Advice on TSA problem | FerrariChat

Advice on TSA problem

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Catherine, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    I must be the most unlucky person alive because I have been flagged by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) as a security problem. This requires that I be "manually cleared" every time I check in for a flight. The check-in person walks away with my driver's license to make a call (when there is a phone sitting right there), then comes back to get my itinerary, then walks away again, then finally gives me a boarding pass. This has happened for my last four flights.

I had one person make this call in front of me. She read everything off my driver's license, confirmed that I was the person in the picture, then read my itinerary to whomever was on the other end. She told me that she didn't know the reason for doing this, but she was the one that told me I was "flagged by the TSA." I cannot use online check-in or the electronic kiosks at all anymore.

This is fairly disturbing. I am in no way a security threat. Has anyone ever heard of this or had it happen? Is there anyone I can call to find out more or get it to stop?

Thanks,
    Cat

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Catherine, this is the only thing i can think of...

From what i understand Ted Kennedy (yes, THEE Ted Kennedy) has the same problem, everytime he tries to fly somewhere... Why...? Someone with the name "Ted Kennedy" is a security risk... i suspect that someone with the same first and last name as you is a security risk or is not allowed to fly at all... So when you go to fly, that name comes up in the system with all sorts of red checks or exes and bells and whistles and all that other jolly nonsense... i would say go to the airport, personally, ask to speak with someone high up the food chain and see where you can from there... Has this happened with several different airlines, or has it all been the same one...? The biggest problem is there might not be anything that anyone can do...

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes...

3. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Sen. Kennedy said that he had been flying the same flights for 42 years without any problems. Hard to know what tripped it. But, as the other poster said, you should be able to work your way up the food chain at TSA and get someone who can help you.

4. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I think that my oldest brother is on that list. I know he gets stopped a lot at the airport when he flies home. He writes a lot about having to take off his shoes for them to x-ray. His laptop is confiscated and they search it.

I have no idea how one gets on or off the list.

Oddly enough my brother was once at Sandia National Labs.

5. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    a) Carbon brings up a point that I had not considered.

b) It could be identity theft.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When i was in grade school, three different students were all named David Diaz; two of which, were in my class...

i'm not suggesting identity theft, rather, i doubt the government ever considered the possibility of Catherine's plight when they were constructing their "list"... i'm merely subscribing to the good possibility that someone out there, who, coincidentally, has the same first (maybe middle) and last name as Catherine, is on said list... Damn, it feels good to be named Carbon... :)

However, now that you've mentioned it, identity theft is always a possibility as well...

7. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I understood what you were saying. Your post just just brought identity theft to my mind, that is all.

They were two seperate thoughts.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ok, i wasn't sure... Still, the suggestion of identity theft was a good one and another world in the realm of possibilities to be considered...

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    He's likely been STUDYING that same flight all those 42 years & probably ferreting away explosives or other weapons on board throughout the years. Clever terrorist bastard!!

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Welcome to post 9-11. I wonder if you could just change your name like another person did on here ;) Let us know if you find a solution to this PITA problem?

11. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    That'll work! When traveliing, I'll use my alias - Catherine McCarbon!

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's right, Catherine... Just mention my name and...

...hey, wait a minute... i thought you were trying to AVOID problems...? :)

13. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Roy James
    I work for DHS and I get flagged by the screeners everytime I fly. The sad thing is we approve everyone who flies in/into US airspace and everyone who works for the airline and airport. It's all based on a statistics and name matching system. Just be patient, and give us time. There are a lot of kinks in the system and requirements for us to fill for being such a new program.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, now we all know why Carbon changed his name.

15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There's actually a TSA ombudsman who handles these issues. I'm not sure if the office is set up yet or not, but there is a line of recourse... I'll check around and see if I can find the contact info. I remember seeing something about it recently in regards to the Kennedy issue.

-R

16. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
  17. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    If any foreigners here knew which Homeland Security project I was working on, I'd probably get flamed off the board :)

Can you say fingerprints + mugshots at the airport/seaport/land crossing? Buhbye privacy...

-R

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't have a problem with it AT ALL, Robin...

If all the government and airline security people who had CASHED PAYCHECKS in the past for DOING their job were actually effective, there'd still be two more tall buildings on the New York skyline.

All the CYA since then has been totally window dressing, IMO. Instead of HIRING more wankers and security people they should FIRE a few.

Every time I've seen old people humiliated, been personally inconvenienced by screening and almost MISSED flights in which all I had was the carry on bag in my hand, I'm reminded that the modern United States is based upon every body "appearing" to be effective in their security role.

There's about 4000 dead people and their families that know the truth.

Terrorists??? Hell, if they just cleared the US of all the passport violaters, VISA abusers and smuggled illegal aliens, this place would...ECHO.....ECHO.....ECHO......

HELLO.......HELLO.......HELLO.......

Speedy308, who really IS who he says he is....LOL! And it'd be a crazy and brave S.O.B. to steal my past identity and history....here, roll up some of this...they missed it.........Nice doggie.......

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'll have to DRIVE everywhere from now on, Dr. Cat! LOL!

At least it brought you back to post! :)

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Of course, there'd be no one left to mow the grass and run convenience stores, but still........:)