Adventures in Stereo Removal | FerrariChat

Adventures in Stereo Removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, Jan 12, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    My 1975 Dino 308 GT4 still has the original stereo that was installed by the dealer when it was new; Blaupunkt Bamberg US. This is a dictaphone that consists of two pieces (or so I thought).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The original owner was a doctor and he wanted to be able to record notes to cassette tapes while in his car.

The radio works but when I wanted to test the cassette player/recorder, I found that a cassette tape simply won't stay in. There's a place local to me that repairs vintage car stereos, so I was going to remove the stereo and take it up there to have them fix it. Easy, right?

Being an old stereo, there's no keys to pop it out (like modern cars), so I popped off the two knobs, removed the nuts, and pulled the stereo out. That went fairly easy, but this is when I discovered there was a bit of a complication.

Upon removal of the head unit, I discovered a black cable and gray cable that didn't seem to have any point to disconnect them. In this picture, the large black cable on the left, and the large gray cable on the right:

As I followed those cables, I discovered they go up the center console headed towards the dash. No way to disconnect them directly from the stereo head unit, or within the center console.

I looked behind dash-mounted piece that holds the microphone and saw a thick black cable headed into the back. That disconnects easily, so that means I just have to pull that through the console tunnel. But the gray cable was nowhere to be seen in that area.

This is when I did a little research on this stereo (and there's not much on it out there). What I can tell from what I did find is there's actually three parts to this, not two! This is a pic I found on the internet showing the head unit, the microphone/preset unit, and a third unit designed not be visible:

I went back and discovered I needed to remove the carpet and then I was able to see where the gray cable went. It goes through the center console, and behind the little wall to which the carpet snaps (you can see it in the gap on the left):

Okay, so I tried to remove the wall. There's 5 screws holding it in place, one of them (of course) was completely stripped (top-right in the picture above). Now I have to deal with that.

This has been way more complicated than it should have been! Back in my youth, I used to install car stereos in my cars all the time, but I've never run across something like this before. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be!

On a side note, once I get that screw out, it'll need to be replaced. I looked in the TAV, but these screws aren't shown, or, I'm looking in the wrong place. Here's where I'm looking and what I'm seeing:

If anyone knows the proper screws for this and where I can find them, I would really appreciate the help. I'm sure I can run to Ace or Home Depot, but I do like to get original parts when possible (even if they're parts that are never seen).

miketuason likes this.
  2. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I changed the radio in my gt4 and had to remove the complete centre console panel. Fortunately I was already removing it to chase down a short that had been introduced when the interior was retrimmed.

Sorry no idea on the screws, but they are sure to be metric. The sheet you show is titled Tappeti which means carpets, so it wouldn't be on there anyway.

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Get rid of that crap and spend some money on a real audio system , I have a killer set up in my 328 .

powered Sub woofer behind pass seat, late model pioneer head unit, Focal speakers in the doors 6.5" / 4.0" with xovers, Focal tweets in the dash. I have a top of the line 4 channel amp at 75 watts per. I forgot the name.

Big G

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    So you have four original screws and you are just trying to find one to match?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    item #20 table 121, P-nr 20148201

6. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I thought the screws would be in the carpet section, since that's where the screws are located—they hold part 18 in the diagram in place (turns out, part 18 is not what I thought it was as I found out later and as morcal pointed out later down).

The engine/exhaust is enough of a stereo system for me. This is a very, very original car and I'm not going to pollute it with something modern! I don't listen to the stereo anyway, and this is the original stereo that came with the car and was an important feature for the original owner (who recently passed). It's part of the car's story and history, thus it will get repaired. ;)

I actually want to replace them all as all of them are pretty soft. The good news is these screws aren't seen, they're completely covered by carpet. So as long as they fit, they don't have to be original… I just prefer original due to the condition of the car.

Thank you! I actually did discover the next day, but I really appreciate the validation as the diagram isn't exactly the same as it is in the car (screw holes are shown in different places on the diagram than where they are on the actual part).

Pero likes this.