Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by jumpinjohn, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I too am getting tired of the negativity. We need to accept this car for what it is and stop trying to constantly compare it to cars that it’s not.

Look, I tend to agree with day365’s opinions. I don’t like big heavy hybrids with unlimited power. I don’t like the direction Ferrari is going and I care about sound (probably way too much). As I have made clear in the past, I hate filters and regulations. I wish Ferrari would recognize that many customers are old fashioned and prefer lightweight cars with less powerful, NA engines. But unfortunately, it isn’t really up to them anymore. This is a car born out of requirement and not desire.

Once you wrap your head around this reality, I think the SF90 becomes an extremely desirable car. This package is absolutely insane at this price point. I find the car extremely attractive. To my eyes, it looks exactly how a $500k regular production Ferrari should look. If this is comparable to a modern day Testarossa, I think they nailed it. I may not get to drive one for a while, but I’m sure it’ll be an utterly insane experience. For what it’s worth, I think they did a fantastic job given the job description.

red passion, x z8, stavura and 10 others like this.
  2. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Spot on. We would all love a 1000 kg manual gearbox v12. But that doesn’t make the SF90 a bad car. Based on my short drive the car is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    I appreciate your passion and you have the right to express your opinion but it’s frustrating when I get notifications that new replies have been posted in a thread I am really looking forward to read in order to gather some more knowledge and insight and in stead you get bombarded with one man’s negative opinions, with similar opinions spread over almost every single thread relating to the SF90, it is tedious and off putting.

To be frank, in my opinion, this is quite juvenile considering that, I hope, we are sharing views amongst adults here, with so much negativity around the world at the moment do we really need to be exposed to some more while pursuing our hobbies in a community which should enable you to escape?

I’ve ordered the car because I like the running gear combination, not a huge fan of the design but in the right combo it looks very good, the Spyder fixed most of the things I didn’t like aesthetically about the coupe and I switched the order, now I am excited to receive it and see what this new car is all about.

I am also looking forward to reading owner’s hands on experiences and seeing their specs, exciting times ahead.

I will derail this thread no longer, you do you but as you shared your views I wanted to share mine, it’s fair to assume that everyone here by now knows how you feel about it and I’d like to spare you the effort of you trying to further reinforce your point of view, now back to topic at hand.

_CoA, KnowFocus312, tomc and 7 others like this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You knew already 100% you wouldn’t like it so why did you even wasted your time trying it? Admitting that actually happened and it’s not just a way to bash the car in another thread?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok we can all let it go that Day355 posted he dislikes the car. Let’s stop engaging that discussion and keep on track! (So to speak).

Anyone else have actual drive time?

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am guessing sometime 2021 late (November/December).. thats just a guess. I would like it for the spring of 2022 :)

Thecadster, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You bash a certain brand’s cars consistently in threads adding now value. Are there not many mirrors at your home?

C.W likes this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This thread really should be kept to actual driving impressions. Hopefully as owners get the cars they share.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #34 Igor Ound, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Tried to be a Jo Sta for a day to see how it feels. Pretty nasty is the answer, you keep it
    How about following your own advice then? Why are you here? Obviously nothing to do with the SF90. Good bye

Back to topic..

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #35 day355, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    To form a clear opinion, as always.
    Car with the Fiorano package, it is not difficult here in Monte Carlo.
    I wish you the maximum of pleasure with your future SF 90, honestly.

of2worlds and Igor Ound like this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    At least you’ve got to agree you were wrong about it being slow on a track to start with

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh forget it!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who's nobody? You and your friends? I see plenty of interest. Quite sure you don't represent everyone and how can you say there's no interest? Not sure what knowledge you have that backs that up. I see articles about it, it is being reviewed, people buy it etc. No interest? For a low volume car that carries the price tag of two F8's, you cannot expect the same lever of public interest as the car is out of reach for a lot more people.

People also like the La Ferrari Aperta and it's a coveted car, but it would be a stretch to say the general interest is huge. But then again, I'm sure you think that's pointless and a flop too...

Sorry for the derailment, back on track.

Anybody else with experience?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Igor Ound likes this.
  14. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a brief drive at the track yesterday in Sydney. It’s fast, feels smoother than a Pista. Sounds nice in the cabin but quiet on the drive-by. Easy car to short-shift in as it has so much midrange push. It feels more RWD than AWD. I liked it more than I expected to. I’m a 918 owner too...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Subjective question: did the car seem as fast as your 918?

16. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes

Igor Ound and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks
    Impressive achievement I would say for Ferrari considering the price.

Ryan13, tfazio and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I agree with that. It does feel hypercar fast, I think it is definitely a match in a straight line for the LaF/918/P1 pack...In my opinion though it is less exciting than the LaF. It is difficult to match that V12 top end and the razor sharp responses, although I am sure that an average driver on an average road would be faster in the SF90 due to superior grip and impressive mid-range.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and 9nb like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How did the weight of the car feel compared to the Pista and 918? Was the car you drove an AF car?

20. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It was a standard car, not AF. The car felt light like a Pista, and lighter than the 918 which is heavier in the steering, giving that car a greater heft. The steering felt typical Ferrari - quick, light and not overloaded with feel. The integration of the electric boost with the engine was seamless and the car feels so smooth. Maybe too civilised for some but I guess the AF will have a harder feel. I want the front lift and I'm happy with the extra refinement so I probably won't go AF. Here are a few other random remarks before I forget how it felt.
    - The electric seats on the test car were comfortable and at least moderately supportive
    - the electric motors are surprisingly noisy on their own and the car seems to make a noise at "idle" in E mode. (I might have this wrong as I'm not sure where the noise was coming from)
    - the new screens and controls were way too complicated to master in the time we each had in the car.
    - the electric power boost is like a giant hand pushing you along. (like the 918)
    - I didn't notice the brakes beyond the fact that they worked fine. Some of the other guys commented on slightly strange pedal feel but I was too worried about keeping the car upright to notice
    - the trunk is tiny but you already know that.

I'll lock in the spec in the next couple of weeks I hope. That probably says more than the above ramblings. :)

VAF84, Igor Ound, stavura and 7 others like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Great stuff:)
    If you were to rate the cars suspension compliance from 488 to Pista, where does it fit in?

22. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Il Co-Pilota, give me 10 minutes on a road I know and I could answer that question but I'm afraid on this very smooth track, I just couldn't tell you.

jpalmito and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No worries, just curious:)
    I ordered mine standard as well. I won't be tracking it a lot, but enjoy backroad runs and road trips very much, so for me the choice was easy. I was told from someone else that in RACE the car would feel close to a Pista and settle down to more of a 488 feel in bumpy road, so a pretty wide gap. This I think is a very good thing.:)

jpalmito and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Funnily enough, I was just reading F1 star George Russel explaining that a good racing car should be smooth:

"Asked on Channel 4 what it was like to drive the Mercedes, Russell said: “It’s a work of art, honestly, everything about it.

“It’s so smooth, so nice over the bumps, so much downforce, so much grip.

“And I feel in control of it. A lot of cars, when they’re not perfectly balanced the car is controlling you, and you’re reacting to the car.

“But as the driver in that Mercedes I’m controlling it, and that’s just such a joy."

'You almost want Bono to read you a bedtime story' | Planet F1

25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks for all these details !
    Full red ? ( your future config)

of2worlds likes this.