Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by clarkster, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I just remembered my buddy's get out of speeding ticket story.

Officer: "What's the hurry?"

My Buddy: "I've got a first date with this girl that I've been working on for a month now. And she's (motion with both hands into cupping 2 basketballs in front of your chest) STACKED!"

He's batting a thousand with that one. He says the officers always walk away laughing. It's worth a try.

2. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I feel your pain, I got clocked doing 143 in a 993TT in a 55 zone. It was on the high way at 2:00am. A state cop was helping change a tire his car was infront of the car he was helping so I did not see him, nor did I slow down. Right when I was passing the car, my K40 (POS) went off like crazy. The cop went from a walk to a run, So I pretty much slammed on the brakes, and pulled over and waited for Him. He got out of his car and was laughing, so I thought I was going to jail. I waited for him to get to the window, and I handed him my licence registration, and my car keys told him to take care of her.

I just lucked out. His first comment was " I am not sure what was more stupid, the fact that you were going 143, or the fact that you stopped and waited", and then he said " Don't ever do this again ", and then he let me go.

But it put the fear of God in me.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Nobody out runs a Motorola" Thelma and Louise

4. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
  5. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    It all depends on how old you are?

I am guessing you are a young whipper snapper.

I am reminded of a story that my father's friend Tom told me about an adventure he had a couple of years ago.

He is a world traveler, but keeps a place in Florida. He gets home from a long journey and cannot sleep. He goes out into his garage and pulls the cover off of his Italian race bike.

And when I say race bike I mean an actual race bike that he used to campaign at Sebring (I think).

It is dawn and he finds a nice deserted highway. He decides to blow the cobwebs out of the bike. He hit triple digits in no time flat. The bike starts to lift up as he passes what he thought was an abandoned car.

He finally gets the bike back as it should and he decides maybe it is time to head home. He pulls over to figure out where he is. Right as he starts heading back, he is stopped by a state trooper.

"Son, now just who do you think you are." says the middle-aged trooper. Tom lifts off his helmet to reveal his gray hair and beard.

The trooper was so dumb struck that Tom was an elderly man, he figured no judge would believe that someone his age would ride that fast.

As to your specific situation: Listen to Speedy308 and k5mcl

6. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I think you can absolutely count on being dropped from your insurance since it is your third ticket. Also, forget about any type of diversion in Kansas for 2 reasons. One, your previous recent record. Two, at more than double the speed limit you have zero room to negotiate. Feel lucky that you were not arrested since some small municipallities will do this anytime you exceed double the limit. Especially in unicorporated towns were they need revenue.

Your lawyer is correct. You will not get out of the ticket. In fact, do not be surprised if they add additional "charges" beyond the speeding, such as reckless driving or maybe something akin to public endangerment.

Good luck no matter what, but I think you are definitely headed for a suspended license. I think the only thing that your lawyer could do for your is try to argue why you should be allowed to keep your license without a suspension.

7. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Hey lay off the man. This IS a FERRARI website, if you haven't 140+ why do you own one? Hey we have all done the samething at least once (some of us more regulary) but he was just unlucky enough to get caught.

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Hey Chaa: I hear Downing St. is looking to bollock up the situation for speeders even more (read below):

MORE PUNISHMENT FOR SPEEDERS
    Following the Government's recent proposal to add a five pound "victims' fund" surcharge to speeding fines, evidence is emerging of another, even more radical scheme to punish motorists. Under a top secret programme being developed inside Downing Street, all drivers convicted of speeding would be required to hand over the shirt off their back, which would be used to clothe low income families or other people whose personal misfortune has absolutely no ****ing connection whatsoever with doing 64mph in a national speed limit zone.
    'Drivers must be punished for everything,' noted one senior Whitehall insider. 'Even things they haven't done. That's why the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary are considering another radical proposal to help our hospitals which will again be supported by the motorist who will pay for the crime of even owning a car, never mind actually daring to drive it anywhere, by surrendering a pound of their own flesh'.
    'Jesus, the sooner we get that media manipulating, jug faced, lying **** Blair out of office the better,' said everyone in Britain, yesterday.

Regards,
    Hubert

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He didn't say he was driving a Ferrari.

His profile doesn't say ANYTHING.

Any one who goes 140+ on public roads is an IDIOT.

In case you wanted to know.

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

ATBNM3: You're a moron. Should you kill someone I love while you're excercising your pre-ordained right to drive your Ferrari at 140 + on a public road. God help you.

Clarkster: sorry man, but you're in some deep**** here. 136 in a 60 is more than 2x over the speed limit. The fact that you weren't arrested, and your car seized, right then and there is a blessing in itself; furthermore, the fact that you're given the discression to, hopefully, solicite the services of the best lawyer in your local is another. You're looking at either 1. a lot of money, or 2. some time, or 3. a very, very long period of probation, but it's almost certain that you're gonna lose your license -- since it's your 3rd in a short time. Good luck to you man.

12. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    My father had a 911, and got so many tickets in a short time that the Judge was going to take his licence away.

My Dad told the Judge that he really needed to be able to drive to do his job, so he would sell his 911, and buy a VW station wagon. The Judge was so amused at the idea, he told my Dad that if he brought in the pink slip of the VW station wagon and the sale of the 911, he would let him keep his licence. So that is what my Dad did traded his 911 for a VW station wagon, and he got to keep his licence.

Ture story

13. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas

Lucky for us he did get caught. He was merely asking for advice and we are giving it to him. He should be very thankful he is not in jail right now. Think about this....had he gotten into an accident and killed someone, he would be charged with criminally negligent homicide. Better him getting caught that one of us getting hurt. We all a duty to everyone else on the road when we drive.

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I love it!!!

Have a few dentist friends who keep going to court and being let off on the grounds that they were doctors responding to medical emergencies!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Darn right, my attorney charges $350.00 an hour.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now run along, Beemer boys!

Ya'll have fun now, here?

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You CAN get out of this, but you must find an attorney that specializes in traffice offenses. Jeannie Mucklestone can, with 99% certainty, get you out of traffic offenses. I gave this foolish kid at the local grocery store her name because in a 10 day period he got 5 tickets, to include three for speeding, one for driving without proof of insurance and one for negligent driving. $1600 and she got them ALL dismissed. Hope he learned his lesson, just the same. He says he did, as $1600 is a ton of dough for a stocker/checker...heck it is for me too!

Not sure if she practices outside of Washington State, but she may be able to get you a referral.

https://www.mucklestone.com/index.html

18. clarkster

clarkster Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    First: To all of you you who said "What an idiot" and whatnot... I just say "Thanks for nothing."

Second: I'm 44, and not an 18 punk.

Third: Here is the actual story. I was in a GT3. Had it for TWO days. Was enjoying a spirited drive through some nice twisties, and saw a stretch that went on for about 4-5 miles with NO traffic, smooth surface and just said "Let's see what this will do." Punched it up to 90... smooth as silk... little more... nice, nice.... and in just a couple of seconds I was over 130 and heading toward 140. I could have easily kept it going, and only spent about 2 seconds there when I started to back down and BAM - radar blasts and the cop was just sitting up ahead just waiting for me. It was an obvious trap.

Anyway... I'm not really interested in any wannabees telling me I"m stupid etc. I get that from my wife.

Obviously this is a Ferrari chat and there are som Ferrari owners who been over 100 before. I'm on this forum because I'm in the "Other Italian" section with a Gallardo. (And let's not banter about which is better either eh?)

Anyway... Your stories about what you told the police are all nice, but not realy helpful. I'm already home.

For those of you who offered actual real advice - THANKS much! To anyone else who has any, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

19. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Clarkster,
    I would definitley consult an attorney which it sounds like you already have
    and he has told you there is not much he can do.

I do think the prosecutor or judge will not be very sympathetic if you come
    in with an attorney and try to justify your error in judgement.
    As I said in my earlier post your best option may be to throw yourself on the
    mercy of the court.

20. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I really feel for you, but i've got to ask ----- WHY DID YOU PULL OVER AND STOP ?????

Tom

21. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    clarkster,
    I was pulled over in a small town too and given a big ticket, mind you I wasent going 140, but on the day I was to be in court I looked at the ticket and said o my god I am suppose to be in court today, I called and because it was a small town the JUDGE answered the phone and I explained how I was going real fast and that I was sorry. He asked me what I wanted to do. I said I would send him $180 and take 6 month probation he said that would be fine. Maybe you can call, before you get a big lawyer involved just to piss off the small town judge, and just ask what you can do to take care of it. He might be real forgiving just like mine was. Good Luck

john

22. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    You would be surprised as to how many immature adolesences come on here with similar stories. Ask Madturk.

I aplogize for any assumption that I made.

I also apoligize for offending you.

I was serious though. Pray and know that you most likely cannot get out of this. Be thankful if you get off easier than you or your lawyer think.

My previous reply was answering your second question. You asked if anyone has ever gotten out of a similar situation. I was just sharing a story.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I assume that you live in Kansas and this town is near your house.

Your best shots for the plea bargain will come on the eve of the trial, not your initial court appearance. Having said that, here's what you do:

When you get called in to your appearance, try to plea bargain down to a low violation. When it's low, tell them you won't take it and you'll see them in court (this takes major, major balls). When your trial comes, go to plea bargain again, and tell them you didn't take the plea before but you'll take the plea if they cut the last offer in half. They will probably take it down a little but that's your best shot.

In reality this is how I did it: I got pulled over for 85 in a 55 on the Ducati (empty road, cops hanging out behind a barrel, no joke). 8 point ticket and double fines.

I go the the initial appearance planning on trying the advice above.

I get a super uptight ADA and he pulls me into his office to discuss the plea bragain. He tells me he'll go four points. I say no points and a fine. He says four points, I say no points. This goes on for about 5 minutes. Finally he loses it and stands up and yells at me at the top of his lungs:

"THIS IS NOT A ******** FLEA MARKET!!! DO NOT BARGAIN WITH ME LIKE SOME PETTY STREET VENDOR!!!"

I was pretty taken aback by the outburst but before I could say anything, the ADA sat back down and said "three points." I figured it was better than risking 8 in court with this mad man so I agreed. The judge ended up throwing the fine out. I had to pay $30 in all. I did get three points, though.

24. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    An indiscretion that's going to cost you this time. Get the best damn lawyer.

25. ART360

ART360 Guest

The first thing that I'd do is to find out who is the best lawyer to use. I'd go to the traffic court, see whose appearing the most, and I'd ask them who they'd use if they got a serious ticket. I suspect your lawyer doesn't do this kind of work very often.

We've all done something like this once or twice in our lives. However, it wasn't too bright, as you probably now realize. Having said that, be prepared to throw substantial money at the problem, since you're not going to get away on the cheap. The first thing I'd try is a motion to suppress the evidence. You'd do that after you obtained the operating manual for the radar, the license for the radar, the record of the officer's training on the radar, and a record of all tickets in which the officer, and the radar had been involved in. You might also want records of the survey of the roadway, if Kansas requires same to use radar for ticketing.

After you have obtained the above information, a motion to suppress can usually be brought because it is very rare that the police have complied with all of the requiste requirements to prove that the radar was indeed being operated lawfully.

While that motion is pending, and before the judge denies it, it is time to see just what sort of deal your counsel can make. Hopefully you can get a one point ticket with a large fine. Usually, given your age and your repentance, they will just want to collect the money.

As to the felony charge: they are not required to Mirandize you for a misdeamor, while they are with a felony. That issue alone may entitle you to the lesser charge rather than the greater charge. However, minor crimes can still carry a little time in jail, say one year or so. That speed won't get you one year, but a few weekends, with a little community service is the usual.

I hope this helps, and now that even though you're 44, you've probably learned a bit of a lesson. By the way, your wife is probably right when she nags you about your behavior. Mine does the same thing, and usually she's right.

Art