News

Adding LED steering wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Allen F, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Hi there,

I purchased a 458 withOUT the LED steering wheel. I called my local dealer to verify if a wheel could be replaced (upgraded) to LED, I was told "no problem you'll just need a software flash after the new wheel is installed". Ok, cool - I thought! I purchased a new old-stock factory wheel (not cheap, lol) and the dealer just clarified that the software file costs $2,500 just for the file download from Ferrari plus an hour labor.

So, now is the question ... are there any other sources to get the software I need to make an LED steering wheel work?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Wasn't there a thread about someone doing this in the 458 section ? It could have been they were ok with the software cost but I can't recall the details

4. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    Ferrari can charge whatever they feel necessary for the updated file, its definitely not cheap but about 2000-2500 sounds right for one that I have done before. If you buy the wheel through the dealer they can program it for free, there are also some aftermarket shops that specialize in Ferrari that can install the new PROXI file for $500 or so. Might do better calling around to smaller service centers to see if they have the ability to do it for you.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have a newer Ferrari that needs to connect to the server in Italy for updates, but given that you do, you should probably just pay the $2,500 and call it a day. The last thing I would want is some bootlegged one bricking my car.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    There are no other options. I have had this discussion with a client already and he had to pay the dealer for the proxi file update and an hour to install it. That is just t he way it is with the newer cars now.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ADINEEN

ADINEEN Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Sell your car and buy one of the 96% that have the LED steering wheel