After 15k still problems. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

After 15k still problems.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jscar71, Jun 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't understand the logic that it is a fuel injector leak, if fuel has drained out of the supply side it should quickly respressurise the system when you start, and why would this cause a problem when it was hot but not when cold ? What makes more sense is a vapor lock due to the heat, the pump won't pump vapor, so that would be my guess. When it happens again try quickly cooling it off somehow, a bag of frozen peas on the fuel pump cured old Triumph TRs with the same problem !!

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Had this problem with my 328. Replace the check valve first, it is cheap ($25). If that doesn't do it, then take it somewhere where they have the equipment to check your pressures. Injectors is possible(leaking into the cylinder, not outside the engine). If yours were never replaced, they are the older Bosch steel injectors, which are known to have problems, and corrode. The other possibles are the fuel accumulator (previously mentioned) and maybe the warm up regulator.

To learn more about how the system works (I think yours is like this one), read this:
    http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm
    Easy to read and really helps to make sense of the FI system on your car.

3. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here is why (remember, I am NOT a mechanic, so may be completely wrong), when hot, leaky injectors basically cause FLOODING, it has nothing to do with loss of pressure (or less to do with loss of pressure). When cold, the extra fuel has evaporated, so it is starting on the "cold start circuit", and all is well.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul

OK yes I see your point, that could be the problem in some cases I agree, my 328 is sometimes harder to start when hot. If it were caused by the flooding then it should be quickly cleared by crancking and maybe with the throttle floored, and you may also expect to smell it. I would guess that the fuel system heat and wear of the parts you mention such as accumulator would be prime candidiates for most of the problems. I plan to install some insulation to try and reduce the heat around the pump and piping areas.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Insulation really shouldn't be necessary. You too, have the old steel injectors (if they have never been replaced), it would be a worthwhile upgrade to replace them all with the updated Bosch brass ones.

And yes, upon hot start, if I gave it some throttle, it would always overcome the problem and start.

6. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    GOOD NEWS AT LAST. My hot start problem seems to have gone away. I changed the Fuel Pump and the Gas filter for good measure and the problem seemed to have disappered. Started it and stopped it all week-end with different time intervals in extreme heat after a short drive and a long drive. It started right up all the time.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THAT RESPONDED. It made my Grand Prix Weekend unforgetable.

If it comes back I will post on this thread, and will try some of the other suggestions.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Congrats!

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Glad to hear you fixed it, can you tell me where you bought the pump and the cost ?

9. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Ordered it straight from BOSCH it was around $500