Aeromexico Embraer crash - Durango | FerrariChat

Aeromexico Embraer crash - Durango

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Aug 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That would explain it....

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Or maybe not setting the flaps/slats properly for takeoff. That has caused a few similar crashes in the past.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Gonna disagree on this one. You never have to take off. I watched a couple of vids on this....classic example of a micro burst on the departure end of the runway. I landed once where there was a MB about 3 miles from the end of the runway. Not a problem because I could land in the first 3rd of the runway.
    Take off is a whole nother animal.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why is it always Aeromexico that crashes?

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Even if you're beyond V1? Since you're likely to go off the end of the runway if you abort then, I think your chances would generally be better if you continue the takeoff.

Consider the 1962 707 crash in Paris that wiped out most members of the Atlanta art community. The pilot aborted after V1, the plane wound up breaking up in a gully beyond the end of the runway, and nearly all on board died. The investigation revealed that if he had just continued the takeoff, nothing negative likely would have happened. (The problem the pilot encountered was resistance of the nose coming up at rotation due to improperly-set stabilizer trim. In spite of the trim imbalance, investigators think that the airplane would still have been able to climb out properly if the pilot had continued rotation.)

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, where I think the Aeromexico pilot erred wasn't in continuing the takeoff, but in starting the takeoff roll in the first place. The passenger's video indicates that the weather was terrible all the way down the runway. Even if the tower gave him clearance, he has a better view of the conditions than they do.

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

You have two decisions, start the take off and V1. In this instance, he should have never started the takeoff roll with a big black curtain of rain at the end of the runway. That was the the first mistake. The second mistake was the FO for not overriding the PIC. This, IMHO, is a cultural thing. Similar instances have happened in Asia and the Middle East. PIC is the Big Dog and the FO will not interfere. Recipe for disaster. There are two able bodied persons in the cockpit and they each have an equal say.

You never 'have' to get off the ground.......ever.

Texas Forever likes this.