After 2 hours with my new F40 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

After 2 hours with my new F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Steve, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    where are the pics, man ???

I need to see the pics.

Show the car.

2. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Congratulations on the new car Steve. Your website was one of the things that really turned me on to Ferraris many years ago. Glad to see that you are still going strong.

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Most favorite car ever. Congrats.

4. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Steve, Post some Pics …. Please?

5. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Steve, many congrats on your wonderful purchase! F40's are the best!
    Enjoy the car!
    And euh... you know we love pics over here :))

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    PIX! PIX! PIX! PIX! PIX! PIX!

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congrats!

A must - give you kudos for your site - in particular, the documentation answered a lot of questions about Ferrari running costs long before I joined F-Chat. Thanks, and...

Godspeed!

8. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Congrats on the car!!! Superb choice! Tom, one more year to go in Canada!!! Saving my pennies as we speak. Ready to work on one?

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Allan, you just don't listen... he didn't post 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, or lap times. Given he's uncomfortable with the car right now, they'd probably be pretty sad. Rather, he posted how he felt when he drove the car... the driving experience. And yes, that is what Ferrari's are all about... and that is what makes the F40 so great.

And that is my favorite kind of Fchat post... great post... great car... congrats!! Please post your driving experience "after 2 days", "after 2 weeks", "after 2 track sessions", and whenever else the mood strikes you! ;) Have fun!

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congratulations Steve! I know you've been waiting for years for it. Sounds wonderful!!

(BTW everyone, Steve was the catalyst in my Ferrari addiction - he gave me my first ride in his 348 Spyder back in 2000, and here I am)

11. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I'm very happy for you and you'll forget about the other F cars in the garage..I sure did it myself when the LM came in.
    You're right about the stock brakes and you'll worp the rotors after tracking the car..See if you can step up to 18" rims/tires and get the Brembo kit with the big rotors. DO NOT take the drilled rotors !!! Take the slots one.
    Black Hawks makes "cheap" pads and the maintenance beside the elecronics can be done home. It's an easy car to maintain. If you don't need in your state the catalist, drop them ,the turbo make the noice OK on the road. I'm driving the LM with full open pipes...
    ENJOY< ENJOY,
    Roland
    F40LM

12. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Bring it down to Roebling & I'll show you how to drive. Dude, can you say "Sweet"?

13. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Sorry - I took pics when it was coming off the truck, and then I drove it till it was dark. It's still dark here this morning, but I promise some pics later today! :)

14. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Congrats. This is what ferrari is meant to be, although i've never been certain about turbos. Does it noticeably lag? Does changing the exhaust affect how quickly it spools up?

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congrats! Please post pics! (We never get enough of them :).)

16. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Wonderful post, Steve...while reading, it felt almost like being in the passenger seat! Again, congrats to you on such an amazing machine!

17. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Congrats, and after reading through your website I like you even more! Since I have three Tivo's and didn't understand much of your hacking advice I will have to drop you a line and get the laymans version! Enjoy and can't wait for the pics.

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Awesome!

I sat alone in Rick's F40 the other week, while he ran inside a restaurant to pick up some dinner. It's just silly how much attention the car gets! I've even seen hot girls kiss his car. :)

What an awesome ride!

Enjoy!!

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please keep the driving impressions coming. They help the day go by faster...

20. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Hey pics coming off the truck are still pics!! :D

Congrats Steve

21. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    The factory brakes SUCK.

Get the December 2002 issue of FORZA. Brembo used my F40 to design a brake system upgrade for the F40 that is bolt on and is INCREDIBLE.

IMHO, you will have to upgrade (replace) the factory master cylinder as it is the "weak link". If you have UNLIMITED money, you can buy (if you can find one) a LM peddle box, but it a tough amount to swallow!

I can email pics of the dual master cylinder setup designed by, (but not sold by Brembo) for an F40 using the stock peddle box.

You can do all of the above without altering the car.

The complete set-up is around $12,000 installed, far less than a LM setup which is totally undesirable for the street.

LM turbo's are great, but you will need the Carobu racing chip to make them work correctly. I have tried 3 different chips in my F40, no other one works as well, in fact the dyno sheets show that the factory chip is very good, the other 2 I tried made LESS hp and torque than stock and Carobu actually showed significant gains. I have gained 85hp over the stock setup at the flywheel, that is about 72hp at the wheel.

If you have 18" rims, by the way, the brake upgrade will work, they will not fit with 17"s.

I have no cats, Tubi test pipes and Tubi Competition exhaust (No mufflers) very loud, very cool. I also have Tubi sport exhaust when sound is an issue (like at Laguna Seca).

Good luck!

Chris

22. Athrill

Athrill Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Metro New York
    Steve:

Glad to hear the car arrived and you immediately took advantage of it. I guess your brief test drive here in New York didn't give you an opportunity to experience the "shortcomings" (no view through the rear, etc.). That's easy enough to get accustomed to. You're right about the brakes (even with the new pads). The LM upgrade, which is highly recommended, runs close to $20K.

Even though you've only had two hours in the seat, you now know the thrill of driving an F40. Both sons were here yesterday and I caught a lot of crap for selling it to you. Not about you, but for selling the car. It is like no other Ferrari, even if you are accustomed to a Testarossa. knowing that you plan on driving it on the street, I reiterate my cautions about potholes and dips in the road (I had to find a longer route out of my neighborhood because of bottoming out).

The gas tank does hold more than 10 gallons. I occasionally had the issue which you described. Although the two tanks are connected, I sometimes felt only one was filling. You might want to open both caps when filling the tank. This might push the air through as your filling. Just a suggestion. Or, fill each side separately and see if that works.

The long wait and anticipation are behind you now. Simply enjoy.

Regards -- Ron

23. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Steve,

Congratulations again and it's good to see you on FChat! ..... it's about time!

I can't wait to see your F40 and hopefully get a ride? I know you want to drive my Boxer, so that sounds like a fair trade.... right? ;)

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Steve,
    I would really like to hear from you your first impressions about driving it through town, in terms of road obstacles and bumps and dips. How much of a PITA is it? I have spent some time behind the wheel of a business partner's F40 but the roads were pretty nice. I would like to hear a little of what you think of that.

EDIT: Oops. Ron I did see that you mentioned that a little bit in your last post. Would you mind letting me know a little more about that? You can PM me if you prefer. What I am after is how usable is the car around town. I don't drive my current Ferrari around town often but I do need to get out of downtown in order to get to the mountain canyons and back roads. Thanks.

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congratulations! I'm feeling very envious right now. Can't wait to see the pics.