). The OTO is just as right as right can be.

So WHY do we all do this??

Because we like our transaxle layout- front engine, rear transmission- 2 + 2's- That's why
    I don't think my driver has ever been anything but a front engine rear transmission 2+2- I lusted for Alfa GTV6's before I could drive and I started on Porsche 944's.

When 928 production ended, most of us valuing this layout had no where else to turn- Ferrari's were the logical choice

The truth is few cars had this transaxle layout and over time, but more have since embraced it over the last couple of decades. Transaxle layouts work on everything from Corvettes to Astons anymore because they work that well

Those of us here know what we like and the transaxle layout 2 + 2 is a car we can all find comfort and handling within and makes for a Great sports car with neutral handling as well as Grand Tourer. Front engine V12 Ferrari's will always be classic as well- So the two concepts marry very well together.

;)

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ron - Thanks for the article - good read. I pretty much agree with most all they said. Interestingly enough several years I looked at the VW Phaeton (W16) just too heavy and lot of $$$ for a VW. When shopping for my latest car last year, I looked at the Bentley GT also very heavy and I am just not old enough yet for that car. I looked at the 4 place Aston Martin Rapide S but not the DB9 (for more room) but I didn't connect with it for whatever reason. I also have concerns about the relatability of the AM, as I don’t think anyone up in North Ventura County works on AM cars I don’t believe there is a dealer in Westlake.

I have a '03 CL55 and really love it as DD (195,000 miles on the clock). Bullet proof until about 130,000 miles when I had to start replacing parts. But thought it might have been the "best value" car I have ever owned. I had a '95 S600 Coup DD as freeway cruiser (when I was traveling a lot which I liked but it was always in the shop, fortunately I had a 100,000 mile extended warrantee so cost was OK but real head ache to deal with so I didn’t want another 12 CL car. My MB service rep said the CL65 also had some service issues and didn’t recommend that car. Plus I didn’t like the lines of the newer MB. I don’t like “edge looking” cars, they look too dated a to period. Really love the lines of the old Lusso not the new FF Lusso version.

I always liked the 456 but didn’t really want to go backwards from the creature comforts of the CL55 and I really didn’t like looks of the newer FF even though it is likely a much better performing car than the gen 2 612 OTO. So from there I just looked at 612s. I mentioned the issue on the red ’07, just missed two 612 OTO cars by a day in one case and hours in another. But luck was in my favor I found a ’08 612 OTO with all the options and checked all my boxes and got at a great price as well. It is my first F car so it also filled a dream about owning a Ferrari. Always had P and MB cars since 1968 and enjoyed them for different reasons but now I think the 612 is special and am “living the dream”.
    It sounds like your car is pretty much what is was originally looking for but could not find. I like the diamond stitching on the tan but mine seats/trim are dark chocolate color and the Daytona’s look good with my interior with grey carpet and seat belts with carbon fiber trim.

I am thinking my next car may be the Porsche Mission E – the new electric car to come out in late 2019 or 2020. Pretty good range 300 miles, 80% recharge in 15 minutes, 4 doors (suicide type) w/no B pillar, and drop dead gorgeous. I am assuming the price will be competitive with the Tesla S? I am on the list to get on the list. The dealer is not yet taking deposits. I hardly ever buy new cars except for a few but I may for the Porsche electric car?

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    MoeD - I was at a PCA meeting this morning and one of my friends with an early 928 is looking for a late 928 GTS. Do you have thoughts? He does his own wrenching and has a limited budget but would like to upgrade if he can find any thing reasonable.

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Randy, I sent you an e mail direct. Let me know if you don't get it.

Ron

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ron - I some how lost the direct email please resend it. Thanks, Randy

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Randy I sent it again.

Ron

11. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Do you have any more info on what he's looking for specifically? (Auto or manual? Color? Mileage? Show car or driver?)

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Moe - He wants a manual, lower mileage car and not specific on color. He shows his current 928 but not sure if the GTS would be show or driver. More likely a weekend car as the takes his current 928 on PCA outings.

13. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    #88 AndrewJM, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Nice GTS's are extremely hard to come by, and fewer than 30% were manual. Only 406 were ever sold in North America from 1992-1995, so they are very rare (to put it into perspective, 639 or so 1989 930's were sold in the U.S. alone, and production was cut short that year). A decent manual would probably fetch around $80-90k, with the nice ones going for well over $100k.

Sorry to go off topic. 928's and 612's are very similar cars in more ways than one. Both have the engine in the front, trans in the rear, are GT cars, were controversial upon their release (928 still is, people seemed to have warmed up to the 612), and have innovative yet polarizing styling.

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Andrew - While I like the 928s I never owned one but did give it second thoughts several times. But currently I think the 612 either the early cars or the OTO cars are such a value and relatively reliable I could not resist for myself. My friend who is generally looking, did say the late edition 928 GTS was pretty dear and I think that kind of money is out of his current price range.
    The earlier 612 are very obtainable at $80k - $120k depending on miles, color and equipment much more current technology so equal a better value IMHO. I didn't mean to get off topic.

15. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Can't say that I disagree with you there. I would also have to agree that a 612 is a better "value" than a 928 GTS. GTS's have become pretty collectible over the past few years, so the values (which never got anywhere near as low as those of other 928's) have been steadily increasing. That said, earlier 928's (S4's, S's, etc.) are still really good bargains.

Given the rarity of 612's (rare even among Ferrari V12's) and their stylistic uniqueness, hopefully they will follow a similar value trajectory to the 928 GTS. Time will tell. The values of the early cars seem to have bottomed out, and the nice examples appear to be appreciating.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I just sold my 79' 928 this last week. Bought it for $5800 in 1997 and sold it for $2000. The GTS is very nice for a 928, but you can buy 1 of the 5 on eBay right now. The problem is they're not the quintessential porsche. The ultimate 928 for those who like the 928, but not the ultimate porsche. I don't see them going for more than $50-60k imho. They're also challenging to maintain. Complexity for the sake of complexity. Really nice cars for the time, but not THAT great compared to more modern cars. I don't see them appreciating much if any more personally...

I'd rather have the 612 personally if I had a choice, esp. a manual example. Sorry for thread derail...

17. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    1995 GTS went for $132K at auction a few months ago. About ten have sold for >$100K. Ultimate Porsche is subjective... would everyone conclude that the 930 is the ultimate Porsche? 959? Carrera GT? 918? 356? 904? 964 3.6? Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. Also, let's be honest... classic cars (Ferraris included) don't fetch high values because of their mindboggling performance... they fetch high values because people want them regardless of outdated technology, performance, and comfort.

18. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    How did we get from Ferrari 612s to porsches?

19. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Post #65

My bad. Back to 612's now. ✌️

20. Titanium

Titanium Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 24, 2015
    Hayward, CA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Alessi
    #95 Titanium, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my first post to FerrariChat - bear with the rookie! After reading SouthNC's post I wanted to share my experience last weekend with my 612 at the Alameda Concours d'Elegance. I was just exhibiting and so the Scaglietti was parked far from the great F cars being judged. I didn't expect any attention - boy was I WRONG! Wow! Lots of people amazed by the car, had never seen one, so beautiful, and shocked it was an '05. People coming back dragging their significant others. Tall guy commenting about the back seat (and admitting it was pretty roomy after I let him climb in!), Aston Martin owner commenting on how beautiful it was and a REAL back seat unlike his car, etc. And my car was featured on local TV in story about the event - mostly because the camera man loved it (and brought his girlfriend back afterwards to show her the car)! It was fun to share this rare car and see the great reactions to it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono likes this.
  21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you had great time at that event.

22. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Meanwhile the collapsing price of oil is creating some nice opportunities out here in Crazyville.

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti ( Red / 2007 ) For Sale @ www.QatarSale.com

I had looked at this car earlier last year before I bought my Argento Nurburgring - I just couldn't pull the trigger on red - but the asking price has come down a lot. I have seen it at the official Ferrari Service Centre in Doha and its a v nice car.

I spoke to the dealer today as I know him quite well and car is on SOR and will take QAR 160k which in real money is approx. 30,000- GBP Sterling or US$ 44K. A very nice car for a v good price. Hmmmmm a second 612........

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Load 'em up and send 'em over. Well maybe not that one. :D At that kind of price, there's got to be a market to import and convert to US spec? Guess not or it would be happening, eh?

24. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    "New 2009 612 European engine, produces 50 hp more than American version"

Not mine, no affiliation, etc....

2007 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
    VIN ZFFJB54AX70157304
    $199,500

MANUAL 6 SPEED GATED TRANSMISSION!!! This black beauty with black leather red stitched seats has only 17, 000 miles. Car is loaded with upgraded options. Features include, power seats, carbon ceramic brake system, carbon fiber exterior sill kick, carbon fiber interior trim, HGTE package, cruise control, silver dedication plate, blue tooth interface, Scuderia Ferrari shields, front and rear parking sensors, yellow rev counter, diamond pattern headliner, leather parcel shelf, navigation, red contrast Stitching, custom 2 piece aluminum and stainless wide set wheels, yellow brake calipers, etc. No sticky interior and no dash tears or shrinking. It always starts, fluids perfect and all temperatures are normal. The body is perfect as is the paint. No nicks, dents, ripples or smudges. No accidents. Interior is perfect. No wear on the seats or carpets. Transmission shifts smoothly and effortlessly. Engine purrs just like the V/12s are supposed to sound. Factory car cover included. It has a salvage title as it was declared so in the Hurricane Sandy debacle. New 2009 612 European engine, produces 50 hp more than American version. Work done at BH Ferrari. Runs perfectly.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2017&zip=32746&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&mmt=[FER[612SCAGLIE[]][]]&modelCode1=612SCAGLIE&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FER&showcaseOwnerId=68007103&firstRecord=0&numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&listingId=410713770&Log=0

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The European version does not produce 50 hp more than the US version. No difference in Ferrari's claims for hp on either. Only differences in ratings have been the differences between PS and HP (DIN PS x 0.986 = SAE HP).