Advice on F12 | FerrariChat

Advice on F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MDEL, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm close to buying a F12 from 2014 with a combo that I like very much and which is rare due to the fact that is equipped with almost every possible option ($92K). The final price is approximately 23% down the $ 375 K which was the cost of the car new in 2014.

I wonder if I'm doing the right thing buying now for this high price or if I should wait some more months hoping that because o the F12M launching prices of the F12 will drop substantially. I would appreciate your opinions.

2. Cincy2

Cincy2 Karting

Feb 11, 2015
    Tampa FL
    The question to ask yourself is how bad do you want an F12? If you need to have one, find one at a price you can live with and make the purchase. Any number of things can happen in the future to the value of an F12, the car market in general or to you yourself. You can always find a reason to wait. Meanwhile all of us are enjoying the F12 experience. Your call.

Cincy

3. dpchamp87

dpchamp87 Rookie

Jul 3, 2014
    2 months ago I was in exactly the position you are now. I had sold my 599 and my intention was to wait a couple of years until presumably F12 prices dropped but the exact spec F12 I would look to buy came up and it is now in my garage. No regrets at all; they are truly wonderful cars. Just keep it 15 years and the price will be what you pay now!

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Cincy2 and dpchamp87 thank you very much for your advice which is invaluable coming from two F12 owners. Right now I have an aspirated California and on the beginning of last year when I went to buy her at a very important Ferrari dealer in Germany close by there was a F12 which really called my attention. I was very tempted to buy her instead of the Cali but my racional kept telling me that a car with that much power 740 hp, despite of the fact of how much I liked it, could only be basically a racing machine and never a civilized Ferrari. I ended up buying the Cali which I've been enjoying very much but the idea of the F12 was always in the back of my mind and regularly I looked at the cars available in Europe always waiting for an ideal combo to pop up one day. That day happened recently and I'm absolutely convinced that if I don't buy this one I really like I might loose the will to buy another one in the future which doesn't correspond to what I've idealized.

I've read the majority of the tests on the F12 made by the most prestigious car magazines in the world but the opinion of both of you as owners is for me much more valuable than any magazine evaluation. If you could share with me some of your experience as a F12 owner I would appreciate very much.

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    price is ok, should be closer to 30% off as middle of 2017 arrives

just look at 599 prices to see where you will be by year

6. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I bought my 2013 F12 in May of 2015. Base was 315,888.00 and MSRP was 427,854.00 so 112,000.00 in options. In addition it had a Capristo exhaust & Novitec X-Pipe. I paid 400,000.00 which I thought was high. Like the one you are looking at, it also was the color and had every option I would have ordered plus a few more. I've never looked back. In addition it was in my garage in a few days as opposed to a year if I ordered. Had 2,200 miles when I purchased.

srslusso likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    All I can tell you is the car is pretty civilized. There are a few members, such as Roma1280, who use their F12s nearly every day! I think the car is definitely happiest when you are on it, but you can drive it in a relaxed manner and it works. It will drink fuel and it isn't as cutting edge in the in car electronics as many of the daily driver type cars typically from Germany- BUT- its a lot closer to those cars than Ferraris from the past. I suspect you know this from your California. The F12 makes a lot of torque, but its really the power that gets you and that comes on a little higher in the rev range, so its not too hard to drive it carefully and not on all the power. I hope you won't write this off as hyperbolie but the F12 is simply the best modern street sports car I've ever owned. It makes everything else feel like toys.

Of course the F12M will be shown soon and probably is on the market by the end of the year. And very likely it will be an even better car. Even so and knowing this, I bought a new F12 last year. No regrets here.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    MDEL - Don't know what to tell you about your own will to buy a 740hp car. If you read and viewed all the material on the F12 then you know its Jeckle and Hyde personality and superiority as the worlds best production extreme GT car. I think what Cincy 2 wrote above about depreciation is spot on. I would add that I have over $450K into my 2013 F12 and its the best money I ever spent. These are investments in joy and not economics. Many other F12 owners have similar feelings.

How you measure happiness versus money is only known to you. How long you are willing to wait is also up to you. When I was looking to buy, someone on FChat said the exact car for you will come to you instead of you going to it. I saw mine and paid the cash the next day. Signed the contract before even driving it as I had seen the videos and read the reviews by the media and owners as you did. Only regret is that I for sure waited too long to buy. I would add that an LDM era build and also a PF model was important to me. Good luck.

9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Recently did 4000kms across Europe in my F12 with my wife. She is NOT a car person and does not like speed much and even she was quite happy in the car. It has sufficient luggage space for at least 3 weeks away and the car "shrinks" around you.

We did Como to Bellagio on very narrow twisty roads and the car was perfect. We went through most large and small Italian cities and no problems at all. I also did 1000kms in one day (Frankfurt to Florence) and again very comfortable and no back pain or any issues. Went in a friends F12 up Stelvio Pass chasing a 918 and we kept up (he is a great driver though) :)

A perfect car IMO

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for the information……………...

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Duffy I fully agree with you about not looking back when the car we find the car we like and probably that's what I'm going to do. Thank you for sharing your experience.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for sharing your view and experience with me. If I buy this particular one I have in mind I'm certain will be keeping her for a long time and one of the things that increases my enthusiasm is thinking that the F12 might represent in some years the ex-libris of the end of an era and the last truth V12 without hybrid technology.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for your reflexion and I think your view is the right one. A car like this should be above all a source of happiness and pleasure and if we have one in mind that makes us chicken skin and we can afford it we shouldn't look back.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jon 4000 kms across Europe that must have been an extraordinary experience and definitely is the best F12 test drive I heard of. My wife is not a car person either and knowing that your wife was quite happy in the car really increases my hope and enthusiasm. Looking at your experience with the F12 and your last words "perfect car" if I still had any doubts they've gone.

15. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    Could do much worse than advice from this guy--gorgeous thing dpchamp.

16. Cincy2

Cincy2 Karting

Feb 11, 2015
    Tampa FL
    On city roads in traffic the car is docile and unpretentious. The ride is smooth and the interior sound levels quiet. Everything you would want from a daily driver if you choose to use it as such.

But when you have open road, the monster shows itself. You don't need a race track to appreciate the razor sharp handling, heart stopping acceleration and symphonic sound track. This is truly the best GT by any measure ever sold by any car company ever.

Cincy

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I was almost convinced about the F12 superior features as a GT in almost every department but now I'm rendered. If I buy this car by the end of next week you'll be seeing me around here quite often.

Regards

18. dpchamp87

dpchamp87 Rookie

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks! It certainly suits the Blu TDF well. Every mile I like the car more.

19. dpchamp87

dpchamp87 Rookie

Jul 3, 2014
    The car is very civilized driven normally and the (Daytona) seats are superbly comfortable. It even has a hatch for goodness sake! The ride is not harsh or noisy and you always have the 'bumpy road' setting option. On the other hand when you get on it...

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #20 absent, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Same here, did about 2k kilometers couple years ago in France and Italy, my wife loved it and got a taste for Ferrari.
    Now she wants a GTC4 Lusso as soon as we finish our new home.
    Pic at La Mole Airport:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mark nice picture and I imagine that trip must have been a great experience and with your wife involved as well and liking Ferrari what a marvelous combination. If your wife already got a taste for Ferrari and if she wants the GTC4 Lusso if you can afford it don't hesitate for a second and make her a surprise on her birthday. I'm sure she will lend you the car when you want to go for a ride.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    She can drive too, before we got married, she was a co-driver/navigator in a private team Subaru in WRC 1989/1990 seasons.

23. Maciek

Maciek Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Maciek N
    If you don't mind me asking what is your ideal combo for F12?

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My ideal combo for a F12 is color Grigio Silverstone or Grigio Ferro with the seats and doors in cuoio and the dashboard and the steering wheel in black.

25. Maciek

Maciek Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Maciek N
    #25 Maciek, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Classy spec. Gray is a color that suits it well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login