Adding Additional Gauges - Recommendations | FerrariChat

Adding Additional Gauges - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Hello,

I have an 82 Mondial 8, stock. I want to add some gauges in a nice tactful way and keep the stock look (no flourescent blue gauges etc...)

I was thinking of below the air/vent unit (just in front of the shift lever and above where I know have a fire extinguisher).

The gauges I was thinking of adding are (all 52mm when possible):

1. wideband air-fuel ratio for each bank (so either two gauges or a dual unit)
    2. fuel pressure (its always a pain) with electric sender (do not want to run a fuel line to the console)
    3. small speedometer (mine goes to 85 and instead of replacing it, I thought could add a GPS or another speedometer and thus keep it more stock; would need because planning on periodic track days)
    4. maybe boost/vacuum eventually (thinking about supercharging, but that's later and a different story)

Has anybody found gauges that are similar to the original stock look?

I like Autometer and their Sport Comp2 has a nice analog AF mixture. I see InnovateMotorsports has a dual lambda/AFR but its digital. Autometer also has an electric fuel pressure sender, and gauge, and a GPS speedometer (which is 3 3/8 inches though, so bigger).

Any suggestions for a casing to put these about 5 gauges?

Also, Autometer has a "custom shop" but I think you cannot give a custom font, which I would want to, in order to match the stock look.

All the above can come out pricey...any cost reduction ideas?

Any experience?

paulchua likes this.
  2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I am working on a custom but factory looking lcd clock with sensor read outs since my factory clock is bust. Totally reversible and swappable. Msg me if interested.

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Daniel,

I have a Q.V. and a couple of t centre consoles in store age for a very similar rainy day project!

I think you could make a housing that say between the 8 console and the dash. This could be glass or CF (or ply) with a leather/ fabric finish to match the console or dash.

It could probably be held in place without significant modification to your console with brackets from behind the lower dash. And perhaps some small pieces of vessel just to keep the base section in place.

If you have an iPad, I’d recommend the ‘Paper’ app by 53 for mocking up; or OneNote by MS if your on PC.

One caution.... your speedo. I’d get that fixed. Your new centre console area is no place to be looking when (starting) tracking. You might consider a small HUD - I’d recommend a removable binnacle cover anyway as the reflection off that can be a PITA anyway and a HUD could perhaps sit on that so it would be removable off track (assuming you don’t go over 85 on the streey).

I think a challenge will be finding some of the gauges you want in a period (70/80s) style. I was/am looking at boost, bolts/amps and a way of moving some of the bonnet and release buttons, so that I can redesign a custom binnacle. For the extra couple of gauges, I was looking at BMW, Lancias and Alfa’s, of Ferrari’s of the period. I don’t know if any of those a would help you.

Depending on how your skills are, don’t discount students’ doing design projects at school/college. You may find some willing help and great ideas & skills in your local community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  4. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    AEM wide band Air/fuel ratio gage,,, analog readout.

Find a little Ferrari sticker,,, or make one from a magazine cut out and spray elmers poster glue on the back....
    Stick over AEM logo,,,, Valla,,, a Ferrari gage

paulchua and StuR like this.
  5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    StuR,,,
    Ill post a photo.
    soon.

Eduardo

paulchua likes this.
  6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Thanks Eduardo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  7. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  8. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Not stock like but interesting....where did you get? a kit? fully custom?

more details please!