Advice on tax implications of selling and buying a car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Advice on tax implications of selling and buying a car?

Discussion in '348/355' started by [email protected], Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Easier said than done in a lot of states.

I'd love a dealers license but In Michigan I need to have a contract with a repair facility within 10 miles of my location or be a licensed by the state repair facility with all the mechanic licenses which is just a money grab by the state. Then a physical location that's zoned commercial and so much more BS in order to get a license. They make it difficult on purpose.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's a lot easier in FL. You do have to have a physical location that is not residential, but it's pretty easy and small square footage requirement and warehouses are pretty cheap here.

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    After a year long term gains rates may apply, but yeah still ya should pay otherwise they'll
    Not the same thing.
    Cars are not recognized same way securities , collectibles and some other investments are by the IRS.
    IRS assess vehicle appreciation at ordinary income rate.

I suspect the only up tick in cost basis you an get with an appreciated car value is the cost of furnishing & installing permanent material in it if done so. ie , repair of a damaged vehicle, but I'm not sure.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My buddy is trying to get me to use my 15,000 sq manufacturing facility to partially fake as a dealership for a dealer's license. I don't really know how it all works, and frankly, I'd rather not deal with the extra headache. He's got about 20-30 cars for personal and just likes to buy and sell to try new cars as a hobby. Main reason he wants to do it is to simply save on Sales/DMV Tax on a purchase (10%) and annual registration fees. Luckily (or unluckily), I don't have these first world problems. Mo' money mo' problems :).

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    One thing I know I would NEVER do is talk about any of my personal finances online :)

6. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    I am hearing of cap gains taxes possibly being raised to 40% by EOY..

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What are the requirements to have a dealer's license in CA?

@TheMayor

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I never had a dealer's license in CA but I did look at it maybe 20 years ago. I think all of this can be found online.

ShineKen likes this.
  9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #59 randkin, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    You must have heard the Beatles song - The Taxman, and yes they do tax gains on a car sale!:D
    Not sure if it is cap gains or ordinary income, would repairs/upgrades serve to increase the basis in the vehicle and thus reduce the gain on sale? It would seem logical but who ever said tax laws were either fair or logical.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    There are tons of articles on the internet about this. https://groco.com/article/the-tax-side-of-dealing-in-collector-cars/ is one for example. The only issue is that the IRS has never come down on whether cars are collectibles. And from Keith Martins Sports Car Market

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    100 on this