Adventures of a 95 Verde Mugello GT | FerrariChat

Adventures of a 95 Verde Mugello GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Aerosurfer, Jan 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks everyone for the support while i arranged purchase of my first car on my sanity check thread

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/sanity-check-prior-to-first-purchase.653713/#post-148321320

Now that its here and registered, and because its winter in Indiana... i have absolutely no where to go!

Hoping the enjoyment of the purchase lasts beyond the first few days, i finally got it on my lift to assess what im dealing with going forward. Found some good and some things i will need to deal with.

First the good... the best thing clearly is someone had already added a Capristo straight pipe in place of the center resonator! Car does sound great.

The rest of the undercarraige was generally good without any missing parts. I absolutely love the car on the lift... I get to pet the horse everytime I come and go into the house.

Follow up woth whats needed to come
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus, Auraraptor, mmurray and 7 others like this.
  2. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Now some of the things i found that will need attention.

Both inner CV boots are torn up. Still seem to have plenty of grease and not contaminated, but also made a mess of the area. Havent been able to find any tutorials or videos on repairing these. Looks like i need to disconnect the outter lower control arm (among other things) to get the axel out. Anyone have any experience with these? I suppose it wishfull thinking hoping i can R&R the inner joint and boot while keeping the exel in place and doing it all simply separated from the transaxle?

Dare i say it, but is any split boot suitable for an extended temporary solution? That leads me to my next issue...

Inner lower control arm bushings are getting cracked and rotted. Can assume the fronts are toast as well as sway bar bushings. Looking thru Ricambiamerica.com site Im still learning the strategy for finding parts and suitable alternatives..

My rear lower spoiler is cracked at the trailing edge and has a little damage on the lower leading edge. Any technique to repair these?

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2200752 View attachment 1839236 View attachment 3035389

3. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    How are these exhaust sensors supposed to be routed? Cant believe the just hang out here all willy nilly. Any way to clean this up?

As ypu can see some of the fibeglass insulation is coming apart around the Cats too.. any replacements available or need to worry?

Moving forward both front brake duct tubing have tears where they make the bend from the front towards the brakes. It seems like replacing these with aircraft grade tubing would be most ideal. Anyone know the size and length of the tubing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

4. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    How are these exhaust sensors supposed to be routed? Cant believe the just hang out here all willy nilly. Any way to clean this up?

As ypu can see some of the fibeglass insulation is coming apart around the Cats too.. any replacements available or need to worry?

Moving forward both front brake duct tubing have tears where they make the bend from the front towards the brakes. It seems like replacing these with aircraft grade tubing would be most ideal. Anyone know the size and length of the tubing.

5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    So clearly the pictures and posts dont line up exactly, ill ha e to leard how to embed pictures within the text.

Anyhow overall its very dry underneath. Car has definitely taken some scrapes and shots over its life and needs a good undercarraige cleaning to uncover any other problems. Right now im trying to determine where to source parts from and what i need for suspension work. I will assume sway bar bushings and links may as well be replaced too. Are there any kits out there or preferred vendors... at the bushings specific to our cars or is there an acceptable general part that works.

Attached Files:

6. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
  7. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Congrats man. Where in IN? I’m just outside south bend and picked up a 95 gt in November. We should meet up.

8. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #8 franschman, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    I did all of that (and much more) on my '94 GT. Straightforward wrenching.
    I replaced all suspension bushings with a set from Superformance (https://www.superformance.co.uk/v12m/suspension_456.html). While at it you might consider replacing engine and gearbox mounts.
    Air hoses, 3 1/4" and 2 1/2", from https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone-hose-air-ducting-performance-automotive-black-blue-red.html
    The spoiler can be removed and glued/sanded/painted on the bench.

You will find that this car is easy to work on, it's just that all jobs take many steps, and hence hours. It's not possible to do any job quickly.
    Enjoy!!

Raymond Sachs likes this.
  9. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I am on the southeast side of Indianapolis. Would love to meet up, have already been contacted by a few other locals. Seems like a small but great community within the state so far.

10. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Cool. My audio guy is in Indy and I end up there a cpl times a yr. I’ll hit u up next time I’m down.
    I have a e46 vert as well. Great minds think a like.

11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Moving on with work today... fixed a tail light bulb.

Front fog light assemblies are in not so good shape... looks like water has definately gotten into them before. Do i have any options or leads on a new set? Or is there an alternative in the other parts thread? Glass is good, but need to get inside.

Also chasing down why my highbeams don't work. Both headlight and flashers are not functioning. Have not had a chance to open the fuse box yet and mess with relays or fuses? Enjoy the carnage..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    What a beautiful color pairing. Congrats - I think you were in the ballpark on price for such a seldom-seen and gorgeous color. If you do not mind, where the heck did you find this? I've been keeping an eye on a number of places for 456's that come on the market, and I definitely do not remember anything green. Very jealous, but am also super excited to see an enthusiast who plans to fix and drive theirs!

EnzoItaly likes this.
  13. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thank you for the encouragement! The green continue to grows on me! It does look amazing.

I do plan to continue to get my hands dirty on this car sorting it through...

14. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Moving on....

My shifter spacer was long ago crumbles to bits and left to rot in the bowels of the center console.. instead of cleaning anything up it looks like it was just left to crumble and all pushed down below. Got out the shop vac and dug all the bits out, cleaned and scraped all the old dirt and grease out of the pivot of the shifter too. A generous spray of silicon grease down there too.

Then I had a friend 3D print a new spacer and can say it came out fantastic! Replaced a plethora of washers being used as spacers through each screw hole, however it still seemed like the shifter was dragging along the underside of the gated shift plate. All that is gone. Seems to sit level with the console and i now have a few MM of clearance under the shift plate, but still have to push down to engage reverse.

Attached Files:

Qavion and Il Tifoso like this.
  15. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I found this one in south Florida...showed up on ebay in Dec, but was thru a small dealer/flipper down there.

16. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks! Ebay is just about the only spot I don’t regularly monitor (don’t want to go through a PPI just for them to pull the auction for someone else’s offer), but I missed out on a different model I’ve been considering there too. Might have to reconsider.

17. AWK166

AWK166 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrew King
    Wow, congrats on the purchase, I also have a 95GT Verde Muggello

clauber likes this.
  18. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

Attached Files:

19. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I use a plain picture frame type available at any parts house.
    I placed a thin rubber pad between the plate and the boot lid to stop any vibrations.
    Never any issues.

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a rear license plate bracket for the 575M, you might check and see if there is one for the 456/456M. Part number 64839300 for the 575M

21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I saw that car came up and am glad it landed in a proper caretakers hands !

22. clauber

clauber Rookie

Nov 22, 2017
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Clauber Curvacho
    Congrats on your 456GT purchase! We share a few things in common, I'm in Florida, own a 95 456GT Mugello and I think we're on the same FB group. SOme friends thougth you bough mine :)))
    Pay some attention to the fuel pumps. They fail, sooner or later.
    And as somebody said above, this car is not hard to work with, it just needs patience.
    I'm pretty sure you're going to love it!

23. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

I have been reading all about the eventual fuel pump issues. I just watched the CarWizard YT video on the 550 Fuel pump R&R with the Kia part number. It really does seem easy enough.
    Going to order and swap Fuel filters and inspect for black bits and go from there. On the Fuel diagram, it shows washers around the fuel fitting and banjo bolt. Are these copper crush and is the banjo bolt recommended to be replaced with filters?

24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    FYI, you can purchase plastic/poly versions of those fuel-pump holders from Fabio instead of using the dissolving kind. (I did and they fit and work great).

25. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @clauber I am in Florida as well.. Jacksonville... we should all get together!