Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by clarkster, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    All those who advised not getting an attorney because it would piss off the judge...your advice is plain wrong. If you are charged with a serious offense, make sure you get the very best attorney that you can.

As for throwing yourself at the mercy of the court--if you are this naive about the "justice" system, or this stupid, chances are you won't get any. And you don't deserve any.

Educate yourself.
    Get an attorney.
    Fight it--tooth and nail.

Hope you got my PM. Good luck!

2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    <I was in a GT3. Had it for TWO days. Was enjoying a spirited drive through some nice twisties>

Kansas has twisties?

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I started to write this post as a what an idiot post, but then I read his reply and remembered what I had done in the past (which I am way not proud of ... such as 100 in 30 zones ... when I was in my late teens).

I think though you are in serious trouble because that is really speeding, and while I was lucky back then, you have been nabbed. I have no real advice to give ... other than to pray and maybe offer your license to them for a few months ... I don't know.

One of the reasons why I always try to own a 'road' car that sucks in the speed department because I will always push it ... and we are not allowed radar detectors in NSW, Australia ... thus you have to drive with the attitude that a cop IS going to be around the next corner.

All I can say is I hope the GT3 experience was worth it ... :(

Pete

4. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Hubert
    future328driver
    Speedy308

I don’t take kindly to being called a moron. The name calling is one of the reason this website isn’t every thing it should be.
    According to this thread http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9013 you guys are in the minority.
    Also have you seen the thread I started http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7794 I’m not an idiot that doesn’t take account of his surrounding before choosing to go fast.
    The BMW comment was tasteless also. According to that anyone who doesn’t own a Ferrari should have no opinion at all on this website. What you don’t know are the circles I run in and whom my friends are. Other wise you might not say such stupid things. I plan on buying a Ferrari and have more than enough to buy say a 308 which I do love, but it’s not my dream car. When I do buy it will be a F355 in the right condition and at the right price.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And hopefully for everyone elses sake you will do the 140 mph on a race track. That is all they are saying. Just because you own a fast car does not give you the right to risk other road uses lives ...

If you have that attitude then you are a Moron ... if you don't then your post sure sounded like you believe that fast cars should be driven fast on public roads.

Pete

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MAYBE BUY 3 ORANGE JUMPSUITS EARLY...YOU WILL BE IN JAIL FOR A WHILE

3 TICKETS IN 6 MONTHS..NO SYMPATHY HERE....OWNING A DRIVERS LICENSE IS A PRIVLEDGE........YOU HAVE ABUSED IT.....

I AGREE WITH PSK...................

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

Your previous statements implied, that: because this is a ferrari site, and b/c ferraris are fast cars, going 140mph + is acceptable, b/c by your guesstimation a good % of the owners here may/may not have done. By my book, that's a moronic statement to make. Therefore, while you may not singularily be a moron, you're reasoning as above is.
    Pardon me for not making the distinction more succinct prior.
    My point is, and will be, that if you're competent enough to turn on the computer, and find this site. Then, you can just as easily find an open track even that'll let you go 140 mph til you're blue in the face, or sufficently stained in the shorts. (If you've got the car to do it.)
    I didn't make the BMW comment, so it's not for me to answer to. (As I'm trying to get my hands on an E46 M3 CSL -- I don't have a hard-on against Bimmers; at least not the M series anyway).
    In closing, going that fast on a public road is frivolous, at best. Everyone speeds, I concede to that "fact," but going 140mph+ is above and beyond that.
    Add not only the physical liabilities of such a velocity, but also the legal ramifications, and you soon reach a point of very diminished return -- actually, it's not even a point, is a giant black hole that sucks up your license, your car, your money, your driving record and potentially your freedom by way of an all expense paid trip to the 'pen.

8. clarkster

clarkster Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Look at a map. South East Kansas and Southern Missouri has some of the best drives in the country. Where do you think the Osarks are?

To all of the rest of you: Thanks for you helpful advice...

And to the BMW bashers: I have two (Z8, M5) - and they are a couple of the best cars in the world. Has anyone ever seen a bad review about an M5? Probably the best "bang4the$" in existence. But, I really hate arguing that stuff. It is so immature. Everybody likes the car they like - so what? Its a damn car!

And... I agree... the BMW comment was tasteless.

And to anyone justifying speeds at the 140 range...
    It's wrong no matter what car you are in unless you are on a track or the Autobauhn.

I've done it more than I want to admit, but that doesn't justify it. It's bad. I was wrong. Case closed. And there really shouldn't be any argument about it.

9. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I am neither naive or stupid. What I do know is he didn't explain what happened all he said was he got nabbed in a small town, if he was not arrested, just ticketed then why not make a 2 minute phone call, if the town is that small they probably do not care as it is a speed trap, and people get tickets there everyday. Maybe since it is a small town you can make a deal in 5 minutes on the phone if they say no, then get your high priced lawyer.

You people that have to go get your sissy attorneys to get you out of all your little problems make me sick I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on attys. fees when a phone call would have done the trick. Maybe I am just better than you at negotiating. I also had 3 tickets in the last 6 months when I got the ticket stated above. He could have called today and been done with it now he has to think about it all weekend.

john

P.S. please slow down!

10. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    PS: It's hard to hear about someone getting (potentially & seriously) screwed by the law b/c of such a thing, but you've got to take things in with perspective.
    I hope you, clarkster, fair well through this, regardless.

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    As for your ticket, I would guess you are 'Done and Dusted' in regard to driving for a while on cheap insurance. If you had passengers with you, shame on you. A blowout at that speed could have been deadly. It's just plain stupid to drive that fast.

You start fighting your ticket when you get pulled over. How do you do this? You shut up when it comes to ANY questions that officer asks you. ANY QUESTIONS. When the officer asks you questions, you need to say the following: "All I need to know is: Are you going to give me a ticket". The more you say, the more the cop gets to write down after you leave and use against you.

Art is correct about the radar info. I beat my last two speeding tickets this way (Radar). To augment Art's direction, I also asked for the make and serial number of the cops radar. One cop refused. I got off. The other cop gave me the info. When I told the judge (In both cases) that the manufacturer would not give me any information regarding recalls, unit returns, was the unit a previously refurbished system, etc., inclusive of getting information about where the unit was assembled and to see temperature profiles for the PC Board reflow oven (This could damage components), the judge threw both tickets out. (The temperature profile question threw the judge over the edge.That was a first for him that he nor the cop could not defend OR answer!

Just SHUT UP when you get pulled over. Fight the ticket in court.

12. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    There is a law in Colorado that mandates that all speed detection equipment has to "officially" calibrated at least once a year by the Dept. of Bureau and or of Standards. This defense has been used rather successfully in CO. It's worth a shot.

13. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Reminds me of one. Many years ago two of my friends got locked up for a road rage type incident. They were in cells side by side and one says to the cop, "officer do I get a phone call?", cop says "yes", he turns to the other cell and says, "Hey Sal, do you want pepperoni on yours?" LOL.

14. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

15. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    WTF is this? A threat?

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I for one feel for this guy. There are mass murderers out there and real criminals walking the streets...and don't come back with my wife is using the roads argument. Chances are your wife is driving a monster SUV, putting on her make up, slapping the kids, while having a sandwhich and talking on the phone...all while driving in traffic...THAT is unsafe.

If you aren't going to drive fast...then why did you buy a fast car? Did you just do it to impress the neighbors...or get a great spot at the restaurant? If that's the case...take your gold chain and insert it! If you just want to be fast at the track and only at the track...then buy a race car and use a 71 Vega on the street

I have years of track experience in everything from street cars to a vintage 87 March/Cosworth Indycar and while track driving is great, there is nothing like attacking a great road.....period! None of us know the actual situation that he was in...maybe it was safe. I have been through Nevada and S Dakota and been on roads where you can see for 10 miles and there isn't even a praire dog for miles and actually that would be safe. I know it's a heck of a lot safer doing 180 in the desert than it is riding my bike around Phoenix dodging knuckheads in SUV's talking on the phone doing 40.

I have been harrassed by the police before. I got a wreckless driving ticket in Colorado based on hearsay (there was no cop that saw anything)....just a complaint from a cell phone caller about the car that was travelling with me! I was able to plead it down to a tail light being out and 2 hours of community service. Unbelievable...since I wasn't doing anything wrong at the time (for a change!). :)

My advice is to find a great attorney (I would start with the one that was recommended from Washington as she sounds like she knows what she is doing)....and be careful!

Ciao

Dino

17. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Dino,
    awesome post.

18. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    DINO! DINO! DINO!

19. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas

If you read my posts again you will see that I NEVER made any comment about you. I was merely stating that it is better that he get caught than cause an accident.

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yes, but there is no guarantee that he would have caused an accident. You are assuming that an accident was a foregone conclusion. While (some) accidents might have speed as a contributing factor, most speeding incidents do not result in an accident. The overwhelming odds are, he would *not* have had an accident. Especially in that car, in those conditions.

If you look out through the narrow end of the funnel, you miss most of the view.

21. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    actually i think ur an idiot for posting that.

i don't know too many people with high performance cars that havn't tested out very high speeds on the roads.

22. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    <Look at a map. South East Kansas and Southern Missouri has some of the best drives in the country. Where do you think the Osarks are?>

Hmmm... thats a good question, I don't know where the Osarks are. Are they anywhere near the Ozarks?

Just kiddin' you, clarkster. The couple times I've been to Kansas I seem to remember the roads being pretty straight without a lot of elevation change. Glad to hear that is not entirely the case.

All the best luck with your ticket. davehanda from Seattle (like me) metioned earlier a lawyer here that keeps all of our driving records clean enough to eat off of. Surely there is someone like that down around your parts?

23. shelbee

shelbee Guest

If OJ and Scott Peterson can get away with murder, getting out 136 mph on 60 is a piece of cake :)

24. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i love shelbee. his posts are always calm and cool.

i cannot believe the amount of preachers on a ferrari board, what a joke. you must be a bunch of hypocrites because i can't believe that you havn't doubled the speed limit at some time in your ferrari. as dino said, it's not necessarily reckless or dangerous. doing 130 in my ferrari is far safer than doing 75 in my escalade. is it stupid- probably, but don't we by these type of cars because we like speed?

it's great to have such a supportive board when a fellow member asks for advice. geez

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    2x the speed limit in my Ferrari? Maybe once or twice, in a 30! I am being honest with this one: I have never, ever driven my Carrera 4 more than 8 mph over the limit. True statement.