Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by clarkster, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #101 BigTex, Feb 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sorry, you're totally right. Go haul a---.

Here's some hot Spanish babes that want to meet you.

Let me know when you catch them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Man oh man can your attouney spell diversion...

Place fork just inside if fluid is clear you are DONE!

76 OVER, PAY THE man!

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Not true. It's entirely dependent on how you come across to the cop. I have been in several cars pulled over for going over 100, sometimes the driver did not even receive a citation--merely a verbal warning to slow down.

Bad advice. No solo contendre is legally the same as a guilty plea, some defendants just feel better saying "no contest" instead of "guilty."

4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas

no lo contendre

5. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas

I am not assume at all that he would have cause an accident. What I was saying is that is is better that he get caught, learn a very expensive lesson, and not do it again (or save it for the track).

In that car in those conditions has nothing to do with it. It is the driver's responsibility. The car is not magically going to stop if there is a joger or a cyclist on the other side of a "twisty."

6. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I recently was clocked doing 121mph. I 575 around Atlanta, real good strect where I like to go fast. We would go up to 170 - 175 a few time up to 180 on that strech. Anyways I got caught doing 121. The judge checkes your record for the past 10 years. Which in my case that was the worst thing that could happen. I got 2 days in jail ( there is a thing called 1 for 2 in GA. so I went in around 6:00 PM and was out at 7:00 AM ). $1205.00 fine, 12 months probation ( $44.00 a month ) , 80 hours community work, 6 months suspended licence ( get this that is if I sell my 355 and buy an electric car. If not 12 months suspension.) And no passengers for 12 additional moths. It is getting worst for sure. I hate GA.
    I hate to say it but you are fuc....ked
    Best of luck dude

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Really? Wow! And here I was thinking that cars stop by magic!

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I think Art Chambers gave you solid advice. I would add the following: find out what lawyers represent the police department there. Hire them. Find out from your lawyers everything you can about the judge(s) and the arresting officer. You may decide that this should never get before a judge and Art gave you at least one good strategy (motion to supress) to put the case into a more favorable settlement mode from the prosecutor's perspective.
    Also, find out from your lawyers whether its the police officer or an actual prosecutor that ultimately presents the case to a judge. That may make a difference in who you or your lawyer approach.
    See if you can't get rid of the other tickets first, on a non-speed, non -moving violation basis. If the predicate is missing, you won't look like a maniac who has to be taken off the street.
    Talk to your lawyer about creative ways to make amends to the town/village, etc., including a stint at a local hi-school driver's ed program with one or another of your hot cars, telling teenagers that crime doesn't pay.

I am not going to moralize here, since many of us, myself included, have gone way too fast on the street at some point in our lives and most of us, thankfully, never did any harm to ourselves or others. But, getting a ticket like this should slow you down. Its zero tolerance out there, and even if everything is cool, no other cars or people in sight, its just too risky for a host of reasons. Good Luck.

9. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Speedy, do you even read the thread before you post? I posted a link to a thread of those same pictures I started here on page three of this thread. Heres the Link again just for you. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7794 BTW I started this threat on Feb 05 way before this thread was started.

On Feb 06 I added this
    Even though Ferraris are built for performance and driving over 100mph, we have to as drivers think about the type road we’re driving on, road conditions, and traffic before go WOT.

Please read the thread before going in half cocked.

10. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    Step one: Hire Johnny Cochrane. He will claim it was Al Cowlings (sp?) who was driving and produce tape of the white bronco chase showing him driving 50mph around LA for hours with police chasing him. (Your Honor, the man who was driving at the time couldn't have been speeding as the officer asserts, he has a long public history of driving slow on highways).

Step two: Put a pair of small black leather gloves in the glove box and have Johnny show the judge how they don't fit your hands so you couldn't possibly be the driver. ("if the gloves don't fit, you can't convict").

Step three: Have Johnny get the venue changed to LA county where you can appear before Judge Ito. That way, Johnny can claim it was all a conspiracy by Mark Furman (sp?) to bust you.

Guaranteed not guilty.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, soory tvrfreak, but I have had people panic and get upset. I whizzed past a car on the open road many years ago at only something like 110 mph and they probably would have been doing say 60 mph (assuming they were sitting on the speed limit). Admittedly I whizzed by him fairly close, ie. not much gap between, etc.

When I looked in my mirror the car had swerved left and lights were flashing, etc. ... thus not 100% happy campers.

Whatever way you slice the dice tvrfreak there is no justification for taking every other road users life into your own hands ... thus take it to the track.

Pete
    ps: I still speed and I am no saint (lost license, etc.) but there are limits and I have matured to realise that most drivers, in my country anyway, are fully occupied just keeping their car on the road, and do not need somebody else adding to their distractions.

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Holy crapola!! Really surprised they socked it to you this hard. Bummer.

13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    If a judge ever told me to sell my M3 and buy a hybrid so I'll lower your sentence. I would tell him where he could stick it.

14. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Howdy,

Just a curious passerby wondering if there is any update here? I would like to know what happens/happened...thanks!

Cheers,
    Travis

15. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    When I was younger I got caught doing 106 in my supercharged 4x4 toyota tacoma with a empty trailer on the back. It was 3 am on the 5 freeway no one arround..I was also in the fast lane, a big no no with a trailer. I got the best lawyer in town and still got convicted. 2 points that lasts for 7 years and 1 lasts for 3....3 points all together and $2K in attorney fees.. There is no way to get out of yours....just pay the fine and buy a radar dector...I dont leave home without mine anymore.

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    f you ask for a plea bargain to reckless driving you could get off the felony. Did you evade the Cops ? thats probably where the felony came in

17. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Get a different lawyer, if the one that you have has already given up then you need a different one. Posting here is a good start but there are certainly lawyers in your community that will have some positive impact on the magnitude of the ticket. Get out of it....not likely, but someone can decrease the sting your about to suffer.

ken

18. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hello,

To get the active screen shot I hit alt. print screen, then open paint and hit control v.

Works for me.

19. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Dude, just consider yourself lucky you don't live in Australia or your biggest concern right now could be picking your cell bunk.

If you want advice on this kind of thing you can look up here: http://www.blurofinsanity.com/Speeding.html

20. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    this kind of situation is why it's worth keeping your record clean of any/all tickets - so that you can have a clean record when it really counts...easy to say, not always so easy or cheap to do, tho...

if worst comes to worst, i like the idea of selling your car & getting a beater...however, be sure you do a 'paper' sale to a friend(NOT a family member), so that later you can have your bud 'sell' the car back to you...note that your bud may not have to have it registered(which would mean paying hefty sales tax), just another paper sale back to you.

Attorney probably really is the way to go...

21. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Art is on the money... BTW I assume reckless endangerment was charged.

I have owned many high performance cars and have done 160+ on a highway.

But I've done it in Neveda, Arizona, etc where you come over a hill and the road stretches in front of you as far as the eye can see with no other traffic.

Dude, I worry about your judgement. To witt:

1. The fact that a cop was in the area indicates a "rural" area.

2. 4-5 miles of twisties means limited visibility - you did not even see the cop.

3. You did not have the sense to use a radar detector.

4. 3 Tickets in 6 months...so you get a ticket every other month?

You scare me man. You're the guy that will pull a pass on a solid/double yellow line. It's not an issue of speed....rather an issue of judgement.

22. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I can't believe the absurd "you're unsafe because you're doing over the speed limit" (and are you really safe because you drive 60mph?) rants come up on Ferrari boards. Holy crap ... I could write pages and pages on the subject, but that would hijack the thread even more.

Only advice I can tell you is get a good lawyer, one that doesn't say "you have no chance"

BTW, Enzo did drive like a bat out of hell on the open roads. I remember some journalist (an editorial from Road and Track, I believe) saying he had the chance to get a drive with Enzo on the Emilia Romagna backroads, and he had never been so scared in his life.

23. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Dude I feel for you. I have done that very thing myself so I am not judging you but as they say if you do the crime you gotta do the time. If you know you did this you just have to face up to it. That is the risk you take when you do something like that so you just have to take what ever comes. I would just tell it like it is to the judge and hope for the best. If I were the judge I would be angry at anyone that knows they did it and tried to get out of it. Just fess up and maybe the judge will cut you some slack.

24. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    If I were you I would learn to pray. :)

25. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    I got caught doing 146 on a 55 in Florida. Result: something like $500 in fines, don´t know how many points on the license, suspended license for 90 days. Judge did not even want to bother with me, and I lost my cool when the cop insinuated that I was drunk. Paid the fine, lesson learned, keep it on the track.

I did consult with some attorneys (I was 20 when this happened) and none thought they could fix this for me. Not much help, but at least you have an idea of what could happen when you go to court.