Adjusting steering wheel position/column? | FerrariChat

Adjusting steering wheel position/column?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JAnastas, Nov 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Might be an obvious question, but I had my car in for work w/ a new shop and upon its return the wheel seemed A LOT closer to the dash cover. So close I can barely fit by hand between the wheel and the top of the dash cover. Was not this way before. Is there an easy adjustment I can do to return it to prior position? Seems to look like the column adjusts on a piston of sorts and a bend/angle/joint in the column under the dash. Help please?

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wish I could help but I don't know the answer. When you find out something please let us know.

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    On my 1980 400i Ser. 1, there is a long transverse bolt and nut under the steering column that I can loosened, to drop or raise the steering column by an inch or two max. I know that it doesn't sound like much, but every little bit helps.. I/m betting the the person that worked on the car, just forced it up out of his way. Ask me how I know. Makes you what to take a crow bar to the back of his neck. I hope this is of some help. Jq.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  6. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
  7. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, fixed. Held off on crow bar.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well done! A lot of F wind up with the steering wheel adjusted into the full up tilt position just to get more legroom clearance underneath. When I got my own TR, the front edge of the instrument binnacle had so many ring nicks in it that I had to replace it. I'll second Kurt's recommendation to install a steering wheel spacer (unless you are maybe 5'6" in height or less) which will also give more legroom clearance underneath. Since I'm 6'4", I also did the second change to go to a smaller diameter steering wheel.

9. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    So this procedure also applies to the TR?

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It does on the Boxer, so probably on the TR as well (haven't been under a TR dash to know).

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The way the mechanism generally works is the same on the TR, but they made it even easier -- nut 39 has been eliminated on the telescopic spline shaft, and there is a chrome handle underneath the bottom steering wheel column cover that tightens/loosens the nut 34 for the bolt in the slot -- pull the chrome handle down, adjust tilt, push chrome handle back up.

12. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ah, not been under there yet! Dash has to come out at some point, so Im sure I'll find it then. Thanks Steve

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    BTW, Jacques (and not to highjack the thread), I've been chasing up key/lock problems and came across an old post of yours where you mention cheaper, better made window motors - care to expand? (PM if you like)

I did the same on the 308 - dropped the wheel to it's lowest, put in a flat bottomed, smaller wheel, and added a spacer. The seat drops away, so the further out the wheel is, the more room. I also added a faster rack and power steering, but that's a different story.

14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Give me a week or so to check the replacement window motor source and I'll try to find it in the two three- ring binders that I have compiled on various "stuff". Jq.

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ta